[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bren vs Spandau - which was better?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7

File: biegeman1.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
biegeman1.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
So which one was better /k/?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXQygRVvEmM
>>
>>31201350
Mg-34 and Mg42. Massively superior volume of fire.
>>
>I don´t like Spandau.
>>
MG42 for sure.
As an aside, hes kind of shooting himself in the foot. I used to like Lindy but since he started these noguns shitposting videos, I question the credibility of all his other videos. The "spandau" and shooting to kill stuff might have gotten him a lot of one time clicks, but I don't really follow him anymore and I know I'm not the only one.
>>
>>31201425
Lindy has always been a bit full of shit, to be honest.
>>
>>31201359
kek
>>
>>31201425
>Giving a shit about his guns content
You're doing it wrong.
>>
>>31201350
Lindy is awesome. He just doesn't know quite as much about guns and modern warfare as he does about the ancient world.
>>
mg42 if you have to pick one

both if you can.

the mg42 is really a bit too cumbersome for a squad, but it can serve in a pinch.
>>
>SPANDAU
fuckoff lindyfag
>>
>>31201440
yeah.
He does do research and such, which can't be said for 99% of people on youtube but he's still some guy in his living room making up wild theories based off his larp experience at the end of the day.
>>
He should stick to swords
>>
>>31201532
>>31201663
Are you kidding?

He does not know anything about pre firearms stuff either. The idiot tried to claim pike units never actually engaged each other.
>>
>>31201667
>The idiot tried to claim pike units never actually engaged each other.
Are you sure? I distinctly remember him talking about pikes locking together and two sides having a pushing match. Or maybe that was one of the other history youtubers.
>>
File: beigeman.jpg (131KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
beigeman.jpg
131KB, 1920x1080px
>>31201667
>>31201677

Some of his other wild theories and ideas:

>no one used swords, axes
>no one used horses
>no one used throwing knives
>no one used scythes
>no one used mail coifs
>no one used torches
>no one spoke French during the French revolution
>no one spoke Latin during the Roman Republic
>battle of Zama didn't happen
>romans carried one pilum
>vikings weren't real
>berserkers weren't real
>castles were defended by three soldiers
>butted mail is better than riveted mail
>>
>>31201677
I think he was talking about how pike and shot era pike engagements never happened because a re-enactor told him that they lift their pikes because everyone would just die.
>>
File: Bad-war.jpg (1MB, 1409x920px) Image search: [Google]
Bad-war.jpg
1MB, 1409x920px
>>31201677
He thought that because re-enactors lift their pikes to avoid gutting each other real pike formations would not use the pointy ends and just shove each other.

They had a word for this back in the day, it was called 'Bad War' because it was an awful meatgrinder.
>>
File: 1387883269063.jpg (155KB, 654x920px) Image search: [Google]
1387883269063.jpg
155KB, 654x920px
>>31201739
Must have been another person then. I specifically remember him talking about how pikes would not have been able to pierce the plate armor worn by troops and how the fighting in general was terribly inefficient without the not-pikemen fighting at the front.
>>
>>31201717
To be fair, he wasn't wrong about castles. They could and often were able to be defended with just a skeleton crew for an extended period of time.
>>
File: raasepori.jpg (405KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
raasepori.jpg
405KB, 2560x1440px
>>31201820
Just a bit more than 3-5 though, which I hear is what he claimed. That would be the peacetime garrison, whilst the wartime would be a some dozens at minimum, from what I've understood, but that few dozen could very well hold a castle for a long time against a numerically superior besieger.
Depending on supplies and the castle's build, of course.
>>
>you will never watch a melee that includes Lindy, Matt Easton and Skallagrim.
>>
>>31201848
Good, that sounds too autistic even for me. Lose Skallagrim and we can talk.
>>
Why are there always glasses on the wall? Why does he always wear the same shirt under his sweaters?
>>
>>31201777
Common soldiers in the pike and shot era only had a breastplate and helmet with some upper thigh protection which would be effectively impossible to penetrate with a pike. Their neck, face and arms were all very likely to be stabbed with all the pike points waving around though.
>>
>>31201717
literally all of those are correct though....
>>
>>31201901
>Why are there always glasses on the wall?
clearly some kind of art/decoration
>Why does he always wear the same shirt under his sweaters?
because he likes that style shirt? It's not like he has only a single shirt
>>
>>31202016
Trolling works better if its less obvious, better luck next time.
>>
scholagladiatoria is better
>>
File: 1403540599883.jpg (106KB, 526x870px) Image search: [Google]
1403540599883.jpg
106KB, 526x870px
>>31202003
Yes, but from what I've understood, the actual poking with pikes would quickly dissolve into something more chaotic as the pike walls get tangled, men are penetrated and soldiers on both side seek to get past the pikes to butcher anyone on the other side.
>>
>>31202003
>>31202087
Related is a very nice filmatization of such a battle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMEnBHef96c
>>
>>31201901
He buys normal shirts, then cuts the neck and beiges them in the washer

