[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cobray SWD m11 9mm. Quality

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: cobray.jpg (58KB, 700x363px) Image search: [Google]
cobray.jpg
58KB, 700x363px
OOOOKKKAAAYYY /k/ommandos so I've always wanted a Miami vice 80's style fun gun. I found a Cobray SWD m11 in 9mm yesterday and was wondering about quality. I know some MAC variants are terrible but I'm hearing pretty good things about the SWD's. This is a semi auto unfortunately. Any information on the Cobray M11 9mm?
>>
>>31350678
Get a full fun, can go for 2.5k or 3k if you get lucky, 5k otherwise

Press for people hold for helicopters
>>
>>31350705
I would absolutely love a full auto! I just don't have that kind of money:(
>>
>>31350705
No way you can get an MG for that price, unless you know someone who is willing to sell at a loss. In today's inflated Internet market, think more like $7000+ for an automatic registered SWD MAC. To answer the OP, any of the old MAC variants are fine in semi. The SWD M11/Nine should serve you well. They're built very simply and very tough, and SWDs tend to hold their value. If you have any problems it's almost always the mag. After the registered machine gun versions, the next most desirable MACs are the open bolt versions, since they work exactly like their machine gun counterparts, except in semi automatic only.
>>
>>31350834
Do you own a cobray SWD? any idea on types of ammo such as ball/hollowpoint? steal case/brass case?
>>
>>31350705
found the time traveler that just got here from 2001
>>
>>31350884
I did 3 years ago; sold it to fund either an mp5 or UZI, I can't remember which. SMGs are known to be picky with hollow points, as most of the legacy guns were meant to use NATO 124gr FMJ, which would be your best bet, but cheapo 115gr works fine too. Steel should work okay, but expect to have a ftf every once in a while. Steel cased ammo is harder than brass, so it can cause premature wear on you extractor.
>>
>>31350954
perfect! I just purchased it. The m11 should be at my local shop next week:) time to find some metal mags
>>
>>31350678
Quality on the Cobray/SWD guns are kind of mediocre, they work, but they get their worst rep from the Zytel (polymer) material the magazines are made of.

Get the magazines replaced and the gun should run a lot better.
>>
>>31351054
Congrats! Like the above poster said, the zytel mags will sorta get you by, but they are crap and should be replaced ASAP.
>>
>>31351322
yeah it comes with 4 of them and I will be buy 5 or 6 metal mags for it for sure!

>>31351556
Thank you! I cant wait for this thing
>>
>>31350705
> for under 3k

funny guy
you are lucky if you find one for under 5k

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/583838247
>>
>>31350705
The only subguns you can hope to find for under 5k is a Reising or Sten
>>
>>31350678
I bought an SWD \ Cobray M11\9 for my first machinegun for $3000 in 2006. The quality of this gun is in fact pretty poor, but keep in mind that they were shitting these things out for just a few hundred bucks a pop back then, and were probably considered to be semi-disposable.

Since then, I have had to re-weld the feed ramps three times in the gun. I have blasted and duracoated mine to get rid of the existing rust, and fend off new corrosion. I have had several mags break, several sears, and one selector level. Your mileage may vary.

>>31350884
I will say just stick with round-profile FMJ. I also have a suppressor for mine, and it doesn't even like the truncated-style heavy bullets. Hollowpoint reloads of all types have been troublesome (Hornaday XTP, Speer Gold Dot, Winchester HPs, Speer Tournament Master, Montana Gold...).

>>31351054
I have found that the new Shockwave mags to be "alright". I also have a bunch of some converted PAM2 magazines that gun well enough, but I forgot the name of the outfit that converts them. Zytles are absolute junk.

I'm not a robot
>>
>>31352566
>I have blasted and duracoated mine to get rid of the existing rust, and fend off new corrosion
post pix

>several sears, and one selector level
Given that they're parts you're allowed to replace, have you considered getting a machine-shop to custom make variants of these parts out of better steel, maybe vanadium, or just heat treating them for hardness?
>>
File: Cobray_M11-9_1.jpg (447KB, 1020x676px) Image search: [Google]
Cobray_M11-9_1.jpg
447KB, 1020x676px
>>31353096
If I wanted to do that, I would just make the new parts myself, since I work in a shop. However, the geometry of the sear and selector lever are not conducive to easy machining, which is why they are cast/MIMd (just like mountains of other modern gun parts in all your favorite weapons). However, not all cast parts are created equal, as the actual alloys used, hardening practices (if present), and finish can affect the durability of the end part. For example, Lage Mfg produces a "hard sear" which is supposed to last much longer. Next time mine shits one out, I will likely buy it.

I'm not a robot
>>
>>31353096
Oh yeah, one other important point!!! Shooting the gun on semi-automatic mode puts mountains more stress on these two parts, which is largely responsible for breaking them. I'll exclude further technical details, but keeping it on fully-automatic will pretty much make the selector lever last forever now, and the sear will have several times longer life I anticipate.

I'm not a robot
>>
>>31353157
looks neat AF

always loved the MAC
still not a fan of the 3rd party grip
>>
File: 1129151232-1.jpg (541KB, 2065x1259px) Image search: [Google]
1129151232-1.jpg
541KB, 2065x1259px
>>31350678
Ive owned one for a long while now, and it's eaten whatever I've thrown at it, polymer mags and all. Its not useful, it's not accurate, it's a bitch to aim, it's heavy, but even only semi auto it's still fucking fun
>>
>>31353185
>>31353157
>>31352566
>I'm not a robot
Are you leaving a 'signature' ? You know this isn't like a typical forum, right?
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.