[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I hate this hobby

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 12

File: 1474255738481.gif (4MB, 171x200px) Image search: [Google]
1474255738481.gif
4MB, 171x200px
Why are guns and gear so fucking expensive? Why can't I stop buying shit?

>tfw dropped $300 on a damn flashlight
>last week bought level 4 rifle plates, I have no use for that kind of body armor

Help me
>>
Just stop buying unnecessary tacticool shit
>>
>>31404238
I FUCKING CAN'T
>>
there are worse things in life to spend money on. if you had told me when i started out how much i would eventually spend on AR parts, i would have called you crazy.
>>
>>31404246
buy at a reasonable price then and don't fuck it up and you can sell it later
>>
>>31404222
>Why are car parts so fucking expensive? Why can't I stop buying shit?

>Why are weeaboo toys so fucking expensive? Why can't I stop buying shit?

>Why are PC parts so fucking expensive? Why can't I stop buying shit?

Welcome to consumerism. Enjoy your stay.
>>
It's the kind of shit that has practical uses and can appreciate in value over time even with use. At least you're not buying anime girl figurines or comic books.
>>
File: 1437746622026.jpg (110KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1437746622026.jpg
110KB, 640x640px
>why are guns so expensive
>I bought all this non gun shit
>>
>>31404222
>$300 on a flashlight
I still don't get why people do this. For an optic, sure, but you can get the exact same electronics in a weaponlight for 50 bucks. Surefire buys all their parts from chinese factories.

Plates are cool but overall not likely to be useful. Apart from range accidents you're unlikely to be wearing them when taking a bullet.
>>
>>31404222
if it makes you feel better i spent $60 on a fucktoy

but unlike the shit you bought im actually gonna use the fuck outta mine
>>
>>31404246
if you're a free american you should have a basic level of military equipment that meets a certain level of quality. Over time, the equipment that you should have will change.

currently the equipment that you should have is

current issue rifle of the US armed forces, AR/M4 with appropriate amount of magazines and ammo, buis, 4x scope, sling, and light.

a sidearm capable of accepting standard capacity magazines, an appropriate amount of mags and ammo, and at least night sights

a way to carry that shit.

and a plate carrier and level 4 plates.

so yeah you dropped somoney on shit that will be useless 99.9999 percent of the time.

but if you need it, you're REALLY gonna need it.
>>
>>31404222
Could be worse OP. You could play Warhammer 40k(the 40k is how much you spend on your first army).
>>
>>31404288
>Why are car parts so fucking expensive?

That's the fucking truth. My bumper fell off a month ago and a single new OEM screw needed to put it back on would have cost $15. I couldn't even find a screw of the right diameter in my local stores.
>>
Don't listen to the normies. You'll be the one laughing when you gotta hump a full combat load with proper PPE and they try to stuff their shit in their college satchel or a garbage bag.

Good luck duct taping plates on your $100 T shirt fags.
>>
File: 1473504449431.jpg (85KB, 480x455px) Image search: [Google]
1473504449431.jpg
85KB, 480x455px
>>31404222
Personally I'm over it. I have all the guns I want, and loathe to do the upkeep on them. If I could chuck a 20 at someone to clean a gun, I would do it in a heartbeat.
>>
>>31404357
Your car sounds German. Like Audi or VW German.
>>
>>31404337
Pretty much this. Probably be better served by a red dot than a magnified optic desu, but for target id at range it helps. Also get appropriate survival stuff.
>>
>>31404355
Kek
>>
File: 1471838082857.jpg (16KB, 350x300px) Image search: [Google]
1471838082857.jpg
16KB, 350x300px
>>31404337
>>
>>31404370

Nigga where you at? If you got neat gats if you let me chootem I'll clean em for free
>>
>>31404288
>tfw 280 whp, RWD, and custom suspension geometry for under $1500 including the cost of the vehicle
>tfw 2100 points of SoB, 1500 points of GK, and kill teams of Elysians, Imperial Fists, and Eldar Corsairs for under $500 total
>tfw [email protected] and 2xHD7970 for about $1200 years and years ago
Hobbies are only expensive if you suck at them.

>>31404357
That's what zipties are for.
>>
>>31404371
It's a fucking toyota. I couldn't believe it.

That means screws for a German car are probably $30+. Or maybe they at least give you the courtesy of using a common screw size.
>>
>>31404222
The man with one rifle is more fearsome than the man with 10.
>>
>>31404411
WI, jus clean 'em afterwards...
>>
>>31404357
what diameter and TPI ?

was it metric? plastic?
>>
>>31404417
I managed to get it back on with a combination of zipties and imperfectly fit screws.
>>
>>31404453
They ended up being around a size 12 pointy screw. It was for the bumper tab bit.

