[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Low-Mid Tier Handguns

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 5

File: high test.jpg (70KB, 714x500px) Image search: [Google]
high test.jpg
70KB, 714x500px
I want to buy a Rolex, but a friend told me it was dumb because what if someone breaks in/mugs me, etc. It really made me think about how unprepared I am in any case, Rolex or no.

I live in Texas, I never really got into handguns because I live in the city and most people I know don't really shoot very much.

What should I buy around $400-900 to defend my home and person? Should I be spending more/less? I read that a shotgun is the ultimate home defender, but that seems like overkill, plus the ability to get a license to carry with a handgun is cool.

I don't particularly trust salesmen so I don't really want to ask people who make commissions what gun I should be buying.

FYI your sticky kind of sucks.
>>
>>31312958
1.) Rolex is pleb tier, it's the watch equivalent of a riced out Honda Civic. Might impress your buddies who own minivans, but real niggas will know you're a bitch.

2.) Go to a gun shop and fingerfuck guns until you find one you like. A good "starter" gun would be a double stack compact 9mm. Glock 19s are very popular and affordable, though there are numerous other options that are similar if you feel like being a hipster about it. H&K VP9, Walther PPQ, CZ has a compact (forget the model name), there's an infographic out there that has a whole list of viable options but I don't have it. Just find something you like, then google it to find out if it's a piece of shit or not.
>>
Your friend is right. The cheapest rolex is what? 4 grand?

For that much money, you can get a top of the line firearm.
>>
>>31313050
>1.) Rolex is pleb tier, it's the watch equivalent of a riced out Honda Civic. Might impress your buddies who own minivans, but real niggas will know you're a bitch.
im thinking the datejust model which is closer to 10k

>>31313092
yeah but what am i going to do with a 4 grand firearm??
>>
This bait is bad and you should feel bad
>>
>>31312958

What features are important to you?
Do you want a safety?
Do you prefer high capacity, or high caliber?
Are you planning to concealed carry?
How often do you plan to train?
>>
>>31313196
Watch it noticeably increase in value over time?

Shoot it?

Defend yourself with it?
>>
>>31312958
get a $200(when on sale) LCP and be done with it. It doesn't sound like you intend to practice much, nor do you have a desire to really carry a real holster type set up. LCP, get a pocket holster, if the worst happens pull it out aim and pull the trigger. Good luck to yah. They are good small and reliable.
>>
>>31313231

>What features are important to you?
reliable, low maintenance, can live in a safe but still shoot if i need it to a year later.

Do you want a safety?
i guess but it's not a deal breaker

Do you prefer high capacity, or high caliber?
6+, caliber 9mm rated for +p rounds because i read that's the best all around caliber

Are you planning to concealed carry?
no, but I'll get a license in case I feel the need to.

How often do you plan to train?
depends on a lot of factors, but not all that much.
>>
File: 1473089665884.jpg (12KB, 258x245px) Image search: [Google]
1473089665884.jpg
12KB, 258x245px
>>31313244
>Watch it noticeably increase in value over time?
you think a used firearm will hold value better than a good-condition rolex?

>>31313282
i noticed that in a top 5 handguns for a budget video but i dont want a gun made of some type of plymer or plastic or whatever.
seems like a bad idea all around
>>
File: VZM.IMG_20160824_174232.jpg (131KB, 898x513px) Image search: [Google]
VZM.IMG_20160824_174232.jpg
131KB, 898x513px
I always reccommend a glock 17 or 19 to newer handgun shooters. A few readons:
-they are notoruously reliable
-stupidly simply to disassemble/clean
-if you decide it's not for you, you are only out 300-400
-with left over money you can buy ammo and practice shoiting

If you go with a glock 17 I recommend 124 grain or higher ammo.
If a 19 or 26 115 should be good
>>
>>31313050
>Just find something you like, then google it to find out if it's a piece of shit or not.
is this a common theme with guns?

