[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Vepr any good?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 7

File: vepr76239type216_1.jpg (12KB, 521x154px) Image search: [Google]
vepr76239type216_1.jpg
12KB, 521x154px
Is the vepr 7.62x39 any good? I was thinking about getting this as my first gun (as a range toy, I live in funland) and the price isn't too bad.
>but x looks better gdt that one
No I like the looks of this
>get it in 7.62x54r
I prefer x39, but if x54r is functionally better then maybe
>just get ar
No

Also general vepr thread
>>
>>31396182

I've got one in 5.45x39 and its a fantastic rifle.
Built like a tank, too.

I've put 3 1,080 round spam cans through it with no jams or problems at all.

If I were to buy another AK, it'd be a VEPR.
>>
>>31396190
Sorry going full retard. What the difference between vepr and a AK?
>>
>>31396182
Veprs are like getting a Rimjob from a qt European redhead but doesn't speak English so she can't understand your safeword and also might be underage but you are too scared to try to find out and hell it's okay over there and you probably won't get laid until you suck up enough pride to forgive your ex girlfriend then wallow in self pity with a pint of Wild Turkey American Honey because you can't handle a fifth because every time you drink a fifth you get sloppy drunk and call your mother and you just can't do that to her for the fourth time.
>>
>>31396204
Different manufacturer. Vepr is a civilian model, mechanically basically similiar.
>>
>>31396182
If you're looking for just a range toy, then get one chambered in 5.56/.223

Ammo is cheaper, and since it's your first gun, you should be putting a lot of ammo downrange for practice
>>
>>31396204
RPK parts. Better steel.
>>
>>31396204

Well a VEPR is actually more like an RPK than an AK.
So essentially a beefier version of an AK.

Specifically, VEPRs have a 50% thicker receiver, a much thicker barrel, reinforced trunnion, and windage adjustable rear sight.
They also have a hammer forged chrome lined barrel, and a slant cut receiver.
The slant cut receiver means you'll need to buy an adapter to use most aftermarket AK stocks.

iirc Molot (the company that makes VEPRs) also makes RPKs for the Russian military.
>>
>>31396182
the only real problem is you have to convert them if you want to use 30 round mags. ive got one in 54r and it works great. if i had to choose right now id get the .308 or 5.45 version though since the 54r surplus will be all dried up for a while.
>>
Best AK probably
>>
>>31396215
.223, 5.45 and 7.62x39 are almost identical in price with 7.62x39 being the cheapest non-remanufactured brass case available.
>>
File: my vepr.jpg (537KB, 1787x579px) Image search: [Google]
my vepr.jpg
537KB, 1787x579px
>>31396182
Another Finn-fag here,
Got a .308 Vepr couple years ago, love it to bits. Very smooth action, sexy as fuck, comfy to hold, and very accurate with the 3-9x scope I got with it.

Was planning to get a 7.62x39 Vepr as my SRA rifle, but missed an opportunity to grab one for cheap online, so I went with a Norinco instead.

The 7.62x54R Veprs are said to be a bit... finicky. You'll be stuck on single-stack magazines, you gotta make sure the rims of cartridges do not overlap in wrong way... things like that.

The magazines for these larger caliber Veprs are also much harder to come by than the 7.62x39's, since you can just slap regular AK mags into them; some models may require inserting a bullet-guide into the guide for them to work tho'.

>>31396204
Verps are sporterized rifles based on the AK action. The 7.62 Vepr would be pretty much an AK, through and through.
>>
>>31396236
theyre single stack mags. kinda hard to fuck up. the only problem with them is that the capacity is reduced to 5, which was no big deal a couple years ago when 54r was 20cpr but now that its ~5cpr more expensive than .308, it leaves no reason to buy the 54r version unless youve still got a shitload of surplus or a hardon for 54r in general.

non-americans will have to make these judgements based on their own countries ammo prices though.
>>
>>31396213
So are you speaking from personal experience? Or?
>>
>>31396213
>pint of Wild Turkey American Honey
What a baby back bitch.
I can put down a fifth of 101 and still fuck your mom.

Try getting into barrel proof bourbons to get a better tolerance.
>I enjoy 126-130 proof (depending on the barrel) Bookers, and 120 proof Knob Creek Single barrel.
>>
>>31396182
nothing wrong with them but you will need to install a bullet guide if you intend to use surplus double stack mags.

i wouldn't get one in 54r, i have one and if you're set on a proper rifle round go 308 instead.
>cleaning corrosive primers is a pita
>there's minimal cost difference between 54r and 308 currently
>308 ammo is more available and available in more variety
>the aftermarket 54r vepr mags are huge and honestly even the factory ones are pretty shitty and there is nothing that can be done to fix this unless someone makes metal magazines
>while 308 is marginally ballistically inferior to 54r it won't really matter

>>31396204
vepr is a sporterized RPK.
RPK is basically a heavy AK intended for use as a SAW, somewhere between an assault rifle and a LMG. Receiver is heavier (1.5mm vs 1.0) and reinforced at places internally, the trunnion is also reinforced (characteristic bulge visible next to the handguard), heavier barrel profile.