It's designed to bite directly into the plastic. It's fixed now.
>>
>>31404300
shake the fuck out of a rayovac, fenix, thrunite, etc.

drop them in water, down a few flights of stairs, leave them on the passenger seat of a car in the middle of summer/winter, bust out a window with it, bang it of COUNTLESS door jambs while it hangs on your duty belt, let a battery leak in one, then clean it out with pipe cleaner and gun solvent, then tell me how many of those off brands still work...

there are only 3 flashlight brands that i trust, surefire, streamlight, and maglight.

maglights have a bad habit of making batteries leak and corroding ip the inside, plus they can be heavy and I dont like their tailcaps and they dont innovate fast enough. Other than that they are completely dependable.

surefires for handhelds and rifle lights, streamlights for rechargeable handhelds or pistols, maglights for home, car, and 6Ds for areas/jobs as an improvised weapon where you cant have real weapons.

trust me, Ive been thru lots of shit, and sticking with those 3 brands will save you a ton of money and headaches
>>
>>31404246
I understand your pain op

>so many unfinished projects
>pieces of gear that only work with other pieces of gear you van't afford

Once you know the difference between quality gear and cheap china walmart crap you end up spending 60 on a fucking holster because you can't use cheap shit
>>
File: 1473459954541.jpg (53KB, 648x484px) Image search: [Google]
1473459954541.jpg
53KB, 648x484px
>>31404288
>mfw I pay for all 3 somewhat regularly plus gun shit
>>
>>31404437
thats rarely true. someone with 1 gun generally uses it for a hobby that happens to involve guns, but doesnt necessarily practice outside of that specific use for a gun. for example, a dove hunter may be great at using a shotgun to hit things flying through the air or a deer hunter may be pretty decent at hitting a 4 inch square from 300 yards from a static position, but these things dont necessarily translate well into actual self defense or combat use.
>>
>>31404222
That flashlight will serve you for years and years. You'll see yourself in fifteen years and still have that same light that works just as it did when you first got it.

As for plates, assuming you didn't buy ar500 like a retard, a bit unpractical but not too stupid.

Stop buying shit, learn to become a shooting enthusiast, not a gear enthusiast. Spend $100 on a protimer, run drills and improve yourself as a shooter.
>>
>>31404324
I use the fuck out of most all my gear
>>
>>31404472
I agree.

My Thrunite is fucking up, some of the brightness levels stopped working (electronics problem), and the pressure switch was cheap chinese garbage (fucked now).

>>31404523
quiet, I'm trying to convince OP to become proficient with one rifle and not want any others.
>>
>>31404523
plus if S ever HTF I totally plan on giving all the funs I don't get priority for to my noguns friends/family. what good does being skilled with one gun do you when you're facing a small team of equally/better armed combatants?
>>
>>31404530
I already have 10 other perfectly good lights
>>31404298
You calling me nogunz, faggot?
>>
>>31404558
theres nothing wrong with owning a lot of guns and learning to use them all. its all the other tacticool shit thats a waste of money.
>>
>>31404355
I feel bad for newcomers to the hobby. I remember when GW were slightly less jewy.
>>
>>31404558
I have a fenix PD35 that I love.

every once and a while shit just wont turn on right. Normally just shake it and it goes back to being ok. dont know why

but I dont want that one fucking time it decides crap out to be when Im clearing a trap house at 3am.
>>
File: 1441235284370.jpg (89KB, 244x331px) Image search: [Google]
1441235284370.jpg
89KB, 244x331px
>>31404370
>local gunsmith does full ultrasonic cleaning and relube with CLP or customer supplied lube
>$35 for long guns $25 for hand guns
>owner sneaks my handgun barrel and slide in for free when there's extra room because I keep buying cleaning patches or hollowpoints from him every other week

You sure you don't have a gunsmith near you that does cleaning?
>>
>>31404472
I've got a Fenix PD-35

>drop them in water
Done that a lot
>down a few flights of stairs
It's been dropped several times off of bridge decks, onto concrete, and onto asphalt
>leave them on the passenger seat of a car in the middle of summer/winter
Done that.
>bust out a window with it
Why would I bust out a window with such a small object if it doesn't have a sharp point for breaking windows?
>bang it of COUNTLESS door jambs while it hangs on your duty belt
I guess I'm not as clumsy as you, but like I said it's been dropped off of a bridge deck.
>Let a battery leak in one, then clean it out with pipe cleaner and gun solvent
I haven't had any 18650's burst on my, if one does vent, I think I'll have other things to be worried about than whether or not the light works.
>then tell me how many of those off brands still work...
Yep, she's still choochin'

Also, Maglites are not $300 flashlights.
>>
>>31404337
This. It is your duty as an American who is part of the national militia to be properly armed and prepared.