are there any brands that have the reliability factor down pat?
>>
>>31313336
Wow my phone keyboard and spelling errors are atrocious
>>
>but i dont want a gun made of some type of plymer or plastic or whatever
Even though I carry a sp101
Polymer guns are probably the best to cc considering polymer doesn't corrode or rust
>>
>>31313326
>you think a used firearm will hold value better than a good-condition rolex?
I hope you don't think this is false.
>>
File: Goblinass.png (21KB, 91x74px) Image search: [Google]
Goblinass.png
21KB, 91x74px
>>31312958
There is no such thing as "Overkill" when it comes to defending yourself, and potentially other people around you. Go with the Mossberg 500. A durable $200-$350 12 gauge shotgun, with excellent versatility regarding usage, customization, and load types. You could potentially purchase a handgun of some sort as well, depending on your leftover funds. But save money for ammunition. And don't buy an expensive watch before you have a reliable means of protection. If you can't keep yourself alive or in good condition if shit doesn't go your way, then you definitely won't be able to get that fancy watch you're wanting
>>
>>31313336

do you think a CZ 75 compact is a better or worse than glock 19?
>>
>>31313196
>datejust
You dun goof'd. Spending that money for some entry level yuppie Rolex. If you're going to spend the money get a vintage Submariner, red if you can find it.
>>
>>31313326
>you think a used firearm will hold value better than a good-condition rolex?

Are you touched in the head?
>>
>>31313388
so then what are the drawbacks to polymer?

excuse my ignorance.

>>31313396
vitnage rolexs hold value pretty well and the upscale models can actually go up in price over time.

the problem with a 4000 dollar rifle is it's completely impractical. what are you, in all likelihood, going to shoot? paper targets at the range? hunting deer?
seems like a complete waste of money in comparison.

>buying a 4000 dollar rifle to hunt gamey meat
>"defending a home" with a 4000 dollar rifle when AR 15s and shotguns go for like 800
>>
>>31313417
no, see, when you kill the bad guy, they win.
>>
>>31313465
so you're saying how a high end gun is impractical, yet a high end watch isn't?
>>
>>31313418
Cz makes a great product. If you have the cash go for it. Beautiful timeless looking classic. Reliability is also rather hight too. Not owning one however, o can not comment on the ease of takedown and cleaning.
>>
>>31313439
one day maybe if I decide to collect, but i work in an office, i need a tasteful watch, not something to rival a CEO.

>less than ten years in the office waltzing into work with a vintage rolex sports watch
>might as well beg to not be promoted
>>
>>31313418
Sorry, forgot to mention. Glock 19 is far more concealable.
>>
buy a fake rolex -- the chinks are really, really good now can find one for 200 bucks online
>>
>>31313467
Guess it just depends on where you live in that regard
>>
>>31313497
They'll think it was your old mans. But I see your point. Check out the Datejust II if you can, its nice and subtle but still big enough to let you know its there without catching your bosses eye.
>>
>>31313487
a high end watch is a couple things: a status symbol, a personal memento/milestone, a feat of horology, a reasonable fashion piece.
you can wear it everyday because it keeps the time, which you need.

a high end rifle meets very few criteria in terms of pragmatism.

>>31313491
thanks for the tip m8. I've shot a glock and a revolver before but i've never pulled the trigger, pun intended, on buying a handgun.

desu, the cz looks very nice too, unlike the glock.
>>
>>31313465
>drawbacks
Well these are kind of inherent
Polymer is lighter and therefore has more felt recoil
You can limp wrist polymer guns
Limp writing is when you bend your wrist and arm too much where the energy of the recoil isn't transferred to the slide enough
This could cause failure to feed and eject

But that's a training issue
And I guess a polymer gun is easier to break
>>
>>31313524
if you're that paranoid about over penetration, even pistol calibers will penetrate walls.

You need to work out your building layout, where everyone or potential innocent people will be. Buy the right ammunition. Practice and Train.
You don't just buy a gun and think it'll do all the work.
>>
>>31313326
>plastic or whatever.
>seems like a bad idea all aroun

The shit that matters isn't polymer, they are in the top 5 for a reason. Glocks are equally polymer.
>>
Get whatever you shoot best
>>
>>31313511
the difference between a 20 dollar hooker and a fake watch is that the feeling of being a cheap fuck eventually goes away after the hooker leaves.

some things are worth shelling out for.
>>
>>31313326
>ou think a used firearm will hold value better than a good-condition rolex

AES10-B RPK, 2 years ago $550-600, today $1200

PSL 400-800 over the years, they now go for 1200-1600

WASR 400-550, currently 750 if you can find them

want me to keep going?
>>
>>31313536
ahh i see.

i think i prefer metal then.

i have shot a few guns here and there, mainly a glock and revolver, I think i want something more substantial
>>
>>31313549
You certainly have a point. OP should take all of that into account prior to the purchase.
>>
>>31313581
I am the glock guy.

If you want metal you could check out HK
>>
>>31313465

High end handguns are a thing.

