[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

iron sights

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 8

File: h2myxtd.jpg (68KB, 612x960px) Image search: [Google]
h2myxtd.jpg
68KB, 612x960px
aren't iron sights enough? finnish sniper simo hayha only used iron sights. I just don't understand the need to attach a heavy piece of glass that can run out of batteries. Why do you guys use scopes/ red dots? Why not just git gud with irons and keep it simple?
>>
>>31395333
Tacticool is name of the game, boi.
>>
>>31395333
Faster target acquisition, better for mobile combat.
>>
>>31395333
if human wave assaults of soviets was still the threat then people probably would be fine with irons, but a lot has changed over 70+ years
>>
I'm slightly colorblind and nearsighted. Even when I'm using irons I'm using glass.
>>
>>31395333
>this retard aint gucci

leave
>>
>>31395333
I'd iron her sight if ya know wat ah mean
>>
Red dots are faster and better for moving targets. There are red dots out there (read Aimpoints) that are arguably just as rugged if not more so than irons. They also can be left on and batteries left unchanged for years. As far as magnified optics, target ID can be very important and for snipers who don't hunt dumb Bolsheviks at close range a good scope is essential to the job.
>>
Iron sights are good enough, but optics are better in every way. If Simo Haya could have had an Acog or Elcan, he might have gotten more kills with his rifle than his PPSh.
>>
>heavy
>batteries

you can get a leupold fixed power 2.5x20 scope for like 300 bucks that only weighs 6 ounces. or you can not be a poorfag and get a 2x20 acog that only weighs 6 ounces. neither run on batteries and theyll both shit all over irons in effectiveness. irons should be strictly a backup in these days with all the choices of optics that exist.
>>
>>31395402
i am indeed a poorfag, what do you recommend for an ar15 that's 1-4x and costs less than $300?
>>
The biggest problem I have with iron sights is that you cant have your sights and your target in focus at the same time. This can slow things down tremendously. Iron sights are better in video games.
>>
I still prefer irons on pistols, shotguns, lever actions, and maybe 22s that I'd use for plinking, but for combat/defensive rifles or long range I'm taking an optic of some kind.
>>
>>31395410
leupold vx-2
>>
>>31395410
Used strike eagle or leupold patrol something maybe.
That price is just below the lower cusp of variable low magnification scopes.
>>
>>31395333
Faster sight acquisition for CQB and MOUT.
>>
if you guys could only have one would you rather have a red dot or a fixed magnification scope?
>>
File: 1395702207004.jpg (1MB, 2816x2112px) Image search: [Google]
1395702207004.jpg
1MB, 2816x2112px
>>31395726
Mounted on what?
>>
COD Generation.

Ironically an AR15 with the full-stock will offer a quicker sight picture due to a natural cheekweld than most of these fagtron optics nerds use to put 30 MOA groups on paper.
>>
>>31395768
pistol obviously
>>
>>31395371
That was a stretch, like what my dick would do to her pussy.
>>
>>31395410
Yeah, just save 30 more bux and get a strike eagle.

i've got one and i fucking love it
>>
>>31395794
ar15 plaform is superior in all ways any other gun is a toy
>>
>>31395333
cute little toes mmm
>>
>>31395333
Not everyone has 20/20 vision, anon.
>>
>>31395837
I'm tossing up between the vx hog 1-4 and strike eagle 1-6. Similar price, the vortex is illuminated and a bigger tube.

Anyone want to weigh in?
>>
>>31395960

SE m8. You can get them shipped for 275 shipped during sales.
>>
>>31395333
You're not Simo Hayha.
>>
I'm no military historian, BUT, I'm betting Simos high body count had more to do with the art of concealment, than extended ranges.
If he could have taken those shots further away, I'm sure he would have.
Also, modern range estimation, via a mil-dot scope, has only been around since the 1970's.
>>
>>31395333
>I just don't understand the need to attach a heavy piece of glass
>that can run out of batteries

The heavy optics generally aren't the ones that use batteries, dipshit.
>>
>>31395333
My Aimpoint lasts like eight years.
>>
>>31395333
What was good enough 80 years or whatever ago isnt good enough now.
>>
>>31395924
You sir, are correct.
>>
File: images.jpg (8KB, 265x190px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
8KB, 265x190px
>>31395333

Simo used scopes too you dumb ass.
>>
File: 1439477050264.jpg (191KB, 1600x1584px) Image search: [Google]
1439477050264.jpg
191KB, 1600x1584px
>>31396722
>post a pic of Vasilij Grigor'evič Zajcev
>>
>>31396722
That's Zajcev you capitalist swine
>>
I'm a noguns europoor, I've heard that iron sights will always be the most accurate option as long as you can use them and see your target. Sounds like bullshit, but is it true?
>>
>>31396933
That's just a lie.