I'm planning to look into some plate carrier stuff soon. I have no need for any of it of course, anybody who isn't in the military or in chiraq or something doesn't need it, but if I do need it, I will REALLY need it.
>>
>>31404560
Same. When The Great Happening occurs I plan to open up my closet and hand a gun to each of my family and closest friends.

One day I'll be an arsenal. But for now I'm but a twogunz (Mosin and AR)
>>
>>31404560
giving people who have never had an interest in guns/shooting or any prior experience a gun and telling them to help defend the homestead is a seriously bad idea.

1) they'll shoot you
2) they'll shoot themselves
3) they'll shoot anyone except for who you want them to shoot.

guns are a natural thijg to most of us but you need to remember that you're in a bubble here and at the range and that joe average is going to do retarded movie shit when you hand him a gat without instructions because that's all he knows.

then you plan on doing that in SHTF where people are already tired, amped up, hungry, pissed off, and confused.

are you trying to make a disaster cake, because thats the recipe...
>>
File: 1467888680712.jpg (111KB, 387x376px) Image search: [Google]
1467888680712.jpg
111KB, 387x376px
>>31404668
Don't worry anon, we all start somewhere. 2 years ago all I had was my grandpappy's .22 and an unconverted Saiga 12. Now I'm up to about 11 funs and growing. I've made it my new years resolution to buy a gun a month this year, and despite spending an asscrack ton of money, I can still keep myself afloat and am only 3 months away from being done. Next year I'm focusing on stocking up on ammo and accessories.
>>
File: 1467596894103.jpg (136KB, 1913x953px) Image search: [Google]
1467596894103.jpg
136KB, 1913x953px
>>31404337
I have all that except plate carrier and plates.

I also have a 3L camelbak and an assault pack.
>>
>>31404337
You'll die in the first week unless you're also fit, can navigate, can do first aid etc.

Unless you can do all that you just like the idea of shooting baddies. Buy a vidya game and give up.
>>
>>31404650
>Why would I bust out a window with such a small object if it doesn't have a sharp point for breaking windows?

because thats what is in your hand when the window needs busted.
>>
We need detailed maps and GPS for the militia, right?
>>
>>31404784
I don't think it'd be a very effective tool for that, but fair enough. I doubt it'd kill the light though.
>>
>>31404799
This. Everybody gets plates and a blowout kit, but I never see these mallninjas taking on orienteering.
>>
File: 1.jpg (66KB, 720x588px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
66KB, 720x588px
>>31404783
>Implying I don't have an armored motorized cart and plenty of Neosporin and Bandaids.
>>
>>31404650
>I guess I'm not as clumsy as you, but like I said it's been dropped off of a bridge deck.

its not clumsy, dickhead. when you have a belt full of shit and you wrestle someone out the door or into a car, or you're trying not to step in a certain spot because detectives are complainy children, or there's garbage everywhere, or cops/medics/FFs trying to go thru a space at the same time then things get knocked around.

and as I pointed out, I have a fenix, its my second fenix, I had a TK11 and it had the same problem with occasionally dimming/failing to turn on. so yeah, dont trust it with my life, and I've bought surefires for less than I paid for the PD35

on a rifle?

yeah surefire or bust. literally
>>
>>31404337
>People will spend this much money on this much kit because they either view it as a responsibility or operator dress up fun time
>Won't spend half an hour a day doing the bare minimum exercise needed to make any of that shit useful in a serious use environment
>Won't spend the time to learn how to navigate
>Will spend tons of money on gear but then never do any serious training classes because they cost too much and take too much time

I don't understand the gun community sometimes
>>
>>31404300
>Surefire buys all their parts from chinese factories.
Bull Fucking Shit, that's a lie and you know it poorfag.
>>
>>31404783
>You'll die in the first week unless you're also fit, can navigate, can do first aid etc.

you do realize that plenty of unfit people have survived well into old age in very very bad times?

your post sounds like you're repeating something you read on arfcom.

you could just stick with "you will greatly increase your chances of survival of you work on being in good physical shape and practice avariety of survival related skills"
>>
File: GUCCI TRAIN WOO WOO.png (35KB, 703x337px) Image search: [Google]
GUCCI TRAIN WOO WOO.png
35KB, 703x337px
>>31404238
This guy has it absolutely wrong.
>>
>>31404803
>I don't think it'd be a very effective tool for that

its really not, but the sharper bezels on some of the lights (the one im talking aboutin particular is a SF defender) do an ok job of it.
>>
>>31404357
What size, I have about 2,000,000lbs sitting on my floor right now waiting for pick up.
>>
>>31404867

I know basic first aid.
I workout almost every day for around 45min.
I know admittedly little about land navigation, but am familiar with my county and don't plan on calling in artillery or airstrikes if shtf.
I go to the range quite a bit and try to incorporate practical shooting. Even though I've never gone to a super tactical Vickers or Haley class, I know manipulate my funs well and do dry practice.
>>
>>31404222

All the cool hobbies cost money.

