[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would I go about making a flintlock gun at home? I know I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: image.gif (59KB, 705x359px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
59KB, 705x359px
How would I go about making a flintlock gun at home? I know I can buy a kit but that's no fun. I'm mostly concerned about making the whole firing mechanism at home, the barrel and stock aren't much of an issue.

Black powder is cool and I can get it and balls at a local store.
>>
>>31380804
Make it a percussion cap one. it will be easier and if you cant buy snapcaps where you live you can make them with matches and aluminium cans.
>>
Make sure you test fire it with your off hand. Wouldn't want a life time of masterbating with your non dominant hand would ya?
>>
>>31380822

But wouldn't a percussion cap make it classifiable as a firearm?
>>
>>31380872
Maybe? I don't know, I dont really care about the laws. Police in Brazil have a little more to worry about then middle class white boys making 19th styled one shot rifles. You could check the laws on where you live tough.
>>
>>31380918

Well I know for a fact that flintlocks are legal without a liscence here and legal to build. I have a liscence but I'd be afraid that building a percussion rifle would be illegal.
>>
It's not strictly a step-by-step instructional video, but this should give you a good idea of how flintlocks are made from scratch:

"Colonial Gunsmith"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAzJOULyx5c

You can use modern tools to speed up the process, but it still will take quite a bit of time and effort.
>>
>>31380957

Many thanks anon. I enjoy doing long projects like this.
>>
>>31380804
AHve you tried youtube?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buYb5gkYvp0
>>
File: flintlock_revolver.jpg (924KB, 2424x3146px) Image search: [Google]
flintlock_revolver.jpg
924KB, 2424x3146px
>>31380985
Another source to look at is "The gun and its development" by WW Greener:

https://archive.org/details/gunitsdevelopmen00greerich

This is an older book, but he has some illustrations and descriptions of some really interesting flintlock designs, including repeaters, breech-loaders and even ones with internal hammers.

Example- a three barreled flintlock revolver.
>>
File: 1469694476517.jpg (2MB, 1337x3835px) Image search: [Google]
1469694476517.jpg
2MB, 1337x3835px
Let us know how it goes
>>
File: electric musket.jpg (31KB, 1024x241px) Image search: [Google]
electric musket.jpg
31KB, 1024x241px
>>31380804
This mechanism looks pretty practical and easy to make. Use your imagination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omS6XtEDQqQ
>>
>>31380804
>How would I go about making a flintlock gun at home?

If you aren't capable of doing it without /k/ holding your hand then it's probably best that you just don't attempt it.
>>
>>31380872
No. At least no in America.

In order to fall under our gun laws, it has to be a cartridge-firing gun. A black powder muzzle-loader is basically just a toy, regardless of what mechanism ignites the powder.
>>
See "Foxfire 5". I don't know how much detail it get into, however, it has a large section on making flintlocks.
>>
>>31380957
Came Here to post this very video
>>
File: dogee.jpg (199KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
dogee.jpg
199KB, 1000x1000px
Depends, you wanna do it the modern way? or how they did it.

The barrel is easy if you want to do it the modern way. though i suggest you buy a lock instead of making it. I say this because if you had experence with tempering steel for leafsprings and the like, you wouldn't be asking how to make one.

Now, if you don't have any experence with working with power tools, i recomend buying a kit, all you have to do is deburr and finish the parts and stock.
If you want to make one from scratch , you'll need a drill press, some good bits and a bucket of water or mineral oil.
>>
>>31380804
an actual flintlock mechanism is relatively complex
you could start with a matchlock which is very simple
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.