[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A 1911. Why?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 13

File: 1911_left-1.jpg (92KB, 1000x620px) Image search: [Google]
1911_left-1.jpg
92KB, 1000x620px
hello /k/ommandos. idiot europoor here with another question. so i was browsing imgur earlier and a post said "if god carried a weapon it would be a 1911" or something pretty close to that. my question is why? after all this time why is the 1911 pistol held in such high regard by gun fans? did they nail the design/function/etc with this weapon, or is it just rose coloured glasses? thanks bros.
>>
>>31382174

it's got a really good trigger.
>>
File: casehardened1911.jpg (395KB, 1200x780px) Image search: [Google]
casehardened1911.jpg
395KB, 1200x780px
'Cause it's fuckin' cool. Don't you dare question America.

t. totally not a 1911 that's developed sentience and begun using a laptop.
>>
Two World War victories and seeing action in countless other conflicts gets a gun a reputation.

People here can argue all they want about 9mm vs .45, but if given the chance to shoot a charging Jap with a Colt, we'd all take it.
>>
>>31382183
that's it?
>>
It is a machine that cannot be improved upon.
>>
>>31382214
op here. thanks bro. i was thinking (probably wrongly i thought) that it was more to do with the iconic nature of the gun and not so much how it performs compared to modern day pistols.
>>
its simple

I can hit shit at 75 yards with it over&over&over.

Its good for all home D and Home to street defense. It has an Ohh shit factor with its report.

Its a simple manual of arms.

its easy to clear and clean

Mags are everywhere and ammo is everywhere and can be reloaded using match heads.

Brass is huge and can be reloaded by hand better than most.
>>
File: 1445637726914.jpg (77KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
1445637726914.jpg
77KB, 800x533px
is this real
>>
>>31382246
op here. ahhh that makes good sense. thanks bro.
>>
>>31382174
It's just a classic. It's been in service pretty much the entire 20th century and one of the symbols of the U.S. military. Also it's just a really popular gun with a fantastic trigger and most people really like it's look and feel.
>>
>>31382236
It's both. It's a REALLY good design, and the history just makes it sweeter. .45 ACP was also specifically designed to be able to take down crazy drugged up Flip tribesmen with FMJ, and it works just as well on krauts, japs, gooks, charlie, and hajjis.
>>
It's because they're super neato
>>
>>31382174
People are retardedly nostalgic. There a tons of modern designs that are better in every way, but people will hold onto it half because le funny meme and half because they really wish they could have been in WW2 killing people.

Either way, their heads are damaged.
>>
>>31382774
Nigger it's an iconic gun with a great design, sorry it's not le high speed low drag enough
>>
>>31382774
It is pretty good or great at everything a handgun should be able to do.

More modern guns may out preform a 1911 in some areas but they always sacrifice something for it.
Overall the 1911 is a balanced handgun design with a few outstanding areas. The only major draw back is lower magazine capacity due to a single stack design in .45. I have a 1911 in 9mm as my daily carry. (Dont hate, I have wrist problems.)
>>
File: 1911outdateddesign.jpg (189KB, 989x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1911outdateddesign.jpg
189KB, 989x1024px
>>31382174
It's accurate, powerful, reliable, user-friendly, and single-action. What more could you ask for in a pistol?
>>
>>31382268
made for a movie. Colin Furth is a spy.
>>
File: 1473663097236.jpg (56KB, 385x417px) Image search: [Google]
1473663097236.jpg
56KB, 385x417px
>>31382174
It is literally perfect in every possible way. Rugged, reliable, accurate, ergonomic, safe. Plus it looks fucking awesome and has been in military service for over 100 years.

Next motherfucker to question an American icon is getting liberated.
>>
because hurr mericuh
>>
>>31382876
>It is pretty good or great at everything a handgun should be able to do.
Said no no one ever. The only thing it has going for it is a nice trigger. That's it.

>le points good meme
>le 45 stronk meme
>le tank killer meme
>le le meme

Seriously, low capacity, bulky single stack, SAO, cmon now.

