[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could you explain pros and cons of this weapon in noob friendly terms?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

File: Stgw_90.jpg (28KB, 1052x270px) Image search: [Google]
Stgw_90.jpg
28KB, 1052x270px
Could you explain pros and cons of this weapon in noob friendly terms?
>>
>>31317952
Makes led go where you want
When you want
Without exceptions
>>
---CONS---
1 Heavier compared to AR (especially front heavy)
2 Expensive magazines
3 Shitty stock trigger
4 Parts are expensive and harder to come by

---PROS---
1 CHF Swiss barrel
2 Folding Stock
3 Piston Master race
4 Reliable (see 3)
5 No retarded skyscraper height mount for optics needed
6 Charging handle ergonomics beat AR

There are more on both pros and cons but that's a few for ya.
>>
File: 1402828539567.png (409KB, 1723x2498px) Image search: [Google]
1402828539567.png
409KB, 1723x2498px
it's one of the longest reaching and most accurate 5.56 NATO rifles on the planet, because it was designed to shoot hotter loads and be used on Swiss mountains.

It has some similarities to the AK rifles, namely long-stroke piston action, which makes it very reliable.

The cons? Well, it's quite unobtainium in US, kinda heavy, and does not accept normal STANAG mags... but then again those European poly-mags are super sturdy and reliable.
>>
>>31317952
It is gun.
It shoot fast.
Do not hold trigger down all time or you run out of ammo fast.
>>
>>31318018
>Shitty stock trigger
Things you would never say if you had some hours training with one
>>
>>31317952
Cons: Pussy ass .556 round
Pros: Not an AR15, Sexier than most modern rifles, swiss engineering, better ergonomics.
>>
>>31318018
>Shitty stock trigger
u wot m8?
>>
>>31318018
>1 CHF Swiss barrel
Pretty sweet.

>2 Folding Stock
In my opinion an overrated convenience, looking at the rifle in OP's picture, it's long as shit already, folding stocks feel more at home on small carbines and subguns.
I'd rather have a large recoil buffer in a solid stock, but that said, it is a good example of a folding rifle stock.

>3 Piston Master race
A perfectly viable way to make a rifle indeed.

>4 Reliable (see 3)
More reliable by a tiny margin, and even that is debatable, I bet you think the Stoner gas system blows gas into the back of the receiver and into the FCG or shit, or that it's difficult to clean.

>5 No retarded skyscraper height mount for optics needed
The AR has tall sights because of the completely inline stock, which really helps with eliminating muzzle-climb.

>6 Charging handle ergonomics beat AR
I'll give you that, the AR would be a lot better suited with a different arrangement, but standards are standards, I guess.

>>31318220
>Pussy ass .556 round
Nigger have you seen what 5.56mm can do out of a 20" barrel? That shit can near cut off your arm.
Add to the fact that the Swiss hotrod their rifle ammo for longer reach and fucking obscene velocity, and that shit will RUIN you.
>>
>>31319216
t. AR fanboy
>>
>>31319390
well meme'd ^.^ *gives thumbs up*
>>
>>31319390
You sure showed up my statement, kid.
>>
The SG550 series is a nice platform. Well designed, swiss engineering. Not much tops it I'll say.

Better than AR-15 in my personal opinion.
>>
>>31319216
[Different anon here]
> I bet you think the Stoner gas system blows gas into the back of the receiver and into the FCG or shit, or that it's difficult to clean.

It's by no means shit, but it is inherently flawed in a way no modern rifle should be. The AR-15 is far from a perfect weapons platform. It's just been massively refined and bandaged because it's so popular.
Put it this way: barring special circumstances, there is no way that I would ever design a new rifle with that type of gas system. It's an outdated concept, especially with modern short-stroke pistons.
>>
>>31319556
>but it is inherently flawed in a way no modern rifle should be
Elaborate on this statement.
>>
>>31319809
Dumping fouling into the action, excess heat transfer to the reciever burning off lubricant, sensitivity to varying pressures, etc. All the usual shit.
It's not that these problems can't be fixed, it's just that, barring special circumstances where where you really don't want a gas piston, there's no point in dealing with them in the first place. The AR15 really only uses a modified DI system because Eugene Stoner wanted a totally inline action with no rails, and gas piston would've created asymmetrical forces on the BCG (as it does on piston AR's).
>>
>>31319978
>dumping fouling into the action

nice meme friend, the DI stoner design leaves no additional fouling compared to other rifles.
>>
>>31319978
He fell for the shits where it eats meme
>>
>>31320023
Does it not? The action of my old SP1 fouled up like a motherfucker compared to the AR-180 using the same ammo.
>>
File: sip.png (674KB, 1274x712px) Image search: [Google]
sip.png
674KB, 1274x712px
>>31319978
>Dumping fouling into the action,
Not a problem, the gas isn't so much "dumped into the action" as it goes inside the bolt-carrier, in a gas-chamber, where it unlocks the action, the gas is then vented out the side, through the ejection port. The inside of the bolt carrier is literally made to handle hot and dirty gasses by design, and it then gets rid of them outside of the gun; you really don't ever need to clean this space for the gun to cycle.

And even if that would be a problem for you, a Nickel Boron plated BCG will make cleaning it so easy it's not even funny.

>excess heat transfer to the reciever burning off lubricant,
That's the first time I've heard someone say that, but I'm imagining that's something that can happen to any weapon.
Yeah, the AR heats up faster, repeatedly the action has shown itself to be ill suited for support weapons such as SAWs and GPMGs, but ultimately this doesn't matter all that much for an infantry rifle, and that's what an AR-15 is.

>sensitivity to varying pressures, etc
Elaborate.
>>
>>31320137
>anecdote
Yeah well, that's worthless.

Majority of fouling within the action is due to backpull of the gasses in the barrel. Protip, all guns do it, even bolt actions, you're breaking an air tight seal and creating a vacuum.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh-Pd0vOdKA
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPwTGfhUulk
>>
>>31319216
Exactly, get hot loads and shoot it through a sg550, or dont use 556 at all.
>>
>>31320246
Regular M193 already does great in any regular 20" barreled rifle.
>>
>>31317952
pros:
it's an ak derivative
it looks cool

cons:
magazines aren't stanag or ak
doesn't use ar furniture
sig usa is staffed by complete idiots
it's an ak derivative
>>
>>31319978
You're also discounting many of the positives it offers...

>Lighter
>Yet less recoil
>So simple any GI could fix it
>Makes a more balanced rifle

On top of all of that, any well built AR that is cleaned every 2-3k rounds will never fail. My friend's SR-15 had about 5k rounds through it (its also suppressed mind you) and only just had its first failure.

Finally, when it comes to dirt and sand a piston wont make your rifle any more reliable...

Basically the more I learn about DI the more it makes sense. Especially when I realize I've literall put at least 3k rounds through mine with out a single failure (no exaggeration).
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.