>>31396213
go to bed nigger.
>>
>>31396302
>while 308 is marginally ballistically inferior to 54r

proofs?
>>
>>31396359
both shoot ~.30 caliber bullet. Casing size is quite similar. Both are Moose legal in many places.

Rest, you can Google.
>>
What about the .30-06 version? Is it worth it over 54R? A lot of reloading options in that cartridge.
>>
What's the difference between a VEPR and a Saiga anyway?

What parts are different?
>>
>>31396433
different manufacturers.
Different magazines for one.

I wouldn't expect much anything else to fit out of the box on the other either.
>>
>>31396283
Whiskey is diluted in order to bring out its natural flavors against the alcohol. Drinking whiskey at cask strength means you' basically drinking a flavorless bottle of alcohol in a sad attempt to get drunk as quickly as possible.

Anon, you shouldn't be talking down to others when you're a fucking pleb, you look like a teenager desperately trying to be cool in front of an older sibling's friends. It's fucking sad.
>>
>>31396424
.30-06 inferior, .308 superior
>>
>>31396563
Don't listen to him, he likely buys ammo in bulk and wonder why he can't get better groups.
>>
>>31396507
>Whiskey is diluted in order to bring out its natural flavors against the alcohol
Over diluted usually and a lot, if not all, the subtle nuances are lost.
1 or 2 drops of distilled water will open up barrel proof bourbon very nicely.

>Drinking whiskey at cask strength means you're basically drinking a flavorless bottle of alcohol in a sad attempt to get drunk as quickly as possible
>Cask
It's a barrel europoor and no.
When I do drink barrel proof bourbon, it's a slowly consumed drink.
Just enough to wet my mouth, so I can actually taste the flavors and not just the alcohol.
And while my palate isn't as complex as some arty farty "taste testers/reviewers" I'm aware what tastes good, to me anyway.

Now when I want to party, it's Wild Turkey 101 for putting drinks away, because it has some flavor while still maintaining a little kick.
And I wasn't necessarily "talking down" to him, just ribbing him for drinking the American Honey which is a bitch drink.
Only women and faggots need a "flavored" bourbon.

>Oh and Veprs are awesome.
>>
>>31396507

This. Add some water to that cask strength or your just deadening your taste buds with too much ethanol anyway.
>>
Also considering a Vepr. Was thinking x54 because I have a lot of it, but it looks like 308 will be better going forward and I'd like me some double stack
>>
>>31396283
>I can put down a fifth of 101 and still fuck your mom.
to be fair, it takes everyone else a fifth of booze before they'll fuck his mom, too.
>>
I own the 23 inch 54r Vepr. I don't have any experience with the other ones but I fucking love mine! Mags for the 54r are weird but you won't find better unless you're looking for a Tigr or NDM 86.
>>
The biggest thing I have against the vepr is that it has a really fugly handguard. If I were to replace its standard handguard and gas furniture with RPK parts, would that be a poor decision, or are there aftermarket parts around for the Vepr?
>>
File: wm_5759790.jpg (203KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
wm_5759790.jpg
203KB, 2048x1536px
Can anyone explain to me why the hunter/super are so much more expensive? I really prefer them for A E S T H E T I C, but there are higher platforms on my list if I'm dropping 2k
>>
I own a x54r vepr. Its an excellant rifle. Don't listen to everyone bitching about lack of surplus. Would you honestly shoot corrosive ammo through a 900 dollar gun with a gas system? No, I doubt it. Just buy 174gr brown bear for 45 cents per round and you will be fine.

Css specs is releasing 10 round all steel mags that look sexy at the end of the month. Don't worry about it.

Also, a major advantage that no one has mentioned is there are russian pso and posp optics that come calibated to x54r and x39. The 308 doesn't have that advantage. You will be stuck with a wonky looking set up involving a side mounted rail system, and a scope mounted to the rails on top of that. It looks fucking retarded and that fact always gets buried.
>>
>>31397027
there is no reason to shoot commercial 7.62x54R

people only shot x54R because it was cheap surplus, outside of that there is no value when .308 is more widely available and superior in every way
>>
>>31397031

>more widely available

Go to ammoseek.com. search x54r. See hundreds of vendors selling x54r for the same price as 308 in everything from 148gr to 203gr in fmj, soft point, and match. Walk into walmart and buy it off the shelf. Continue to deny reality to justify my purchase of ak in weird caliber

>308 is superior

I wasn't aware that having less ballistic performance and using a cartridge that rifle wasn't originally designed for made a round superior.

Try harder 308 fag
>>
>>31397016

They aren't anymore. You can buy them at $800 which is nearly the same as the other Veprs, but their quality has turned to absolute shit since they signed a deal with FIME. Most pre-FIME guns are expensive just because of rarity and the importation fees they went through at the time.

