[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could blowback revolvers ever be a thing?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 8

File: 1472347753130.jpg (398KB, 1706x1397px) Image search: [Google]
1472347753130.jpg
398KB, 1706x1397px
Could blowback revolvers ever be a thing?
>>
>>31201669
The point of a revolver is;

Less moving parts = more reliability

A blowback revolver is definitely feasible, but would be absolutely pointless to anyone who isn't cosplaying with it.
>>
Sure, why not? They won't attain widespread use, but they can, and have, been done.
>>
>>31201669
Yes
>>
>>31201673
>Less moving parts
You realize most revolvers actually have complicated clockwork mechanisms, right? Any modern revolver is going to be pretty damn far from simple.

A straight-blowback pistol is far simpler and more reliable.
>>
>>31201673
>The point of a revolver is;
Since when has that been the point of one?
Most places talking about the history of revolvers said the point was quicker follow up shots from the first one, ease of loading particular cartridge shapes and sizes.
Maybe a few other things I'm forgetting.
>>
File: Colt2.jpg (300KB, 750x476px) Image search: [Google]
Colt2.jpg
300KB, 750x476px
>>31201673
>less parts

Hahahaha. No.
>>
>>31201673
Noguns plz.
>>
File: image.jpg (11KB, 220x147px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
11KB, 220x147px
>>31201669
But, they already have been a thing.
>>
>>31201694
>revolvers
>faster follow up shots
Lolno

>>31201669
The biggest advantage to a revolver is that its not as susceptible to ammunition related failures blow back kind of defeats the purpose.
>>
>>31201708
/thread
>>
>>31201719
>>faster followup shots
>lolno
Compared to other pre-revolver guns you fucking braindead troglodyte. Do you honestly think revolvers and autoloaders were created at the same time?
>>
File: MatebaAutoRevolver6in.jpg (44KB, 696x419px) Image search: [Google]
MatebaAutoRevolver6in.jpg
44KB, 696x419px
>>31201669
yes Mateba model 6 unica
>>
>>31201673
Revolver reliability is based more on the gun being cycled by the user for each shot, making malfunctions do to feeding, ejecting, and ammo releted problems. They also enable you to fire more powerful ammunition than most automatics because they don't have reciprocating parts that will end up wearing faster.

>>31201682
>clockwork
This meme again. People have this idea in their heads that the parts on the other side of that sideplate are delicate little needle-thin unhardened pieces of steel. They're not. If you can understand how a 1911 works, you should be able to understand how a revolver works, and the same goes for disassembling and reassembling it.

I think the "clockwork" idea comes from the term "timing." Timing refers to the cylinder either not rotating far enough, or rotating too far when the cylinder rotates and is supposed to lock to have its round fired. Old designs from the black powder era get out of time most often, and sometimes it happens to modern revolvers, but it's not common in my experience. It's akin to having any other major parts failure like a broken firing pin or a locking lug shearing off. It doesn't happen often, but when it does it's pretty bad

>straight blowback
>trusting your life to cartridges underpowered enough for straight blowback
Anon, use 9mm or better, locked breech pistols are plenty reliable, and have better penetration and more reliable expansion with JHP's

>>31201700
A lot of those parts are things like the lanyard loop and front sight. If you can't wrap your head around what the trigger, hammer, sear, hand, cylinder stop, return spring, mainspring, extractor star, and ejeceor rod are doing, you're gonna have a hard time detail stripping a 1911 too.
>>
File: 1472835443396.gif (3MB, 700x285px) Image search: [Google]
1472835443396.gif
3MB, 700x285px
>>31202339
>>
>>31202339
You're a fucking idiot
>>
File: Hi-Point_Model_JHP_.45_ACP.jpg (47KB, 602x375px) Image search: [Google]
Hi-Point_Model_JHP_.45_ACP.jpg
47KB, 602x375px
>>31202339
>>straight blowback
>>trusting your life to cartridges underpowered enough for straight blowback

Yeah, .45 ACP is way underpowered guys.

>Anything but .50AE
>Any year
>>
>>31202363
How exactly am I an idiot? How many revolvers have you worked on?
>>
File: image.jpg (23KB, 500x343px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23KB, 500x343px
>>31202339
>Expansion and penetration of bullet is affected by the operating mechanism if the gun.
>>
>>31202380
You're an idiot because you completely missed the other Anons' arguments. Somebody said that revolvers have fewer parts than most automatic firearms. This is an untrue assumption, as many revolvers have more parts than the standard autoloading pistol, and as such, are at least as mechanically complex.

Also, there are straight blowbacks in cartridges above 9mm, faggot.
>>
>>31202374
>Hi-Point
>lower capacity
>heavy slide to hold the action closed
>still shit reliability unless you're using a C9

I mean if it's all you can afford, do what you've gotta do. There're better .45 ACP pistols onnthe market though.
>>
>>31202389
That's not what I said. The cartridges having a locking action enable you to use offer better penetration and expansion a. A locked action in .380 ACP or .32 ACP are still going to perform poorly, but 9×19, .40 S&W, .45 ACP all become much more practical, and a locked action even makes automagnums possible since the slide and recoil spring on a straight blowback .357 Magnum would have to have a huge amount of mass and spring pressure to hold the gun closed long enough for pressure to drop to a safe amount.

>>31202394
>Also, there are straight blowbacks in cartridges above 9mm, faggot.
Yeah, things like Hi-Points and Ravens. Not exactly guns I'd trust my life to if I had other options. Unless you're getting into SMG's and pistol caliber carbines, go with a Browning style tilting barrel action, it just works.
>>
>>31202432
The Makarov series of pistols is straight blowback. I'd trust my life with one.
>>
>>31202459
9×18 is pretty underpowered, Anon. I like my Mak, and I'm not saying it's incapable of stopping an attacker, but the cartridge isn't that great.

I own three straight blowbacks. They're pleasant to shoot, and aside from normal wear and tear issues like worn recoil springs, they are reliable, but the action is limited in what it can handle.
>>
>>31202017
He might be trying to imply double action revolvers are slower to fire than semi-autos, if it were single action revolver vs single action semi he might have a point although there are people that defy belief in being fast with a manual single action.
>>
Based Ian's got you covered fampai

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va6KHE0jEFc
>>
>>31201673
>Less moving parts
pls
>>31201669
Yes, but it would be problematic.
Blowback (even delayed) is probably the worst action for high powered semi-auto handgun.
Additionally it means that revolver now has a fat breechblock (without any way to lock it) which is unnecessary.
Realistically speaking best action for a semi-auto revolver is recoil operated (way it was done irl), optionally gas operated.
>>31201708
>>31202153
>>31202543
Recoil operated.
>>
>>31201708
I came here to post this or the mateba
>>
>>31201673
>revolver
>Less moving parts
Confirmed for doesn't know shit about revolvers.

>more reliability
Revolvers are easier to keep shooting with in the event of ammunition failure but modern quality ammunition makes this a dramatically reduced consideration.
>>
>>31202380
>How many revolvers have you worked on?
>fewer moving parts

More than you apparently.
>>
>>31205076
When did I say they have fewer moving parts? I'm not >>31201673
>>
File: image.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2MB, 500x281px
>>31201669
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.