What a sperglord
>>
>>31201440
>Lindy has always been a bit full of shit, to be honest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__mH8Xa7Sto

This is the first video I saw from him (about 5 years back) and pretty much everything in it is completely fucking retarded. He's criticizing a style of shield that has a grip consisting of a forearm strap in the center and a handle on the rim (properly called an "Argive grip", but he doesn't seem to fucking know that), and he decides the reason the Greeks used it was because it was SO BAD at fighting 1 v 1 that it forced them to fight in groups.

...But people used that style of shield in duels ALL THE FUCKING TIME, even people in societies that had center-grip shields. The fucking Spanish used them right up until the year 1600 or so. Here's a video of people sparring with them; note that they don't use their shields at all like Lindy thinks you should (because everything he says about fighting with a shield is fucking nonsense)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0f1zW1EA1Q
>>
>>31201820
>>31201844
He merely referenced a siege involving only a few people led by the Lord's wife and pointed out that the fewer people means the less mouths to feed. Forts enable a smaller force to withstand a larger army. He said if you had the numerical advantage you would go out and just defeat the foe rather than withstand a seige
>>
>>31202201
>(cont)

A few more problems with Lindy's shield video:

1) You would NEVER drop your shield to protect against a strike at your lower legs. No matter what kind of grip your shield has, doing so is going to expose your upper body. Besides, your legs are farther away from your opponent so they're harder for him to reach - just step back out of range or threaten high or something.

2) You NEVER fight with a shield by holding it face-on, unless you're using a buckler. This is literally the most basic fucking point about fighting with large shields. You point the forward edge of your shield at your opponent's left shoulder (if right-handed) or left shoulder (if left handed). This allows you to easily angle your shield to protect your entire body while making it difficult for your opponent to knock it aside. This video (ironically about using a center-grip viking shield) should make it clear, while also demonstrating a weakness of the center-grip style Lindy doesn't mention (it's easy for an opponent to control your shield):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkhpqAGdZPc

3) You bash with the edge of the shield, not the boss: you can put more force behind it, it has more range and it hurts more. Trying to "shove" someone with a center-grip shield like Lindy demonstrates is fucking moronic - you're giving your opponent a huge advantage in leverage over your own shield in exchange for a "punch" that Ray Charles could see coming. Argive grip shields are better at bashing with the edge than center-grip shields because the shield is strapped to your arm and immobile - it's essentially a giant knuckle-duster.

All of this aside; the actual main reason the Greeks liked the Hoplite shield was that it was better at defending against missile weapons - you strap the shield to your arm and suddenly you're less likely to drop it when a fucking javelin hits it. Lindy doesn't even think of this because all of his experience is from fucking LARPing.
>>
>>31202201

Whoops, that second video should have been this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_qmNgFp8Kg
>>
>>31201717
>I haven't actually watched any of his videos, just read /k/ shitposts complaining about them

That or you're intentionally being stupidly fucking obtuse about what he's saying in them.

Like how do you get from "Vikings were not like you see them in the movies" (which is what his video says) to "They didn't exist?" That's less of a leap in logic than an international flight.
>>
An interesting video but he seems pretty unaware that the MG34 and I'm pretty sure the '42 is perfectly capable of firing single rounds. The formers trigger assembly is actually fairly unique it's ingenious design to accommodate this. The only reason the Bren is better for walking fire is it's slow rate of fire.

>>31201848
Well it wouldn't last very long. Easton is a fantastic fencer especially with Saber and the only one that currently regularly trains assuming Skall is still injured.
>>
>>31202033
Well it looks like literally the same shirt
>>
>>31202234
>2) You NEVER fight with a shield by holding it face-on, unless you're using a buckler.
b-but 800's shield walls
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.