[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can you actually make decent money in the military?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: burning-money-e1340332352315.jpg (47KB, 616x417px) Image search: [Google]
burning-money-e1340332352315.jpg
47KB, 616x417px
Background: I'm a software developer out of college for 2 years now, I'm making 50k (before taxes). For a while there I considered joining the military, but it looked like it would take several years of experience and hitting a pretty decent officer rank (was it major? I can't remember) just to break even. How do people live off of the pay in the military? Is it possible to serve your country without going broke?
>>
28, E-6, I gross 60k. Plus all the benefits like free Healthcare I'd say I'm doing good.
>>
>>31222925
>he doesn't know barracks housing is a thing
>he doesn't know free food in the DFAC is a thing
>he doesn't know BAH and BAS are a thing

If you do it right you don't have to touch your actual pay for any living expenses and it's entirely entertainment/savings money.
>>
>>31222925
>>31222993
This.

I spent nearly all 4 years of my military life living this way. You live in the barracks, you eat the chow hall food, and you patch your own clothing. The only thing you have to worry about paying for is the internet bill. The rest can go to whatever you want. For me it was a lot of video games. Don't get on the drinking bandwagon though, or you'll be like the rest of the broke fucks that blow their checks at the nearest dive bar. I left the military with over 40k in savings. And now I go to college and get $1200 a month for BAH.
>>
21, E-4. I got $40k saved up, an econbox, and money for dumb shit. Seriously, you don't make shit in the military (24k for JEWs) but you have everything provides. 3 hots and a cot witb free gym, medical, and dental. And the funny thing is, people don't realize how good housing and food is for the modern soldier. My bedroom is 150sq ft with a walk-in closet. The common area that I share with another Joe has a full fridge, bathroom, stove, microwave, washer, and dryerm There are 6 DFACs on post with weird schedules but all are pretty good and the ones run by civilians are fantastic. No matter how much the food blows, I can be fat and go to the grill for a double cheeseburger with fries.

Now does having no A/C or heater, neighbors blasting music at weird hours, and NCO-fuckery suck? For sure. But if you hate it, use it as motivation to get married or go SOF.
>>
>>31223065
Get in one of the barracks with Xfinity wifi and then buy a hacked acxount. I paid $40 for 4 accounts and they lasted for 2 years.
>>
>>31223065
>I left the military with over 40k in savings.
This, I left as a newly minted E-5 (literally the week prior to EASing) with over $60k in savings and $30k in my TSP. Did some money on travel and wasn't actively being spartan lifestyle but otherwise just socked it away.

Also how are you making only $50k a year as a software developer, I'm punching out a degree in CompSci right now and people are typically getting low to mid $70k starting after graduation.
>>
>>31222993
>>31223065
Hadn't really considered that aspect, that makes sense. A follow up, then: do people with degrees frequently make long-term careers out of the military? A lot of what I see online refers to just joining up long enough to pay your way through school, but like I mentioned before, I've already got a degree. I was thinking air force, but do they even hire for the long-term like that?
>>
File: Officer%20Ranks.jpg (487KB, 750x988px) Image search: [Google]
Officer%20Ranks.jpg
487KB, 750x988px
>>31223141
>A follow up, then: do people with degrees frequently make long-term careers out of the military?

Yes, these people are pic related.

Google Officer Candidate School.
>>
>>31223122
I stayed in my hometown after graduation because the cost of living here's cheap, I plan to find a better job sooner or later, but I'm cooling my jets for a little bit and just enjoying not being in school anymore right now. (that said you make a good point, I need to start working on moving up more seriously)
>>
>>31223141
>A follow up, then: do people with degrees frequently make long-term careers out of the military? A lot of what I see online refers to just joining up long enough to pay your way through school, but like I mentioned before, I've already got a degree. I was thinking air force, but do they even hire for the long-term like that?
What the fuck are officers for $200, Alex?

USAF would probably snap you up for cyber related shit. Though I don't know because as >>31223122 said, you must suck to be making such criminally low wages for coding.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.