[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

.32 vs .380

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 8

File: image.jpg (89KB, 564x834px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
89KB, 564x834px
Nogunz fag here. Can someone explain to me why .380 isn't disliked for the same reasons as .40 S&W? If .32 and .380 are both seen as a barely adequate compromise that trades power for size wouldn't it make sense to use the round that is more controllable and less snappy? If stopping power is a concern why not just get a subcompact 9mm or a snub nose .38? It seems like the worst of both worlds. .32 used to be seen as adequate for a service pistol. What changed?
>>
.380 is a perfectly acceptable cartridge that meets FBI standards (usually)

.32 has been known to get stopped by cigar cases and whiskey flasks.

it's not a compromise between calibers. it's a compromise on size.

.380 is a good cartridge that can be put in real small guns.

.32 is just small.
>>
>>31388473
Proliferation of 9mm SMGs following WW1 by militaries and post WW2 by LEO. Additionally, its refuge as a ccw caliber was eliminated with the destruction of concealed carry for civilians in Europe.

In more recent years .32 ACP has gone away because it doesn't have enough velocity to get both reliable expansion and penetration. That's why myself and others who carry it usually use FMJs.

.380 is fuddshit desu. Literally 1mm difference between it and a 9mm making the people who buy them completely retarded. It's liked because people follow the advice of advertisers.
>>
File: Product380-Large.jpg (74KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Product380-Large.jpg
74KB, 800x600px
>>31388575
>.380 is fuddshit desu.
Salty .32babby who doesn't use his memes right detected.

.32 is garbage and only still made because of the old guns chambered in it.
>>
>>31388575

The appeal of 380 is that it's basically factory low-power 9mm. So you can make a smaller, lighter gun that won't go kaboom and be assured that there's a standard loading so people won't fuck up and blow their hands off.

If a manufacturer made a small, light 9mm but said "now don't forget, only use special 2/3 power loads in this" how many people do you think would KB on the first day?
>>
Is there any appreciable difference between .380 and 9x18?
>>
>>31388683

1mm x (pi x9mm^2) milliliters of case capacity
>>
>>31388716

actually no that's totally wrong I'm a retard who can't into math

it's 1mm x (pi x 4.5mm^2) cubic millimeters of case capacity. mm^3 is not the same as mL, I suck cocks
>>
>>31388716
รท4
9mm is the diameter
>>
>>31388621
>.32 is garbage and only still made because of the old guns chambered in it.
Is that why the Keltec P32 is so popular?
>>
>stopping power is a meme! shot placement is key! 9mm is just as effective as .45!

>.32 is way too underpowered. It will be stopped by a pack of smokes in your mugger's pocket.

choose 1
>>
>>31388752
1ml = 1x10^-6 m^3
>>
File: 1261289644155.jpg (69KB, 600x742px) Image search: [Google]
1261289644155.jpg
69KB, 600x742px
>>31388792
Theres a difference between "stopping power" and ballistic penetration, nigger.
>>
>>31388792
>.32 is way too underpowered. It will be stopped by a pack of smokes in your mugger's pocket.
t. Archduke Ferdinand
>>
>>31388786
It's not though.
Neither is .32 in general
>>
>>31388792
Shot placement is king, adequate penetration is queen

From what I've gathered, .32 does not adequately penetrate reliably.
>>
>>31388844
Stopping power is a combination of penetration, energy and cavitation.
>>
>>31388859
Jokes on you, he was killed by a .380.

Teddy Roosevelt on the other hand, laughs at a .32.
>>
>>31388974
The only person who came close to killing Teddy Roosevelt was Teddy Roosevelt. He's a poor example, even if you're correct.
>>
>>31389012
Well, the guy may have killed him in the end.

Getting shot is how he got obese. So if he hadn't, he very well might have not died from a blood clot.
>>
File: 1908 vest pocket.jpg (21KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1908 vest pocket.jpg
21KB, 320x240px
Why aren't there any .380s the size of my 1908 vest pocket? What is the smallest .380?
>>
File: 250px-LWS32.jpg (11KB, 250x192px) Image search: [Google]
250px-LWS32.jpg
11KB, 250x192px
>>31389099
The smallest i know is a seecamp (or the NA arms copy of it)

there might be smaller though.
>>
>>31388473

TL;DR
> somehow "stopping power" just doesnt stop enraged humans anymore
> In the old days this was not the case, people were far more afraid of death, any bullet can kill you.
> have to treat humans like they are Deer now

The smaller rounds all have less penetration than a 9mm.

We're not talking shooting through body armor, but just normal everyday stuff that a person might wear.

Lethality of most pistol rounds is about the same, including .22 caliber. If it goes inside and it rips a hole in something that thing is going to bleed.

So whats the difference?
Its that the more power behind the bullet, and the more the target absorbs from it, the more painful or shocking its going to be.

Ive been shot with a BB gun before (unexpectedly, while someone was driving by on the highway) and it feels like a Smack! Like belly flopping off a diving board, but only in that spot.

The more firepower the bullet has the more its going to Feel Like That all over, more than just where you got hit.

The problem that people have come to understand is that when somebody is going for broke, and they don't give a shit if they die (which used to be RARE but is now Common), the pain and shock effect means almost nothing.

So they've moved on from that to picking rounds that have the best capacity while also delivering as much malaise as possible, while also being able to deliver the most jagged nasty cutting hollowpoint flower they can.

Trying to get the best of all 3 worlds - capacity, stopping power, and killing power.

.32 ACP gives you Capacity.
- But Lacks Stopping Power
- And the potential for Hollowpoint Expansion is dismal
- And a set of dogtags dangling above the heart just might stop it.

