[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I found this in my garage

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 9

File: image.jpg (181KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
181KB, 1600x900px
Can anyone tell me what this is? Looks like a flintlock or something and I'm hoping you guys can help me figure it out.

Will post pics
>>
File: image.jpg (192KB, 900x1600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
192KB, 900x1600px
Time stamp
>>
>>31208709
It's a cap and ball muzzleloader. Stock looks nearly new. Thats all I can really tell. Probably someone in your family hunted with it.
>>
>>31208752
not OP but its my gun he posted for me. My grandpa either got it when he moved to Canada or from scotland, that was about 50 years ago now
>>
>>31208684
It's a replica, I have one almost EXACTLY like that with the little chamber on the right side of the stock.
>>
>>31208771
I can go take a picture of the serial number and such
>>
Looks like a relatively modern cap and ball, possibly a kit gun, as most the factory builds use a darker stain on the stocks.
>>
>>31208709
>>31208752
>>31208767
I just did some google-ing. I think it's a lyman great plains rifle in .54.
>>
It's a traditions or maybe a cva.

Clean it up and shoot it. Black powder is lots of fun.

Might want to by a book on it first.
>>
>>31208684
Its a Hawken plains rifle. I have a CVA just like it.
>>
>>31208804
Yep. The Hawkin Hunter.
>>
>>31208684
It's a musket of some kind, the lock is not a flintlock, but a caplock, you put a percussion cap (sort of like the primer from a modern cartridge) on the 'nipple', the hammer crushes the cap, setting of the gunpowder load in the gun.

The charge in it is very fast and very reliable compared to a flintlock, working better in most environments.

Take a closeup on the lock and the nipple of the gun, then get a light and shine it down the bore, I want to see if it's rifled, as well as if it might even be loaded (don't worry, the gun can't fire without a cap).

Are there any text or markings on the gun? If the barrel is marked something along the lines of "Blackpowder only" then it's a replica, which probably isn't worth anything fantastic (a couple hundred dollars maybe), but they're still perfectly good guns.
It looks quite new though.

It looks to be in good shape, but you can have a gunsmith look it over if you're unsure. Muskets and replicas aren't regarded as firearms by Federal Law, so if you're in some state which requires a license for guns, this one doesn't typically need it.
>>
A bunch of gun makers made similar rifles. Yes rifle. Check for hexagonal rifling or modern rifling.

It's not likely original as the wood would be much darker.
>>
Look for a

Maker and model on the barrel or on a metal part.
>>
Give OP a second. He's a slow Asian, one of those /b/ varieties.
>>
These are the worst pictures I've ever seen. Holy shit
>>
>>31208971
Did you take these pictures in a flip phone?
>>
>>31208899
>>31208920
>>31208937
>>31208960
>>31208971

>400x225

Jesus fucking Christ OP
>>
Op can you just type what it says on the barrel
>>
>>31209126
I'd rather not. I want to handle this as little as possible before I get rid of it. I'm not a racist, and guns aren't for me.

The plan right now is to just hand it in to the police or cut it up with a rotary saw.
>>
>>31209175
nobody called you a racist... Are you implying that having a gun that was owned by southerners is racist?
>>
>>31209175
> not a racist

So your an idiot. Yeah you better get rid of that as soon as possible.

Before it murders you in your sleep.
>>
>>31209207
Fuck off. I don't have the patience to deal with white pieces of shit like you this late at night.

>>31209220
No, but statistics prove that people with guns are over a hundred times more likely to kill themselves. I don't want to die, and really, this thing is just icky. Nope. Not for me.
>>
>>31209255
OP... are you retarded?
I'm thinking this is a bait thread.
>>
>>31209175

>tfw i sat through this boring troll thread

fuck you man
>>
>>31209175
And that's where OP was confirmed to be baiting
>>
Well this thread went gay quick.
>>
Lay it in your lap and hack away with that rotary saw. Don't be afraid, rotary saws have a safety so they cant cut flesh.
>>
>>31209175
>guns are racist
What. So you're saying I'm racist for owning a firearm? What the hell kind of logic is that?
>>
>>31208684
Well, first of all, it's not a flintlock. It's a percussion cap rifle. Nice, for all that, though it could use a bit of cleaning.
>>
>>31209255
Get out nigger
>>
>>31209276
>>31209284
>>31209325
Sigh. I figured that I wouldn't get much help from actual fascists.

Your unwillingness to set aside your insane political beliefs just this once and help me proves the idea everyone else has of you right. I tried to be the bigger man here, but thanks for wasting my time.
>>
>>31209255
Idiot.

Depressed people are more likely to kill themselves. If you feel this describes you then by all means sell it asap.

But thinking that having a gun in the house somehow increases your chances of killing yourself is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.
>>
>>31209394

unto >>>/r/eddit/ to you faggot, this is a right winged site.
>>
>>31209394
Maybe you should keep it. On the slim chance you'll do the world a favor and off yourself.
>>
File: fishing pole.png (80KB, 500x501px) Image search: [Google]
fishing pole.png
80KB, 500x501px
>>31209394
>>31209255
>>31209175
This is some low quality bait.

Like insanely low.
>>
>>31209175
>>31209207
>>31209220
>>31209284
>>31209314
>>31209325

>Responding to Anonymous and not OP
>>
>>31209465
Op's friend was anon and he had the gun.

Follow the story
>>
This devolved into some shitposting pretty god damn quick.
>>
Newer production, worth like 100 tops
>>
>>31209175
Go for it. It's a knock off/replica of a mid 19th century hunting rifle. It takes at least half a minute to load. Hardly a baby killin salt weapon. I mean, you could probably sell it for a couple hundred dollars to someone who was interested, but whatever helps you sleep at night.
>>
>>31209394
Good, then fuck off.
Away with your shitposting.
>>
>>31209255
Suicide with this would be epic.
But you'd probably decide life was worth living by the time you got it loaded...
>>
File: IMG_20141111_151548_831.jpg (2MB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20141111_151548_831.jpg
2MB, 1836x3264px
>not recognizing CVA kit guns

Are you illiterate?
>>
This model rifle was the first gun I ever owned. I assembled it as a kit when I was 10 after my father gave it to me for Christmas. They're great guns, but they're common as fuck and only worth like $300.

Go ahead and fuck off with your bait thread, or give it to the police if that's what you want to do. Actually, cut it up and then give it to the cops, then they can arrest you for improperly destroying a firearm.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.