[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bad news gents. My Remington 700 in .243 Win has herpes of the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: serveimage.jpg (31KB, 600x312px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
31KB, 600x312px
Bad news gents.

My Remington 700 in .243 Win has herpes of the barrel.

Chunk of metal welded to the rifling, been scrubbing on it for a while now, hasn't came out. Should I try some special abrasive compound? Try to shoot it until it's worn down? Almost certainly because when I got the rifle when I was 16 I didn't clean it before shooting.

I guess I have the tools to re-barrel it, but if I did it would be in .223 Rem. Would I need to buy a new bolt for .223?? How much would that run me?

Furthermore, it's the ADL model (no detachable mag), short action, the shitty synthetic stock is warped and touching the barrel.
>>
File: shame.gif (587KB, 266x200px) Image search: [Google]
shame.gif
587KB, 266x200px
>>31366318
>Remshit
>.243 remshit
you did it to yourself.
>>
>>31366369
I was 16 and I wasn't thinking straight, I just wanted the versatility of light & fast and heavy bullet weights.

Wasn't thinking about $0.25/round .223
>>
>>31366318
>Chunk of metal welded to the rifling,
nigger how do you do this accidentally
>>
>>31366392
maybe you can get in on that recall and have them replace/fix it for you
then you can sell it and buy something else
>>
>>31366318
>I guess I have the tools to re-barrel it, but if I did it would be in .223 Rem. Would I need to buy a new bolt for .223??
Here let me just see if I can shoot a .223 out of my FAL
>>
>>31366420
by not cleaning the bore before shooting it.

That's my best guess. It's a small little piece of metal from the machining process that didn't get cleaned out, then a bullet passed across it and now it's welded in place... In the bore..

Like herpes for guns.

>>31366431
I would like a Savage action, looks easier to work on. Any idea about the cost of replacing Savage action bolts for caliber changes?
>>
>remington
>>
>>31366464
sometimes bolt faces work with different cartridges you dildo
>>
File: image.jpg (65KB, 460x343px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65KB, 460x343px
>>31366369
>>31366503

Is Remington 700 really that bad? Worse than savage axis bad ?
>>
>>31366635
My Remington 700 ADL from 2006 says yes.
>>
The fuck happened to Remington. Their long arms used to be something graceful and solid in your hand and now they curn out shit like that.
>>
>>31366468
you cant chip it out with a jag? have you tried immediately after shooting? the heat loosens things up.
>>
>>31366936
They got bought by freedom group. Freedom group went and changed stuff and probably cut corners like quality control to maximize profits.
>>
>>31367053
Hmmm....

I never knew what jags were for until now, is that what jags are for?

I scrubbed on it quite a bit, some of it came loose but not all of it.
>>
>>31367169
not really, they're for pushing patches, supposed to work better than loops but i never use them. the brass won't hurt your barrel, it'll scrape the jag but hopefully the brass is stronger than the bond between the burr and the barrel.
>>
>>31367086
Yeah I can't believe the fit and finish that freedom group lets out of Remington and Marlin's plants now. Held a brand new 336 and 7600 couple of days apart, both had a burred finishes that looked like epoxy coated parkerization. Then in turn inspected an old 742 Woodsmaster with satin bluing. It was a huge contrast.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.