.32 ACP will kill your ass... but you could literally get shot with it and be like "what was that, it hurts and stings" and then start getting soaked with blood.

Same deal goes with a .380 ACP except the potential for capacity is exactly the same as a 9mm. Why not just use 9mm?
>>
>>31388974
Pretty sure TR was shot by a 32 short colt, which is only like 2/3 as powerful as a 32acp.
>>
>>31389099
Pure class.
>>
>>31388859
What is this t. Thing I've been seeing all over?
>>
>>31389205
I looked it up, it was a 38S&W
>>
.32 is fine
.380 is fine
You just get a lot of whiney bitches screaming "MUH STAHPPIN POWAH", If it was good enough for militaries in WW1 an 2 it will do you fine now
>>
>>31389225
fingolian shorthand for with regards.

t. fingolian
>>
>>31389244
Wat.
>>
>>31388928
Right. Therefore, since all pistols score 0 on cavitation and low in energy due to low muzzle velocity, they must be judged based on penetration. The 100-200 joule difference between 9mm and .45 doesn't make much difference when you don't get permanent wound cavities. However, .32 does have a harder time getting similar penetration when compared to .380 out of the same length of barrel. Not to say you can't kill with a .32 or .22lr, it just leaves more up to chance because you have less penetration to spend when trying to hit vital organs or arteries. In sum, use whatever you like. Obviously, better shot placement means greatly increased odds of a fatal wound. Some pistol rounds just have more opportunities to cause potentially fatal wounds for any given shot placement than other rounds placed in the same location.
>>
>>31389267
It denotes a signature. Easiest way to describe it.

Example:
Guns are evil and /k/ is stupid.

t. Feinstein
>>
File: iJax3a1.png (171KB, 747x624px) Image search: [Google]
iJax3a1.png
171KB, 747x624px
>>31389267
Jesus christ, it's like you don't know any of the me mes.
>>
>>31389195
Pistols all have shit "stopping power," which is mostly caused by permanent wound cavitation. So that facet is moot. Focus on shot placement first, then penetration, then number of rounds on target. The odds of a guy instantly dieing from a pistol wound or even a handful of pistol wounds are pretty low. Most likely die from bleeding out, similar to how most people die from knife wounds. Not to say you can't execute a perfect shot that severs the brain from the spine or ruptures an artery close to the heart; it is just unlikely.
>>
>>31388621
I love collecting and shooting .32 autos. that said, would I carry one? Nope, unless it was the only option.

Also, those seecamps, is probably the worst handgun I have ever shot. It was pickier than all fuck with ammo. And so god damned uncomfortable to shoot.
>>
>>31389195
>they don't give a shit if they die (which used to be RARE but is now Common)

Do you have any evidence towards this claim?
>>
File: ACF2A1B.jpg (165KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
ACF2A1B.jpg
165KB, 640x480px
>>31388621
.32 S&W Long has always been remarked as a very flat shooting cartridge, even out of a 2" barrel. You have to realize cops shot people, a LOT, back in the fleeing felon policy days. But their intention was to basically "tag" a guy in a limb if they couldn't flat-out disable them with a center of mass shot. .32 might not knock you on your ass but your body doesn't care how many fractions of an inch the piece of metal and lead in your leg is- you're gonna see a hospital. (getting shot also came with a much larger danger of dying of sepsis or other complications 50 years ago, people took gunshot wounds much more seriously then) Cops used to have a larger presence in hospitals for this very reason, to round up felons coming in with a dead giveaway .32 round in the back of their hip, or arm, or kidney.

In other words, unless you're trying to blast away a PCP-enraged dindu, .32 is gonna be fine. I'm speaking about the rimmed revolver round though. .32 ACP is pretty lackluster in terms of accuracy.
>>
>>31389421
I wouldn't count out that .32 ACP in terms of accuracy. Out of my Browning 1922, it is not difficult at all to put 9 rounds on a 9"x9" plate at 30ish yards. Also, out of that 4" barrel, that .32 ACP is moving. Compared to most other .32 ACP guns.

.32 Long is a round I do enjoy reloading for. using my chamber insert with my m44 makes for a great 50 to 60 yard varmit round. .32 H&R mags makes for an even better varmit round at that distance.
>>
>>31389568
.32 H&R magnum is very underrated. My personal example of a .32 is an old police model similar to my pic, but with the snub barrel. It surprises me how little recoil there is out of a 2" barrel and how nice it is getting good groupings with tiny, almost non-existent non-snag sights, but the option for .32 H&R mag would be pretty sweet.

.32 rimmed short is a weird beast, I've only shot a few cylinders' worth with the S&W.
>>
>>31389590
.32 Short is a weird feeling round to shoot. Out of that chamber insert on my M44, it made very little noise. And trying to shoot it past 30 yards meant moving my sights up to 500 meters. those I did buy and they were not cheap, about $30 or so for a box of Magtec. But they were interesting to shoot though.

I wish their were more .32 H&R mag revolvers out their. Yeah I know you can still get new Single six's (Granted they are in .327 fed mag, but you can shoot all .32 rimmed in it), but I want a new DA/SA revolver that is not a charter arms.
Though if I could track down a S&W model 32 locally, I would jump on it.
>>
Modern .32 ammunition like :http://www.lehighdefense.com/products/32-acp-50gr-xtreme-cavitator-ammunition?variant=13337135428
Pass the FBI test with flying colors. Why is there so much ignorance in this thread? A .32 pistol with the right ammo is absolutely sufficient for self defense.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.