>Guns
>Motorcycles
>Boats
>Planes

And so on. Want a cheap hobby? Take up chess.
>>
>state adopted a registry
>haven't bought a gun for 6 years since
>only ever going to have what I can build for myself from now on (I made a 1911 it goes bang)
Cry me a river.
>>
>>31404867
young, fat, fit, old, frail...

a 223 in the chest is a 223 in the chest.
>>
>>31404337
lmao are you fucking serious
hitting the gym and being fit would be a million times more useful than all the shit you listed
>>
>>31404953
This is the kind of shit my fuddy uncle would post on Facebook
>>
>>31404872
SF, maglights, and most streamlights are US made.

I think Pelican is US made as well, but I dont have any experience with them
>>
File: 412412.jpg (46KB, 548x420px) Image search: [Google]
412412.jpg
46KB, 548x420px
>>31404975
>>
>>31405000

Because obviously we're all autistic and cannot even fathom the possibility that a person is capable of doing two separate things.
>>
its okay OP I have the same problem

I bought TRP Operator because MUH OPERATIN SPRINGER even though I could have gotten a RIA 2011 Tactical if I wanted the blocky 1911 look (I'm probably going to buy a half rail or normal 1911 later on)
I'm thinking of buying a Noveske lower because muh Noveske even though it's all looks
I'm struggling over X400 Ultra instead of TLR-2
>>
>>31404990
and he isnt wrong

how many servicemen, fully kitted up in $50k worth of gear, who trained for hours and hours, and are in top physical shape, have been shot by a woman or kid with a rifle?

>>31404975

where do you guys think the saying "god made man, sam colt made them equal" came from?
>>
>>31404337
you make me feel much less stupid for having a lvl4 setup and a .50 cal.
>>
went to put more money down on a .500 magnum i have on layaway. ended up buying a 1932 turkish mauser. went back the next day and put a mossberg 500 cruiser J.I.C. on layaway as well. went back today to give them more money... now i have a ruger sp101 on layaway.... on a semi related note, has anyone ever spent so much money at a pawn shop that the store owner starts texting you saying as a thank you for the business they are giving you free stuff?
>>
>>31404500
>mfw I do too

Guns take priority over car stuff though, car is mostly just insurance/ gas/ maintenance at this point.
>Nendoroid Galko happening this month
>Revoltech Deadpool In October
>Nendoroid Hotaru Shidare in November
>>
>>31405051
Training and conditioning don't guarantee survival but they increase your chances massively

Remember, for every coalition soldier killed in a gunfight, the people they are fighting against lose a ridiculous number of people, even if you remove numbers killed by airstrikes, artillery etc and just look at deaths as a result of direct infantry action the ratio is obscene

An untrained group will get its ass handed to it by a trained group 99.9% of the time

>Sam colt made them equal
No, he really didn't

Try carrying just a rifle and five or six mags of ammunition for hours at a time, then try sprinting one hundred metres over rough ground with it and trying to shoot something 50m away after doing that, hard right?
Now add in all the gear, the plates, the water, the boxes of spare ammo, the wet and warm kit in your pack, your food and doing that again, and again and again, try crawling 50m with that shit on your back

Combat is still a physical activity, physical training pays dividends
>>
>>31404758
why do i have an erection looking at this
>>
File: babby ewok.jpg (7KB, 268x177px) Image search: [Google]
babby ewok.jpg
7KB, 268x177px
>>31404298
>>
>>31405209
>Combat is still a physical activity, physical training pays dividends

never said it wasnt, and you're right all of that shit is hard and sucks and being in good physical shape is important in everyday life and would be more important in an emergency.

but luck is a bitch and guns are an equalizer, and retirees that have been hunting for rhe past 60 years with the same ought six with custom loads thay shoot minute of molecule at 300 yards and know every tick in their AO is what you need to be scared of.

just like in the box, if that soldier who just rucked 15 miles with 120lbs of gear stops in jubas crosshairs to catch his breath then it really doesnt matter who was in better shape.

same with some old fucking fudd.
>>
>>31404288
>tfw I like cars and guns
>lol fuck my wallet
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.