[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Chrome Lined Barrels

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: Screenshot_2016-06-03-23-00-21.png (933KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-06-03-23-00-21.png
933KB, 1280x720px
How vital are they in an AR? Can you get by just fine without one?
>>
>>31312950
Help please.
>>
>>31312950

The answer is: It depends.

If you are building a target rifle, you DO NOT want a chromed barrel. The chrome lining process is not perfect and the result is a less accurate barrel.

If you are building a SHTF rifle, then you DO want one. They are much more resistant to crap conditions and treatment.
>>
chrome lined or melonite/nitride or stainless steel are fine.
>>
>>31313643
>melonite/nitride
any verdict on this yet? Last time I looked around the internet, it's still too soon to tell how well melonite/nitride treatment holds up.
>>
>>31313767
to answer you oringal question, not vital at all. some people like the idea of extra durability and are willing to pay for it. this is why CHF barrels are very popular in the aftermaket-market.
as far as melonite goes, it seems to get very good reviews. like anything else, go with a known company if you melonite. companies like radical firearms seem to just give melonite a bad name.
>>
>>31313767
Very much confirmed that they increase life. The best way to melonite/nitride is still a topic of debate. Neither treatment does anything to reduce corrosion in the case of a chrome-moly barrel though, and if you are after the most corrosion proof and longest life then chrome lined is still the way to go. Criterion's new chrome lined wylde barrels are apparently very accurate for a chrome lined barrel.

If you want a shoot and forget rifle and you care about man sized accuracy then chrome lined. If you want better accuracy get the Criterion wyled and report back.

If you want an MOA or better AR barrel than SS is the way to go. Melonite/Nitride as available and as you see fit.
>>
>>31313767
True nitriding goes down to...oh, 7 thou off the top of my head? If it's a really good treat its gtg.
>>
>>31313818

SS barrels tend to be heavy for whatever reason. just something to keep in mind.
>>
>>31313844
Metallurgy man.
>>
Army Ordinance deleted chrome lining on the M16 despite Stoner's objections. Literally added it back on the M16A1. We call that a clue.

There is no disadvantage except an extra $50. You are not going to notice accuracy loss except on benchrest rifles. Melonite is a good finish, but it's not better than chrome for barrel life or corrosion resistance
>>
Go chrome or go home.
>>
>>31313844
It's because they are typically "accuracy" barrels and therefore a heavy profile. The density of 416r is almost identical to most chro-mo steels.
>>
>>31314085
I notice accuracy lost. No one who competes in any competition with the AR uses a chrome lined barrel.
>>
>>31314585
I should clarify. I've obviously not shot a barrel then chrome lines it then shot it again. I have not found a chrome lined barrel that can match any of my SS AR barrels for accuracy.
>>
>>31314594
You're an inexperienced amateur.
>>
I have one ar so it's chromed
I don't shoot for accuracy so it's hot that big of a deal for me, I'd rather have smoother shooting and more durability
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.