>>31382809
I'm not saying it's a piece of shit, I'm saying it's old, outdated, and easily replaced from a practical standpoint.
>>
>>31382174
It's a good pistol.

Of course bigger magazine and more modern cartridge(10mm 1911 are great) would be great for it, but overall it's very competent pistol that served US military for 80 years or so without any problems.

Now if you're looking for pistols that are REALLY outdated check things like Luger 08 or Mannlicher M1901 - they came in formative years of automatic pistols and simply use failed solutions for making one. 1911 is simply old and there are lighter alternatives that offer basically all its qualities but as it is it's a reliable, accurate and relatively simple gun even by modern standards.
>>
>>31382174
Gramps used it in WWII, and Grandpa was a war hero, don't you know? Grandpa stormed the beaches on D-Day and fought the evil Nazis. Well, he didn't ACTUALLY storm Normandy. He just knows a guy who did while he did paperwork back stateside.

But he's still a goddamn hero, and the 1911 is a hero's gun. The .45 ACP is a hero's round. It's a mediocre, slow pistol round that will blow your goddamn head off. I know, I saw it in a movie once. The gun only holds 7 rounds in its magazine, but if you need more than 7 rounds to hit something, you need to go learn to shoot. Go spend some actual time at the range, take your time to line the sights up just right, squeeze the trigger so elegantly. Because that is perfect training for making a split-second decision and eliminating the threat mere milliseconds before he eliminates you.

The 1911 is the best pistol out there. It's so good the military replaced the all-American beast with an Italian 9mm peashooter. Buy it. Love it. Shoot it. Live out your fantasies of being a badass Hollywood-glorified American Marine shooting Japs and being more of a man than you are with it. And if you don't, you're a fucking communist.
>>
>>31382174
Here it is from a 1911 owner. I've held and fired many guns.

the 1911 just sorta "feels right" when its the steel frame variant. I do not care for its native round. Go 10mm and enjoy life with it.

if you want an evolved 1911 the next closest thing is a detonics pistol.

I guess man, if you really need to know, visit a firing range that rents to europoors. They exist even in europe. If not in your country, hop on that wonderful train system and go for a daytrip to shoot some funs, and break your cherry.
>>
>>31382219
No you don't understand

It has a REALLY good trigger
>>
1911 is well like because:
>historical nostalgia
>film nostalgia
>one of the only handguns that fits all sizes of hands
>large caliber, full steel gun, soft recoil
>countless customization and aftermarket

Hated because:
>caliber too large
>8rnds is too low a capacity for self defense and combat
>2lbs is too heavy for most people to lift up to eye level
>engineering designs that worked well 100 years ago dont work today
>>
>>31382174
it dated, its old, but it works, unitl you have one in your hand you can never know it. if feels heavy if feels good, whether its an RIA or a colt. I ahve a USP 45 and an RIA 1911, literally the most two polar opposite handguns that fire the same round. the USP is a 1990's handgun built to perform and not fail. the 1911 is similar but built to design of the 1910's. I love hte USP but the 1911 has something o it one can not describe, it tells you I am old, I am worn, but I will not quit on you, I will not stop. its the handgun of the the last heroes, of the men that stopped true evil time and time again
>>
>>31387481
Forgot to mention how amazing the trigger is. And if you get a decent made one aka colt or above, the slide to frame fit is so goddamn smioth the closest word to describing it is "buttery"
>>
>>31382174
It's a very popular gun. It's got a reputation from being in so many wars and the design is great. People like the feel of a good powerful steel gun in their hands, too. Plus it has a pretty large aftermarket.
>>
File: 1461854623455.png (488KB, 677x5990px) Image search: [Google]
1461854623455.png
488KB, 677x5990px
>>31382174
Pretty good ergonomics, especially for a 100 year old design. Solid in the hand, very reliable, good trigger, Muh .45 stoppin powah, which while overblown was kind of a thing when everybody was using jacketed ammo. And is still viable when hurling a 200 grain Gold Dot +P "ash tray" at someone. Capacity is less than most modern double stack pistols, but for most, this isn't really a concern for pic related reasons. Truth be told, it's really no better or worse than any other modern recoil operated handgun of similar size for most applications, be it target shooting, pistol related sports of self defense.
>>
Decent concealed carry gun.
Accurate, dependable, easy to handload for.
With one gun you can have a self defense pistol, a match pistol(with a little work) and a woods gun.
American legend.
>>
>>31383532
There are double stack 10mm 1911s available now with a 16+1 capacity. I need one.
>>
>>31382174
If you don't implicitly "get" why the 1911 is the pinnacle of interpersonal conflict resolution technology and everything prior is obsolete and everything since is superfluous, no amount of explanation will help you "get it".

