[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pilots in a squadron

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: 1461992389138.jpg (213KB, 1056x1356px) Image search: [Google]
1461992389138.jpg
213KB, 1056x1356px
How many pilots are in a USAF fighter squadron?
Do they have more pilots than planes? More planes than pilots? What about USN VFAs? What about B-52 squadrons or heli squadrons?
>>
Take this bump
>>
>>31347089
>Depends on the squadron
>More pilots
>Probably very similar for navy
>Probably the same story for every unit that flys
>Airlines have more pilots than aircraft so the military probably does too.
>>
File: IMG_20160523_125035.jpg (12KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160523_125035.jpg
12KB, 320x240px
Navy VFA-fag here. We have 10 jets and 16 pilots.
>>
>>31347526
Thanks for your reply.

Do you guys have aircraft assigned to your pilots? Or do they take what's available that day? Because I've seen cases where the name of the pilot painted on the aircraft is different from the guy flying it
>>
>>31347089
>that image
>firing a nuclear missile at low altitude against an air target
>focus on the instrument panel to avoid flash blindness

Is this supposed to make you feel slightly better before you BBQ yourself with a nuke?
>>
>>31347553
I was in a P-3 squadron in the Navy. The names of our planes were the CO, XO and like sailor of the year.
>>
File: images.jpg (11KB, 288x175px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
11KB, 288x175px
>>31347553
Our jets are assigned to the pilots by maintenance control based on how the jet is configured and if it actually in a condition to fly. All the pilots have their names on the jets it's just a pain in the ass to try and put them in "their" jet due to maintenance and the fact that most jets have two names on them except for CAG, CO, and XO
>>
>>31347716
I think you over estimate the power of nukes. They are actually quite weak when used in the air. A plane can easily launch a nuke and not get caught in the blast radius. It's what happened at Hiroshima.
>>
>>31348688
do all the pilots get close or attached to the jets? like, do they say that they prefer one jet over another because it just "feels" better/faster/more maneuverable, even though they are the same type of jet and have no functional or technical difference?
>>
>>31349321
"maintainer" here, there were very distinct differences in the condition of the aircraft, all are within tolerances of course but I'd assume that that shit like how bent the compressor blades are might matter in terms of performance.
>>
>>31349348

Thanks for the info
>>
Idk about Air Force, but VF-22 (f18 squadron) has 40 officers. 17 are pilots, 17 NFOs, and 6 others (can't remember what they do. Supply, Intel, etc).

And they have 12 f18s.
>>
Why is there an excess of pilots? Is it some quirk in Navy personnel or is it some important reason I'm not seeing? Is it to allow squadrons to do "surge" operations or something?
>>
>>31349796
i'm guessing people will be sleeping, sick, on training, etc

so basically they have less planes than people, and they try not to use all of their planes at once so they have a margin of safety in case someone is unable to fly

you know, if they had 75 planes and 75 pilots, if 25 of them got sick they'd only be able to use 50 planes, that sorta thing.
>>
>>31349711
Wow, that seems like a lot of support just for 12 planes. I didn't know they needed this much support. The more you know I guess
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.