Simply not true.
>>
What do you people plan to do when SHTF and your optics break/run out of batteries and you never bothered to get proficient with irons
>>
>>31396990
16 years and 8 days ago I turned 15 years old too.
>>
>>31397105
That's not an answer
>>
>>31395333
He was so close to the enemy that a scope was useless.
>>
>low light
>dark targets
>target obfuscation
>no need to align sights
>quicker to acquire
Can you get by on irons? Absolutely. Do optics have objective advantages? Absolutely.
>>
>>31396933
Then why doesnt NASA use iron sights instead scopes to look for aliums?
>>
>>31395794
>he doesn't know that irons are superior in COD
>noob
>>
Why not have irons AND a scope?
>>
File: 56456.jpg (177KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
56456.jpg
177KB, 1000x667px
>>31397238
because it is gay
>>
>>31395333
Where do I buy one of (((those))) mag holders?
>>
>>31395333

Enjoy trying to use irons at low light.
Also no matter how gud you git with irons, you'd be better still with an optic.
There's nothing wrong with using irons, they're fun. But don't pretend they offer the same potential as optics, or that all optics are massive, heavy, fragile, expensive and eat up batteries. That's just luddism.
>>
>mfw no one has noticed that she has a gun in a bar.

you guys really should not own firearms
>>
Peep sights > iron sights
>>
>>31395396
>PPSh
You retarded?
>>
>>31397248
Why? It seems pretty practical to me. Especially those sideways sights.
>>
>>31397248
>all BUIS are offset

No anon, you are the gay.
>>
>>31397272
Are you?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suomi_KP/-31
>>
>>31395768
not having my cross-hairs correctly aligned would drive me batty
>>
>>31397288
That's not a PPSh?
>>
>>31396933
You've never even shot an airgun?
>>
>>31397288
That's literally not a PPSh. The PPD was a copy of the KP31.
Do you just call any subgun with a drum mag a PPSh?
>>
>>31397261
>Not realizing this is in Israel
>not knowing they have mandtory conspriction
>not knowing they are required to carry their firearms with them.
>not getting all this from the mag holder
This is /k/, get better at austim
>>
>>31397305
http://www.scout.com/military/snipers-hide/story/1540059-canted-rifle-level-scope
>>
>>31397252
It's an (((Israeli))) mag holder, just google it and you'll find all sorts of places to buy it.
>>
>>31395794
>an A2 naturally fits my exactly average body geometry and therefore fits everyone else perfectly too
>>
>>31397261
this post gave me cancer, treated it with chemo, and then gave me a different kind of cancer
>>
>>31395333

Iron sights: hit that guy
Telescopic sight: hit that guy in the dome from 100 yards+
Red dot sight: hit that guy with both eyes open in low light
>>
>>31397305
It also makes the gun not fire where the scope says it is since the alignment goes one way and the gun is pointed another.

You can make it work at a certain range, but adjustment to elevation will just cause it to adjust windage slightly with every click.

This is of course assuming OP just didn't buy terrible glass that printed the lines wrong.
>>
>>31397265

Wot

Peep sights are iron sights

Iron sights is an overall term for the sights on a gun

Types of iron sights include

-peep
-diopter
-Notch and post
-buck horn
>>
>>31397315
I have, why?
>>
>>31395794
>my favorite aiming implement is so inferior and outdated even the US military has mostly finished phasing it out a long time ago; I'm trying to cope by ridiculing everyone who isn't a fedora memester, but I still feel empty inside

gg faget
>>
>>31396990
Trijicon, Aimpoint, Schmidt & Bender, and others make very durable optics, arguably as durable as irons. With Aimpoints the battery life is very good and can be left on for years and a lot of the ACOGs use tritium which will also last years. Even if SHTF, you really think you wouldn't be able to find batteries? I mean you could always keeps a few spares if you were concerned, they're cheap and lightweight. I'd say occasionally practice with irons, but if you get a good mil spec non-Chinese tier optic and mount, you don't have much to worry about.
>>
Plus you can always get backup irons.
>>
>>31397435
see >>31397364
tl;dr, as long as you're using the scope properly, it's not a big deal (aside from autism, which is fine, you do you)
>>
>>31395371
I'd have missionary sex with her for the sole purpose of procreation, if you know what I mean.
>>
>>31397261
Clearly in a jurisdiction that allows it. I'm guessing Israel

You ought to go back to /r9k/
>>
>>31397444
Have you not shot with both a scope and iron sights?
If no, then you ought
If yes, then you've answered your own question
>>
>>31398295
But anon that means dumping baby batter into her ovulating womb, your tip mashed against the mouth of her cervix
>>
>>31396990
I don't buy cheap chinkshit optics.

