[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Found this rust spot on the bottom of the barrel on my mosin

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Found this rust spot on the bottom of the barrel on my mosin is it safe to shoot?
>>
>>31364121
maybe
>>
>>31364135
How can I see if it's safe
>>
>>31364121
Clean it up and see how deep it actually is. Odds are it's fine, what with how thick the barrel walls are.

I have a couple of similar spots on mine, although they aren't as big as that one.
>>
>>31364158
Shoot it.
>>
>>31364121
Absolutely not.
Throw it away and buy a new one.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
I've touched it up a bit
>>
>>31364208
Do not forget it is there. It will need attention with oil every time you service the rifle.
>>
>>31364208
Could be worse. It's ok to shoot.
>>
>>31364208
Drill a small hole there to alleviate pressure on the barrel.
>>
>>31364121
that is some significant but harmless pitting on the surface of the barrel.
cosmetic concern only.
>>
>>31364121
well it's not my hand exploding
>>
>>31364253
kek
>>
>>31364208
could grind it down and weld over if you dont want to replace the barrel.
>>
>>31364121
Comrade rifle is made in motherland. It will take more rust than that to kill the hand of Stalin.
>>
>>31364208

>mfw you probably just sanded down blood pitting, because that's what that looks like
>>
>>31364208
That's literal cancer, no oil or treatment will stop it. It'll only slow down. The only options is to remove the rust and see how deep it goes, if it compromises the structure of the barrel then you need to replace it.

The other option is to keep it as is and get a new nugget to shoot, probably cheaper to do this.
>>
>>31364313
that's not rust Dimitri, that is corrosion friend.
>>
>>31364208
It's fucking eaten by corrosion
>>
>>31364377
Thank you Vladimir. We now drink power of liquid potato and kill fascist scum
>>
File: garbage rod w.png (89KB, 552x720px) Image search: [Google]
garbage rod w.png
89KB, 552x720px
Put that garbage rod where it belongs.
>>
>>31364549
Get out of here TFB TV you faggot
>>
>>31364121
>>31364208

Should be good. Make sure to stick the business end of the barrel in your mouth before you pull the trigger.
>>
Just leave that as wall hanger and buy another nugget
>>
>>31364121
I wouldn't worry about it...
>>
>>31364349
That's what I thought too.

>>31364208
Safe to shoot, but some of that pitting is getting dangerously deep. Remove the rest of the rust, oil down the gun with some G96 Gun oil and an old cloth, then place it in a non-humid area. Some where that it is able to breathe so rust is less likely to form. Meaning don't keep it in any soft gun cases, and if you have a gun cabinet and this is happening still, then you seriously need to sort out what is touching against the metal and causing rapid corrosion like that.

Also OP stop scraping your fucking gun to shit with a quarter. Get some steel wool or an old nickle and slowly work down that rust. Until it's 90% cleaned up it's unknown if the gun truly is fire-able or not.
>>
>>31364208
That is ugly as fuck. I had an old China man sks with some pitting that wasn't nearly that bad. I traded that shit off. Makes me worry about my Mosin now...... I'm going to undress her tonight. Although, I try not to shoot corrosive ammunition out of mine.
>>
>>31364121
Pic of the bore comrade
>>
>>31364875
Is it safe to keep my guns in a hard case in my closet?

Not OP by the way
>>31364163
>>
>>31364208
>touched it up
>5 strokes with sandpaper
>Trashed the finish
Dumb nigger, go ahead and put the poor thing through a bandsaw at the trunnion and be done with it.
>>
>>31365829
>trunnion

Mosins don't have trunnions.
>>
>>31364307
YES YES WARP THE BARREL!

You sure know nothing about how heat affects metals do you?
>>
>>31364121
The degredation looks pretty shallow but it also looks like the barrel is bending.

The shear scale of the rust also implies the anti-corrosive measures have failed and that the barrel is going to rust faster now. All those pits are adding surface area and whatever finish the steel had is gone now.

Scour the rust out with steel wool and apply oil to seal out the air. Replace the barrel ASAP. The barrel should still be safe for now but I doubt it will stay that way for long.
>>
It will be a good wall hanger Op

It can probably be used for a long time still but as has been stated its eating away and getting deeper.

Consider a new one or use it until it one day sends you to the hospital or your kids
>>
>>31364159
>Odds are it's fine, what with how thick the barrel walls are.
Mosins have rather thin barrel walls anon.
>>
>>31365829
>trunnion
noguns detected
>>
>>31364208
You can alwayd Obrez it if it gets worse
>>
>>31364121
Rest it on a friends head and try.
>>
>>31364121
Strip that crap off with steel wool , then vinegar soak on that section. Followed by Phosporic acid aka naval jelly.
Then look for cracks and pitting more than 3mm deep.
If there are cracks, you are fucked if you continue to use that rifle. Remote fire it from behind a steel plate only in case it disintegrates.
If there is no cracks, or less than 3mm pitting, then you can plate it back up with Nickel to prevent further corrosion. Rebluing it might pass if you can check it a year or two later.
>>
>>31365829
a mosin's barrel is directly threaded into the receiver. there is no trunnion. a trunnion is a pin or pivot where something can be mounted into something else, usually a block or cradle. in most firearms that lack a threaded receiver, a trunnion block is used to mate a press/pinned/threaded barrel into a receiver which is then fixed in position via pinning or welding or both. an AK for example has a barrel pressed into a trunnion block, pinned in place, and the trunnion+barrel assembly is then riveted or pinned to the AK's sheet metal receiver.
>>
>>31364208
use COPPER wool next time, and it wont scratch up the finish
>>
>>31364121
Yeah. Peak hoop stress from expanding gases occurs at inside of the barrel.
>>
>>31372173
Lol.

Vinegar soak or naval jelly is retarded. I've used that and just washing away the acid with water caused flash rust on the surface.

If you want to remove rust you use Flitz. It will rub red rust off of places you didn't even realize had rust yet. It is a light polishing compound though so don't use it on something like a barrel unless you enjoy shooting patterns.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.