[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In 1858, a solar storm melted telegraph equipment world wide.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

In 1858, a solar storm melted telegraph equipment world wide.

Tomorrow, a solar event happens that does the same thing. All phone lines and satellites are destroyed. Most electronics are fried. It will be at least a year until power is restored.

How fucked are you?
>>
At least I don't have to go to work anymore.
>>
>>31215629
Same. Can't put solar panels up if they're fried.
>>
>tfw normies don't realize how fragile the electric network really is and how deep back into the stone age a good solar storm could throw us
>>
>>31215629
>>31215676
Nigga how you gonna eat
>>
>>31215822
Hunt the fat bodies.
>>
>>31215807
>tfw retards don't realize that vital shit is shielded to the point that even emp is close to being useless
>>
>>31215509

I'm IT.
But it's not like they can fucking call me, so I guess I'm good out here in the country.
>>
>>31215629
this
>>
>>31215509
Not so long ago I started a list of things to have in faraday cage in case of EMP or big sun flare, what i forgot?

1. Laptop
2. Hard drives with backups
3. perifirials
4. TV
5. solar panels+inverter, batteries, etc.
6. LED lights
>>
>>31215906
>tfw retarded normies don't realize that the power grid would be fried, leaving a bunch of heavily shielded but useless junk.
>>
>>31215906
Vital shit means military installations. Not the normie's telephone systems.
>>
>>31215931
Onahole warmer
>>
Would be ok. I have enough food ammo guns to keep the property going for a few months. Enough time to evaluate what to do next.
>>
>>31215822
>Implying the average k use doesn't have 4 metric tons of MREs and dried beans hidden in the crawlspace under their house.
>>
>>31215978
>3. perifirials
>>
>>31215993
Oh, right. I think you're set.
>>
>>31215931
>3. perifirials
You should add a dictionary, cretin.
The word is "peripherals".
>>
>>31215509
Bad time of year, planting wise. Too late in the season to get a crop of anything in except radishes. Fuck radishes.

First thing I'd do is grab my ready reserve cash and run into town to see who's still open and what they've got available.

Side note- I'll buy the phone and power lines getting cooked. Satellites, too. That voodoo bullshit about EMP cooking all electronics is bullshit. Damage is a function of item size, in multiples or fractions of a wavelength which I can't remember the range of ATM.

So, anyhow, I'd work my way up one side of the main drag and down the other, hitting everyplace that has any kind of long term food, and the feed store. I'd even check the 4 gas stations in town, clear out their junk food selections.

Without doing any of that, I figure we could make it through 6 months, easy, with what's on hand. Gonna lose some weight, and we're not always going to have a perfectly balanced meal, but we won't starve.

There's a couple of small dairy farms about a quarter mile away, I'll see if they want labor in trade for milk. That becomes cheese, for long term storage. I figure they'll probably be glad to get rid of it, since they can't process it and can't ship raw milk.

Once spring rolls around, I'll be putting in as big a kitchen garden as I have seed for.

All told, we should pull through ok. Water will be a minor pain in the ass because it has to be hauled up from the river. Otherwise, we're good.
>>
>>31215822
Hunt. Or make friends/kill people who have food.
>>
>>31215983
But no water or fuel to cook those beans.
>>
File: 902-128.jpg (153KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
902-128.jpg
153KB, 480x360px
>>31215509
>How fucked are you?

Very.

Food wise I'm fine. My family has 8 acres out in the country, a huge seed collection for planting in the spring, 150lbs of beef in the freezer, several generators + gasoline to run the freezer until we can smoke/salt the meat, 30-40 pounds of both flour and sugar, plus about 3-4 weeks of normal groceries. All of this should be enough to feed 6 people through the mild Texas winter until the first planting can start in March and harvest in May. Plus, if the power, internet, and phones go out all at once, I'll know that its a major solar storm (unlike most of the population) and I'll hit the nearest Walmart for as much salt, flour, rice, beans, and multivitamins and peanut butter as I can carry in the first couple of hours before the panic starts.

However, people are going to be the number one problem. I live about 15 miles outside of a major, million person population center, in a fringe-rural area that has a surprising high population density for a rural area. Even worse, my house is about 6-7 miles by a main road heading to the worst ghetto shithole in the area... I can imagine tens or even hundreds of thousands of hungry refugees coming this way because they believe (incorrectly) that there is food in the countryside just there for the taking. It's going to be Katrina to the 10th fucking power; and Katrina had armed gangs of 50+ hoodrats running around with WASR's and Hi-points, cops setting looters on fucking fire, and National Guard units considered the area a fucking insurgency on par with Iraq.

Now, my family has enough guns to equip everyone (3 rifles, 3 shotguns, 2 pistols) plus lots of scrap metal, trees, and fencing/barbwire to fortify our land into a compound, but that will not stop a determined assault by dozens/hundreds of starving people who have nothing to lose, it will only delay them.

goddamn writing this down really makes me want to buy more guns. And bulletproof vests.
>>
Pretty fucked. I've got enough ammunition to keep everybody in town away but heat sources in wyoming are gonna be a real bitch. If this happens I guess I'll head south to warmer territory. I keep a battery, points, condensor, sparkplug wires and a cap and rotor in a faraday cage. Have fun walking fuckers. I'll be driving.
>>
>>31216116
Invest in a pump and water tanks?
>>
>>31218267
>Have fun walking fuckers. I'll be driving.

EMP has no almost no effect on vehicles. Electrical storms do nothing at all.

http://www.empcommission.org/docs/A2473-EMP_Commission-7MB.pdf

>We tested a sample of 37 cars in an EMP simulation laboratory, with automobile vin-
tages ranging from 1986 through 2002. Automobiles of these vintages include extensive electronics and represent a significant fraction of automobiles on the road today. The testing was conducted by exposing running and non-running automobiles to sequentially increasing EMP field intensities.
>No effects were
subsequently observed in those automobiles
that were not turned
on during EMP exposure. The most serious effect observed on running automobiles was that the motors in three cars stopped at field strengths of approximately 30 kV/m or above. In an actual EMP exposure, these vehicles would glide to a stop and require the driver to restart them. Electronics in the dashboard of one automobile were damaged and required repair.
>Twenty-five automobiles exhibited malfunctions that could be considered only a nuisance (e.g., blinking dashboard lights) and did not require driver intervention to correct. Eight of the 37 cars tested did not exhibit any anomalous response.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.