The new ones got rid of the fluted barrel, and the stock is a dark walnut which is crudely carved and even comes to you unfinished.

t. dissapointed super buyer who didn't do his research first.
>>
>>31397085
>less ballistic performance

vatnik pls
>>
>>31397090
Post pics of your rifle.
Your rant sounds exactly like other bullshit "pre-FIME" posts meant to elicit more money for said rifles.
>>
>>31396213
I can get down with that
>>
>>31396666
>Wild Turkey 101
Christ I haven't had that in awhile. Drank way too much a few years back woke up in a puddle of bourbon and the Chipotle I ate; in someone else's bed.
>>
>>31397135
I don't have it with me now since I sent it off to get the border around the stippling fixed, because it looked like it was carved with a pocket knife. All in all, It's only the stock that has major issues, but that's really the only reason people even buy the supers over a regular vepr. The actual gun itself is still excellent, but its parts look like they wetr borrowed from the regular vepr minus the safety lever. What this means is no fluted barrel (a gimmick anyways) and you cannot have a top mount because the dust cover doesn't have the mounting holes.

Also, I'm seeing pre-FIME supers on armslist for no more than $1,200 and even a used one for $600.
>>
File: 20141103_164501_zpsznxauwar.jpg (74KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
20141103_164501_zpsznxauwar.jpg
74KB, 1024x576px
/k/ I'm stuck, should I get a vepr or a slr107-36?
>>
>>31396229
>Brass case
>7.62x39
get a load of this guy
>>
File: P1070183.jpg (3MB, 1920x2560px) Image search: [Google]
P1070183.jpg
3MB, 1920x2560px
my veprs
>>31398296
Is the 36 number strictly about having some railed grips?
Veprs are really nice, but I'd much rather have the slr than a sporter rifle. Personally, I put much higher value on a normal ak with ak-74 features than vepr's thicker barrel/receiver etc.
Also, I'd ditch those rails and put on normal furniture the second I got that rifle if it were me.
>>
>>31396215
>.223 cheaper than 7.62x39
Where? Cheapest .223 I've seen is 25 cpr and cheapest 7.62 × 39 I've seen is 20 cpo
>>
>>31398366
gun-deals.com puts them both at about 25c/r after shipping for steelcase
>>
>>31396996
There are aftermarket handgaurds that don't require any additional parts (mostly rails or SVD style), but you can slap on RPK handguards if you get a bolt on RPK retainer for like 40-60 bucks and a new gas tube.
>>
>>31396996
ironwood designs make furniture
>>
>>31398379
>>31398648
Great to hear.
>>
Is saiga a shit? I know they are functionaly the same but whats the real advantage to the vepr? More accurate? Is it really that much more durable, saiga isnt exactly die cast aluminum. I plan on also owning a vepr but I was planning on putting a lot of money in the saiga but wondering if putting it into the vepr would be more worthwhile.
>>
any bigger maga for the 30-06 vepr in existence? seems like it wouldnt be something too hard to make or make the 5 round one longer and a bigger spring.
>>
>>31399609
The Vepr receiver is 50% thicker, period. It is just more sturdy all around than the saiga. And if you are looking at the 12GA stuff, then you totally want a Vepr (works fine out of the box) over a saiga (works fine after you spend time and money tweaking it).

OF course, don't believe that the Vepr 12 has any sort of auto-adjusting gas regulator to deal with low power shotgun shells; that's bullshit. It is just extremely over-gassed, and built like a tank so it doesn't care.
>>
Anyone know of any good places on where to find some good handguards for veprs, or some instructions on how to swap out its stock rail with RPK parts?
>>
>>31399933
This. The Vepr will handle everything from ridiculous bear-killer slugs to birdshot without any adjustments or tweaking.
>>
>>31400000
Checkem
>>
>>31400000
Quintuples confirmed, the vepr will blow bears apart, and safely preserve fragile birds.
>>
>>31399827
>bigger maga
There's a 95 story one in downtown Chicago.
>>
File: 1472246688990.jpg (125KB, 472x472px) Image search: [Google]
1472246688990.jpg
125KB, 472x472px
>>31400000
czeched
>>
>>31400065
MOOOOOOOOOOOOT.
>>
>>31400065
>>31400067
>1 second apart
wew
>>
>>31400065
Just south of the Sears tower?
Love that little park out front.
>>
>>31400097
That's Trump tower, and it's north of the Sears tower on the other side of the river.
>>
>>31397090
>>31397135
Where might I find such a rifle, buyer beware noted? To be honest I haven't done much googling, but preliminary searches have only turned up 2k rifles
>>
>>31400146

Armslist and gunbroker. Right now, it seems like the former has the better selection.
>>
>>31400308
Are they mechanically any different, or are they basically just fudd intensified Veprs?
>>
>>31400000
i think im gonna go for making my saiga to an AKM clone and put more money into the vepr as my dream custom rifle. Thats why I wanted the saiga anyway since its russia as it gets.

thanks /k/ ive been bitching on here for like a week since i saw some good price veprs and mad that i have this ugly plastic unconverted saiga but i have come to my senses
>>
>>31396213
Shut up, Colin
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.