[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First Legal Purchase

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

Ok /k/, I just turned 18 and I'm considering buying my first gun. I already have a few but nothing special (.22 here, shitty 12 gauge there). I was thinking of either buying a 20inch 870 with a 7 shot tube or or start an ar 15 build. I have. Around $500 and live in a very gun friendly state. What should I do?
>>
>>31202225
If you have $500 I'd say start with a shotgun. You could get a decent shotgun for that money, compared to trying to scrap together parts for an AR. Plus, a pump action shotgun is one of the most versatile guns you'll ever own.

Some people here will tell you the 870 sucks, but I have no personal experience. It's worth researching if that's really the pump shotgun you want.
>>
21 to buy a stripped lower.
>>
>>31202225
Well modern 870s are largely trash. I'd get a Mossberg 590 or 590A1 with the 20" barrel and 8 shot tube if you really want another shotgun.

That being said an AR is far handier to have around for defensive purposes or plinking all day.

Beware "building" unless its strictly gonna be a hobbyist rifle. I'd strongly recommend you buy a quality upper and BCG from a reputable company like BCM and throw it on a cheap ass lower.

Lowers will also be the first thing to go of Hillary wins and panic buying begins so you may wanna take that into consideration.
>>
>>31202238
Thanks for the advice, I've always admired Remington as a company and my first rifle was a R700. However I'm still on the fence because if I decide on the ar, I plan to spend more over a longer period of time
>>
>>31202253
I was thinking a stag arms stripped lower and a vltor upper
>>
At this point I think I'll just buy the shotty and a lower
>>
>>31202238
My 870 express runs perfect after i swapped out the extractor for a $30 aftermarket one. Great budget shotgun.
>>
I have 3 870s a 20 and 2 12 gauges and they work fucking great. And it's fun as hell to differ between slugs and buck/birdshot. Only recommendation is get the one with 8 shot tube
>>
>>31202835
But did you buy them after Cerberus/Freedom group took over Remington?
>>
>>31202238
I've used 870s at work and have at a few jam up or fail to extract, although the guns get used by multiple people, some which don't know as much about guns as they should.
>>
>>31202253
>Beware "building" unless its strictly gonna be a hobbyist rifle.
Oh boy it's this meme again. No, your pony rollmark does not make your rifle more reliable than mine.
>>
>>31202225
Avoid Remington, chipped extractors and rust will plague you.

>>31202258
>I've always admired Remington as a company
Those days are over, they got bought out like 10 years ago and begun shitting the bed.
>>
>>31202248
>this meme
80% or private sale
>>
>>31202225
Buy a handgun, if your state's half as gun friendly as you say then private sales to 18 year olds are a-ok. There will invariably be no less than a dozen people selling glocks on your local armslist on any given day, so message them all and offer all the money you have. (530 is well within glock range)
>>
>>31202253
>Beware "building" unless its strictly gonna be a hobbyist rifle.
Stop posting.

>>31202304
Get a Mossberg, the 870 is genuinely awful these days.

590A1 is all metal, has an 8rd tube, top rail, thicker barrel, and even a bayonet lug.

If you're not 21, some places won't sell a stripped lower to you because it can build a pistol, a complete rifle lower should get around this if this happens.
>>
>>31202225
Pump shotguns are completely worthless.

Also you are 18, spend the money on literally anything else since you can't conceal carry yet.
>>
Buy the shotgun first. Breaking clays are way more fun than punching paper. AR's are ok but everyone should start with a shotgun
>>
>>31203509
>>31203510
wew
>>
>>31202225
500? you could shop around your local pawn shops and maybe a gun show or two and with luck you might be able to snag up a half decent rifle and pistol with that money.
>>
>>31203526
might be able to find a nice s&w revolver too, i've seen them go as low as that.
>>
>>31202225
If you have to buy a pump just go ahead and buy the cheapest available. They are literally all the same.

I recommend a maverick 88, it can be found for less than $200
>>
Marlin 30-30 for 300 new, yes or no?
>>
>>31202258
If you don't want a Rustington that shatters extractors then you'll pick up a Remington 870 Police.

The 870 Express made after 2006 is pure garbage because they attempt to sell it at a Chinese/Third World price even though it's made in New York.
>>
>>31203753
maybe, if you can inspect it in person i would go for it.
>>
>>31203753
Ask when it's made.

Marlin has been working with old worn out factory tooling for a long time and only very recently had it all replaced (on the behest of Remington, of all companies)
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.