[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I live in PA, in a city, and lately, with some break-ins in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: 1465537256127.jpg (861KB, 1700x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1465537256127.jpg
861KB, 1700x1000px
So I live in PA, in a city, and lately, with some break-ins in my neighborhood, I've been thinking about getting a handgun for my house
I'm a total noob when it comes to this, so what do you guys recommend and WHY?
I am NOT looking for a shotgun
>>
>>31345346
Real men buy revolvers. Glocks will make you shoot your own fingers and it's hard to aim an AR in the dark.
>>
File: classic pistols.jpg (2MB, 4272x2848px) Image search: [Google]
classic pistols.jpg
2MB, 4272x2848px
>>31345346
Im not familar with PA laws so I recommend you look into those first and foremost. Look at what you can get and what you can do with it, no sense in getting excited over something you might not get
After that go to any gun store and ask to handle a few. Try some variety. A revolver, a striker fired, a DA/SA, ect and a few different kinds of each. Get a feel for them and ask if there is a place you cant rent them to shoot
after you have a list of what you like (or more importantly what you dont), then do some more shopping and see what your options are in you area. Id say around 5-600 is a decent middle ground price range for a good handgun, maybe a few hundred put aside for accessories, a safe, mags, ect

really it just comes down to you doing the legwork and finding what you like. If youre unsure of something specific, then come back and ask
>>
>>31345346
Why are you NOT looking for a shotgun?
>>
>>31345403
>and it's hard to aim an AR in the dark.
What a crock of shit this especially is, there's nothing easier or better for home defense
>Glocks will make you shoot your own fingers
No
>Real men buy revolvers.
Apparently "real men" use antiques that aren't as effective as modern tools.
>>
>>31345403
Not looking for a glock or an AR... but ok

>>31345404
Thanks!
>>31345415
I live in an apt, so having that big of a gun safe would be hard to get approval from my super for, and I don't trust my neighborhood enough to leave it out, even hidden
>>
>>31345441
pistols arent terrible, anyone will tell you its obviously better to have a rifle in a self defense situation but plenty of us have a 9mm as a bedside gun. What are you looking to do with it? Carry or just home protection
>>
Look up gunstores near you and find the one that has the best reviews/looks the nicest, preferably one that has a range where you can test out the guns. Go in and look at 9mm handguns, NOT .380 or .40 or .45 I do not care what the guy at the counter says. There is a huge variety like >>31345404 mentioned, however since you are new I will recommend some. A glock 19/17 (compact and full size), p320 compact and fullsize, m&p compact and full size and fnx compact and fullsize. All of these guns are simple and reliable, most people including myself prefer the glock however they all do the same thing. Pick whichever feels the best in your hand/you find most comfortable to shoot. I put the compact size in there incase you have small hands like me or want to conceal carry it. Also these guns do not have a traditional safety which is good, you are new and do not want to be fumbling with that when your life is in danger. Once you have your handgun buy at least 200 bullets (500 is preferable) of the cheapest ammo they have and a box (which should be enough to fill one mag) of defensive (hollow point) ammo. A weapon light is great to have as well but I'm not sure how much money youre willing to spend, if not alot tlr-1, if alot surefire xc-1 or x300 depending on size of gun you get. Also do not forget to get cleaning supplies, and ear/eye protection. They should have this at the store.
Now go to whatever range and practice shooting with the cheap ammo, bonus points for going to a class or having an instructor teach you. Then go home and load the gun up with the defensive ammo and keep it within reach of your bed loaded and ready to go.
>>
>>31345480
Solely home protection. A tiny bit of research hints that CC licences are annoying to come by in Kiladelphia
>>31345631
Thanks for the advice
>>
>>31345631
tl;dr go to gunstore and buy glock 19, ear protection, eye protection, cleaning supplies, alot of cheapest ammo and a little of really nice anti person ammo and a weaponlight if you have the money. Then practice.
>>
>>31345651
if thats the case then Id look primarily on duty sized pistols or magnum revolvers. If youre not worrying about carrying, then you dont have to sacrifice size for concealing it or comfort. You still could get a .38 snubnose or some kind of subcompact if you want to, but youre giving yourself a disadvantage when its not needed
>>
>>31345346
Welcome to /k/...

Fuck all these peoples' recommendations, OP. You're going to end up injuring innocent people shooting through fucking apt walls with .380, 9mm, .40sw and 45acp, or even .223, really... I mean, hollow point would help prevent then from breaching walls, but that's risky in my opinion.

Just get a god damned cheap/efficient gun in your budget, probably a Judge/Governor revolver that can shoot .410 shotshells, flachet rounds for defense, skeet for practice. Find a buddy who owns guns and knows how to shoot. Get him to take you to a range and give you the +1 and spend sun up to sun down shooting until you know wtf you're doing. Listen to him like you fucking Dumbos' ears.

It'll be handy enough you can move tight corners, they also have light attachments, and the .410 flachet rounds are fucking nastyyyyyyyy and shouldn't hurt your neighbors.

Now get the FUCK out!
>>
File: 1463506869276.jpg (73KB, 562x600px) Image search: [Google]
1463506869276.jpg
73KB, 562x600px
>>31346008
>unironically recommending a fucking garbage Judge
>>
>>31346900
>judge
>literally only taurus that is not complete garbage

And he's the civi? If he's a civi, you're a fucking nogunz.
>>
>>31345346
Just get this. It's powerful, accurate, concealable, and reliable. You don't have to worry about it jamming like a semi auto.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/70241/Ruger+5719+SP101+KSP-331X+5RD+357MAG38SP++P+3%22
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.