[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dove season, what do?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 8

File: IMG_20160903_204651762.jpg (836KB, 2430x1368px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160903_204651762.jpg
836KB, 2430x1368px
Alright /k/ I need help, I don't know where else to turn.

It's dove season, I've gone out a few times.

I bought three cases of 2 3/4 7 1/2 shot
$20.00 each

I outright miss half the birds I shoot at.

But that's not the issue, the issue is the half I hit, maybe 1/3rd of them drop dead. Another 1/3rd are forced to land, often a hundred or so yards into thick brush. The last 1/3rd simply lose a few feathers and keep flying.

So here I am, shooting at the same bird up to three times and only half the time I get a noticeable hit. Six shells per bird in bag, completely unsatisfactory.

So I come here to ask, what is the best bang for buck, least dollar per bird 12Gauge shell for dove hunting? Or any relevant information you have to help.

>This is all after an extensive internet search which every brand claims to be the best.
>>
File: IMG_20160903_204703058.jpg (1MB, 2430x1368px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160903_204703058.jpg
1MB, 2430x1368px
>>31209736
>lonely self bump.
>>
I think you're just not accustomed to the thing we call hunting anon. Sometimes maybe you need to pick your shots better or you just flat out suck. Learn to recognize.
>>
File: IMG_20140904_084810_312.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20140904_084810_312.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>31209909
Well, I appreciate the input.

I think I'm just going to buy a few boxes of 5 or 6 shot and just not shoot when they're incredibly close instead of not being able to drop them at 30-50 yards.
>>
File: 1472621599984.jpg (49KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
1472621599984.jpg
49KB, 512x384px
>>31209736
Learn how to shoot moving targets by going to a local trap and skeet club.
>mfw I'm an 8/10 shot because of trap and skeet.
>>
File: clays.jpg (165KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
clays.jpg
165KB, 720x960px
>>31210065
I've gone once and I did do at least round 25 straight. Although, I used to do about a box of Walmart clays a weekend nearly every weekend a few years ago. So to sharpen my question, why does what is labeled and recommended for a particular species feel completely under powered, incapable, and inhumane to take that game?
>>
Have you considered changing chokes?
>>
File: wheelies.jpg (116KB, 600x451px) Image search: [Google]
wheelies.jpg
116KB, 600x451px
>>31210344
No, but I'm buying a salvo 12 because I watched a certain movie one too many times. Or else that would probably be huge help.

I was really hoping it would be done with ATF jail before dove season, so I wouldn't be dealing with this ringing in my ears right now.

So I suppose I'll do a real thorough job of "patterning" it with the suppressor so I know exactly where my pellets are going instead of trial and error like I've been for the last 8 years.
(Half-assed practice yields half-assed improvements)

Well I'm off to bed, going to do some more hunting in the morning. Really trying to get the most out of the season.

>first ever wheelie captured on photo.
>>
Try increasing your weight of fire by building an elaborate system to fire multiple guns at the same time!
>>
>>31210965
Thanks England.
>>
>>31209736
>git gud
No seriously. Practice. Shoot skeet/trap. Make sure you lead your targets and follow-through. Since they're doves you can use smaller shot. Try 8s or 10 or even smaller, smaller shot = more shot volume. Also try changing your choke. Went pheasant hunting one time and couldnt hit shit, turns out i forgot i had my full choke in, so try your modified or improved choke. Also getting a dog will help a lot getting your downed birds. 5 and 6 shot are a little too big for dove.. that size is more for pheasant or grouse or maybe prarie chicken. Also if you're sitting just hold your horses and wait for them to get in real close. Shooting a bird thats moving away is alwayd a better shot because you'll hit their vitals rather than shooting through their breasts, which are what you eat. Also.. c'mon man wtf are you thinking hunting with a supressor? Kinda silly
>>
What choke are you shooting?

You probably shouldn't be shooting any choke at 50 yds with 7 1/2's Go up to fives or sixes or stick to closer shots. What particular brand and label of shells are you useing? I like Winchester AA dove loads or any 1 1/8 high brass max dram field load.
>>
>>31211565
Sorry, I was out at the bar. I'm home now waiting until my buddy shows up. I was/am using the cheapest shells I could find. So I'm wondering if I can stop having to shoot birds 2 or 3 times if I just bought more expensive shells, and if so which ones.
>>
>>31211539
you missed my question completely. why would I drop to smaller shot if ultimately I'm sick of birds I'm hitting flying away to die a day or two later? I suppose my tone isn't justified because clearly I can't articulate shit well enough to be understood.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.