If I manage to break a magnified scope, I've also broken the rifle it's attached to.

I'll die of old age before my aimpoint's battery dies because I actually turn it off when I'm not using it.
>>
>>31395333
>Simo Haya
>who killed almost all of his kills at less than 100 yards
>where over half his kills were with a submachine gun
>who had an environment so target-rich he almost couldn't miss even blind-firing
Great example there m8
>>
Here's the deal with sights.
No one needs an optic. However, it will make a good shooter great, and a bad shooter mediocre.

I have a couple optics but I still practice with iron sights because they are how you master the basic shooting techniques. However I store with optics on and shoot with optics when I'm hunting.

I am a better shot with glass than without, but that doesn't mean I give up on iron sights. I keep getting better, they help me shoot better with glass. Its a continuous improvement model. But if you don't practice then it doesn't matter, glass or iron, you're not going to be proficient
>>
>>31398894
>no one needs an optic
Except western hunters, who typically have to shoot at >200 yards with light rifles that preclude the installation of high-quality diopter sights, either offhand or from improvised substandard shooting positions.
>b-but it's still doable!
Not ethically, no it is not.

And then there's military/police snipers who are expected to engage at >500m, sometimes with people they absolutely cannot accidentally hit within feet of their target. Zero room for aiming error.

And then there's competition shooters, where literally a thousandth of an inch can be the difference between first place and 17th place.
>>
>>31398994
Never suggested anything outside of stabbing paper.

Most Western hunters: drink beer in a blind and bait their prey. Their 200 yard shot us easy with iron sights. Ethically, yes its a cleaner kill. I strictly bow hunt, mostly because I don't have anything bigger than 5.56 and 20ga. Have my .45 but I like the silence of bow hunting. I have gun hunted in Colorado, Georgia, texas, and Oklahoma. 70lbs compound bow more than good for that.

As for military, you don't get what you need. But youd better perform to the standard.
Cops, I have no authority on.

Still doesn't change an optic makes a good shooter great. And a shit shooter acceptable.
>>
>>31395333
>aren't iron sights enough?
Yes, very much so for me. Even then, I have optics matched with all but one of my rifles. But I still leave them off and use irons most of the time. Even ak irons don't stop me from hitting my 400 yard discs pretty regular.
The advantage of optics for me is that I could pick them out more easily if they are blended in with the background.
>>
>>31399154
Pretty much this. Magnification is useful, but iron sights are plenty for most situations. As for red dots, I've got nothing against them, but I just find irons easier to pick up. I'm massively farsighted in my right eye (and nearsighted in my left, because fuck me), and for whatever reason it makes superimposed reticles much harder to see, even with corrective lenses. Irons don't have the same issue. Besides, optics are expensive and fragile.

Nothing against anyone's personal setup - you do you - but I just prefer a good old-fashioned aperture and post.
>>
>>31399113
>western hunters
>drink beer in a blind
Uh no faggot that'd be eastern hunters. Western hunters are walking up and down mountains or across sagebrush flats all day.
>>
File: intresding.png (36KB, 801x577px) Image search: [Google]
intresding.png
36KB, 801x577px
>I'm the single only person in this thread who knows how to pronounce Simo Häyhä

really makes sinä think
>>
File: image.jpg (215KB, 960x960px)
image.jpg
215KB, 960x960px
>>31395924
>toes
Cute toes?
>>
>>31399601

How to pronunce it desu
>>
>>31395333
because people are getting kill shots from over one and a half miles away
>>
>looking at various longest confirmed kills
>looking at what weapons they used
>fucking Carlos Hathcock
>>
>>31400542
Man was a true American. You have to be to put an optic on a Browning M2 and call it a sniper rifle.
>>
>>31395368
that's Israel. During your 2 years as a warrior for G_d's chosen, you have to carry your service weapon at all times, less the peaceful refugees attack.
>>
>>31400732
I'm almost done with Marine Sniper, and honestly can think of no better example of a sniper in history. Hathcock is a legend.
>>
>>31395333
Glass sights are better. Hayha was typically shooting at short distances at large targets in weather so cold that it would probably frost up the glass, so he used irons.
>>
>>31402664
>refugees
>of any kind
>in israel
Oy vey, what kind of joke is this,goy?
Thread posts: 94
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.