[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the smallest projectile it takes to damage a submarine?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: I-70 damage.jpg (248KB, 1800x1245px) Image search: [Google]
I-70 damage.jpg
248KB, 1800x1245px
What's the smallest projectile it takes to damage a submarine? (WW2 era and/or Modern submarines).
I'm aware a simple crack will cause the hull to be crushed by deep sea pressure, so lets assume this >500m/yards deep.

Also general submarine thread I guess.
>>
>>31351812

500m deep, are you joking? Only specially designed deep sea submersibles can go that deep without being crushed by the pressure.

I'll assume the boat is on the surface, it all depends on whether the projectile is fired inside or outside of the boat

inside? A single shot from 9x19mm in the right place will do.

Outside? I'd say a 20mm autocannon would ruin what's left of the submarine crew members' lives...
>>
>>31351891
You're aware I meant meters right?

And assume the crew is all inside and you're shooting/throwing/furiously shitting from outside
>>
>>31351948
hence '100m/yards' because a yard is basically a meter
>>
>>31351891
nigga you dumb. Seawolf class can go to almost 800m
>>
>>31351974
yes I am very much aware, a Los Angeles -class submarine's claimed maximum depth is 200 meters, Ohio -class' tested maximum is 240 meters, ho do you figure either one could survive in 500 meters?
>>
>>31352061
Modern nuclear attack submarines like the American Seawolf class are estimated to have a test depth of 490 m (1,600 ft),[1] which would imply (see above) a collapse depth of 730 m (2,400 ft).

You need to do a bit more research, 200m is what a WW2 U-boat could do.
>>
>>31352018
Seawolf has been/will be succeeded by Virginia -class, tested at 240 meters, Soviet Akulas seem to have been tested at 600 meters, but since the timeframe in OP is from WWII to modern, submarines that can survive in 500 meters are a minority.
>>
>>31352108
Test depth is not the same as crush depth. Maximum depth for Ohio class and the like are classified. 500m is likely a reasonable depth.
>>
>>31352083
the topic is "what caliber could wreck a WWII and/or modern submarine at depth of 500m", majority of the submarines in that timeframe would be crushed long before reaching that depth.
>>
OP Here

Consider me schooled in crush depths.

What are we shooting at this submerged (above crush depth) submarine from above the surface (optimum weather conditions) and possibly below to break this submarine open.
>>
>>31351948
>And assume the crew is all inside and you're shooting/throwing/furiously shitting from outside

the timeframe includes a shit-ton of submarines that can't survive at claimed depth, so I am disregarding the depth you have provided (besides pretty much the only 'projectiles' that could threaten a submerged submarine are torpedoes, and even one hit by just about any torpedo is enough to kill a sub), it's on the surface & being fired at by some surface vessel, a 20mm anti-air cannon would definitely ruin the submariners' day.
>>
>>31352200
depth charges and torpedos nigggga.
>>
>>31352223
>>31352233
ty
>>
>>31352200
submerged targets are next to impossible to hit with projectile weapons, because the resistance from the water is going to slow down the projectiles to the point that anything deeper than perisciope depth would probably be out of reach, depth charges are a thing for a reason.
>>
>WW2 era
>500m deep

lol
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.