[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you think revolvers are more, less, or equally intimidating/frightening/whatever

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 7

File: 617B.jpg (24KB, 450x340px) Image search: [Google]
617B.jpg
24KB, 450x340px
Do you think revolvers are more, less, or equally intimidating/frightening/whatever to no-gun folks compared to semi-auto pistols?
>>
>>31337530
Less in my experience. I have a couple libfag nogun friends who both think revolvers are far more acceptable than the scary magazine accepting semiautos.
>>
Less. It is dumb, and most no-gun people don't understand how guns work at all, but the image of a revolver is less scary than the image of a pistol for whatever reason.
>>
equally or more

i think a lot of non-gun people attribute a lot of the gun's lethality to the caliber and the physical size, so a k frame or n frame smith in.38 or a .44mag will seem much more lethal than a glock 19, even when the 19 has 16 rounds versus only 6 for the revolver.

for example, you'd see a lot of people calling a smith 27 or 29 a 'hand cannon', but it would be rare for them to acknowledge a glock 20 as having the same lethality. I think this is in part due to video game logic, where guns have to be balanced; a gun with a large magazine can't have powerful individual rounds, whereas a video game gun with only 6 shots will have greater power per round. obviously this is not true, since the 10mm in the glock 20 has equivalent stopping power as the .357
>>
>>31337544
Less probably because it makes people (Inc me) think of old timey policemen with them
>>
Most non gun people I know can't tell the difference and use "pistol" and "revolver" interchangeably for handguns.
>>
>>31337761
o yea that kind of triggers me
>>
File: 1472981993380.jpg (29KB, 410x595px) Image search: [Google]
1472981993380.jpg
29KB, 410x595px
>>31337567
>Texas Chainsaw Massacre Lifeguard Team
>>
>>31337567
black cop
>man, white people can be so weird sometimes
>>
>>31337840
>>31337868
Kek. That cop just standing there like it's a normal day.
>>
I think revolvers had a massive impact on peoples opinions decades ago. Mostly because of the sam trial which was a catalyst for gun control, but the trial itself the lawyer made a strawman saying the fucking dog told him to when that was the brandname of the gun so now people think the gun makes people do shit uncontrollably. The thinking just switched over to semi's when they started becoming more prolific. Most people really don't understand guns I use to dislike them when I really knew nothing part of it is being stuck in a neanderthal mode of thinking that some forms of violence are more or less honorable despite all of it being "unacceptable" to have happen since they know it is going to happen anyway, there is really just a lack of thinking going on there that you really forfeit a lot of your expectations of rights and safety committing those acts against innocent people before a court says you lost it.
>>
>>31338570
>my mode of thinking was a neanderthal mode not saying that about everyone that dislikes the things
>>
>>31337530
Modern revolvers look so-unthreatening compared to their forebears.
>>
File: image.gif (2MB, 300x332px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2MB, 300x332px
>>31338570

Is this fresh pasta ?
>>
>>31337567
Here in Australia, or Victoria at least, cops were carrying revolvers well into the 00's. Their glocks weren't rolled out until the last 10-12 years and even then it took a while.
>>
I personally find revolvers more intimidating. I've only had a few guns put in my face and the one revolver was a little unnerving as I could see the projectiles in the cylinder. Something about looking into the cavity of the hollow point and imagining it expanding inside my head scares me a bit.
>>
Less in my experience, too. Not sure if it's because of the limited capacity or that so much of the mechanical innards are exposed and therefore less of an unknown.

Media portrayal of modern handguns being high capacity atomic weapons doesn't help much either.
>>
>>31338707
No I was just thinking about this a while ago. That incident was behind some gun control legislation and I noticed a lot of the older 'nobody should have guns, they have minds of their own!' types were about hippy age and were around when that stuff happened. Just a theory.
>>
File: Faster-RugerSRA-9.jpg (58KB, 852x356px) Image search: [Google]
Faster-RugerSRA-9.jpg
58KB, 852x356px
>>31337530
Nah, just the snubby shit like yours.

The media however has made magnums and other big round revolvers bretty intimidating.
>mfw wanted a Ruger Alaskan for no good reason due to a movie.
>>
File: 1368798944657.jpg (6KB, 196x254px) Image search: [Google]
1368798944657.jpg
6KB, 196x254px
>>31338732
>they get new semi-auto's
>their new holsters don't fit them
mfw
>>
>>31337530
I think that there's a romanticism attached to revolvers. They bring to mind pulp heroes and cowboys.

And generally, they are prettier than semi-autos.
>>
File: ayyy.jpg (80KB, 921x547px) Image search: [Google]
ayyy.jpg
80KB, 921x547px
the revolver has more or less turned into the classy "gentlemans firearm"

the fedora of firearms if you will.

the man who shot you with a revolver will talk on and on about how the bullet that came out of their glorious firearm tipped a bit before it entered you. and how you should feel honored to be shot by it.

you'll be more annoyed than intimidated.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.