Sphinx 2000/3000, SIG P210, Manurhin M73, Mateba...

There are a fuckton of options available and the numbers in the blue book just keep going up.
>>
>>31313573
yeah and a lamborghini bought in the 70s can be in the millions

various items hold, appreciate, and depreciate in value.
im not buying a gun to hock in the future. i seriously doubt a glock bought in 2016 will appreciate more than a vintage submariner, day date, etc.

also the price of firearms is also surely tied to politics, much more so than watches so it's a market with more vulnerability.

daily reminder obama is the #1 gun salesman of the decade
>>
>>31313581
If you actually intend to carry you'll want something light. Many have found that lugging a chunk of steel around becomes a chore. Half the reason every other cop you see carries a glock.
>>
>>31312958
As far as the watch goes, it's your money, whatever.

What's more important than the type of firearm you're buying is that you know how to use it. Take a firearms safety class for sure. Take a pistol class. Go to range and rent the ones you think you might like and put some rounds through them. Buy a gun and practice with it.

Buying a gun and thinking you can defend yourself from a group of intruders after your ten grand watch is like buying a grand piano and expecting to know how to play it.
>>
>>31313536
>You can limp wrist polymer guns

You can limp-wrist any recoil operated gun. Being polymer or not has nothing to do with it.
>>
>>31313536
>you can limp wrist a polymer gun
Try limp-wristing any recoil operated pistol and see what happens.
>>
>>31313625
HK doesn't sell any metal-framed pistols these days. reasonable options for new metal framed pistols are Sig, Beretta, and the assorted CZ/Tanfos.

>>31313646

custom 2011s can be $5k easily.
>>
>>31313534
A $100,000+ Holland & Holland will be nearly the same status symbol object. Not to mention when you take it to an expensive hunting trip on some expensive exotic animal, that itself is a status symbol.

But in the end of the day, a gun is to send a projectile out one end at something.
A watch is to tell time.

Both can be had for various degrees of price.
Both function on extremely different roles OUTSIDE of status symbol whatevers.
Your original argument that firearms don't hold value somehow shifted to watches holding not only monetary value, but the value of it's use as well, which I don't believe is true.

>pragmatism
a $10000 watch doesn't sound that pragmatic to me.
>>
>>31313581
>metal guns
Alright then I'd recommend
>>Sig 938
>9mm
>Single Action Only
>Subcompact
>Single stack magazine

>>Colt Mustang
>.380 ACP
>>see above for rest

>>Browning .380 ACP 1911
>>see above

>CZ Rami
>9mm
>DA/SA
>subcompact
>double stack magazine
>>
>>31313573
or some jamal will mug the guy with a vintage-rolex with his $150 Hi-Point.
Guess guns are not really all that useful.
>>
>>31313662
>Half the reason every other cop you see carries a glock
why does it feel like this is the most wrong statement ever?
>>
smith n wesson m&p shield 9mm
>>
>>31313693
>a $10000 watch doesn't sound that pragmatic to me.
what you meant to say is $10,000 to keep the time seems like a waste of money...to you
>>
>>31313696
ty will see if local gun shop has rentals
>>
>>31313806
right, and a $4000 gun seems like a waste of money...to you
>>
File: 41Za8m83J5L._SY300_QL70_.jpg (10KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
41Za8m83J5L._SY300_QL70_.jpg
10KB, 300x300px
Wear this watch and get your CCP and a SIG P320C to fight them jealous bastards off!!!
>>
>>31313822
Oh shit m8 I just realized you were also looking for a HD handgun
The list I recommended is just for concealed carry

Off the top of my head, I'll go with a Beretta 92 compact chambered in 9mm
>>
>>31312958
FNS-9

A glock on steroids that costs $150 less.

Handgun is your best bet considering how versatile they are. They can go from home defense to car defense to on your person defense.
>>
>>31313924

if you want HD, strongly consider a carbine.

if you go with a pistol, no reason not to get a full size if you're not going to be CC-ing it. weight and ease of concealment aren't concerns to you anymore at that point. so full sized Berettas, SIGs, CZ/Tanfos... i guess the Lionheart and S&W Autos. plus the various 1911s. if you want more capacity in your 1911, look at a STI (since a SVI or a custom shop gun often has several months to years of lead time)
>>
>>31313924
>>31313973

i dont plan on concealed carrying a lot, just times when i know i may be in a bad area and what not, beretta looks sexy
>>
>>31313912

I would wear that unironically.
>>
>>31314001
wtf, nigga why?
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.