Also that makes you a commie in my book.
>>
>>31382174
"if it ain't broke don't fix it"
It feels really nice due to how slim it is and It has pretty much zero recoil for what it's shooting. also It has been proven over 100 years of combat and is still used today.
>>
>>31382219
If you shot at all, you'd understand how damn important a good trigger is.
>>
File: Lord and savior.jpg (132KB, 470x311px) Image search: [Google]
Lord and savior.jpg
132KB, 470x311px
because it was crafted by the lord himself
>>
>>31389100
>>
>>31388127
thick pistols like the glock 17 are personally uncomfortable in my hand, they don't really fit into the crotch of my hand. keep the 1911 the way it was originally designed: .45 ACP and single stack
>>
>>31382882
>pre A1
Unf
>>
File: dwhat.gif (3MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
dwhat.gif
3MB, 320x240px
>>31382246
>reloaded using matcheads

WHAT?!?!
>>
>>31382882
That pic is just infuriating.
>>
>>31389100
>>31389112
How religious was John Browning?
Was he a big supporter of the Church or did he just never leave it?
>>
File: blacklabelopnshot.jpg (83KB, 590x428px) Image search: [Google]
blacklabelopnshot.jpg
83KB, 590x428px
>>31389611
I'm getting baptized into Mormonism in a few weeks, and every single Mormon that I've met concealed carries a 1911 if they CC. Myself included albeit the Browning variant chambered in .380 ACP because it only weighs 7 ounces and doesn't print bur has good stopping power. Mind you this is in Chicago, not even a desert state.

It's like a tribe, their belief system is more than the church itself in some respects, it's about rugged individualism and survivalism coupled with a religious groupthink. Think of it as a herd of very well armed, competent bison with the absolute conviction and knowledge that they're on the right side. Powerful allies. Hence me joining. Also, had to quit drinking and drugs to hit 2 plate bench and because I'm getting a job as an EMT, so what the hey, amirite?
>>
>>31382219

that's enough.
>>
>>31383464

you can get double stack 9mm 2011s.
>>
File: ColtGM_C88578c1.jpg (268KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
ColtGM_C88578c1.jpg
268KB, 600x400px
>>31382174
lots of history and pride. ww1, prohabtion, ww2 korea, 'nam, dozens of LEO and government agencies using it for years. It has a special place in america heart for that

aside from that, it is superbly comfortable, a naturally shootable and aesthetic design. even my friends who consider them fudd sidearms admit it feels nice. so a healthy mix of history and ability that helps back up that history
>>
>>31382268
yes, tokarovs are real
that underslug shotgun thing is a prop for a movie, same with the FN five sevens in battle star galactica
>>
>>31382174
Real talk: .45 is a round that has a pretty balance of stopping power and ballistics, plus 1911's have a smoother recoil in line with the hand and arm as opposed to snapping at the barrel. It's relatively simple and is 100+ yr old design that still works well.

Are there cons? Sure. Few weapons objectively come close to perfect.
>>
File: glock 17.jpg (323KB, 1000x664px) Image search: [Google]
glock 17.jpg
323KB, 1000x664px
>>31382774
>glocks came out in the 1980s
>have dont fuck all to the design besides adjusting the size
>arguably better polymer striker fired pistolsbuilding off of its market
>its still world renown and widley used, will be 50 years from now
if it isnt broken dont fix it, people like what they like
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.