[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bigger Bullets

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: two_bullets.jpg (25KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
two_bullets.jpg
25KB, 640x427px
Without igniting a holy caliber war, why has 6.5x39 not achieved anything approaching the same market coverage as 6.8x43?

When I look for 6.8 manufacturers, I find multiple name brands like LWRC, Stag, Rock River, Barrett, and LMT. In contrast, 6.5 has Alexander Arms and... Les Baer?

For higher end hunting/match bullets, I find more bullets explicitly designed for the 6.8 from Federal (3), Hornady (4), and even Barnes has a TSX designed for the 6.8. When I go looking for 6.5, I find Federal (1, and AE at that), Hornady (2), and I don't think Barnes makes any bullets explicitly for 6.8.

As far as I can tell, both bullets have roughly the same momentum/KE from similar barrel lengths inside of average hunting ranges, with the 6.5 starting to shine for target shooting past that. With that in mind why hasn't the 6.5 caught on so more with most rifle and bullet manufacturers?
>>
Because a majority of NATO forces still uses 5.56.
>>
>>31197351
>why hasn't the 6.5 caught on so more with most rifle and bullet manufacturers
Aftermarket, knowldge of such a round existing, popularity, marketing, etc. At the same time, designing magazines and lowers for it as well as parts.
>>
Alex was a dick and made the specs proprietary for like 6 years. It's open now but the damage has much been done.
>>
My first AR was 6.8 and i like it alot. 6.5 was a bitch to get a hold of 3 or so years ago and 6.8 wasn't much better but i wanted something with a little more thump than 556. Also i believe 6.8 was /is used by some countries military /spec ops.
>>
>>31197351
6.8 had a solid amount of traction as a hunting round, and it was heavily touted by DocGKR who spoke about its terminal effectiveness to a lot of LEO organizations which created a lot of interest in it.

6.5 Grendel carried the Bill Alexander curse like everything else he touched.
>>
>>31197811
>Alex

You mean Bill Alexander. He wasn't a dick, he kept or proprietary while he worked his ass off to get it properly sorted out and SAAMI spec'd to prevent people from fucking up the design, which they did anyway, which is responsible for a lot of finicky ass guns, shittu accuracy and breakage horror stories

There is only one real 6.5 spec and very few manufacturers that use it. He's the reason there is 6.5G steel case and carpenter bolts and mags that aren't shit.

You want a dick cartridge then look at the failure of 7.62x40wt
>>
>>31199207
>7.62x40

Isn't that essentially .300 Blackout?
>>
>>31199207
Bill Alexander is a habitual thief and circus promoter with a history of promising the moon and under delivering. That steel case 6.5 Grendel you're talking about, took half a fucking decade to reach the market after it was "coming soon."

>>31199250
.300BLK is essentially .300Whisper under a different name. Primary changes were a lengthened shoulder in the chamber spec, and 5k psi higher pmax.

As such it lacks the case capacity to have parity with super sonic 7.62x39 loads. At first AAC marketing was hyping up their cartridge, publishing crazy unreachable velocities/muzzle energies, but they ended up revising all of them and removing them from the site. They did tons of sketchy and deceptive bullshit to promote the cartridge when it was new.
7.62x40WT was created to have an AR compatible cartridge that actually could match super sonic 7.62x39 in bullet weight and muzzle velocity, while also having the same potential for subsonic loads.
By every possible metric it is a superior design, it just didn't have the same marketing push behind it.
>>
>>31199207

So by this, I take it I should be looking at an Alexander Arms upper if I want to shoot 6.5x39?
>>
>>31197351
Isn't 6.5x39 only used in New Zealand for hunting?

I'm pretty sure no one in the United States shoots 6.5x39. And I even own a Grendel
>>
>>31201422

Just the metric designation, as far as I can tell.
>>
>>31199357
And yet the steel case is here.

>By every possible metric it is a superior design, it just didn't have the same marketing push behind it.

It has velocity going for it. What it doesn't have is length to fit heavy bullets or magazines that don't require modification to work.

>>31199905
That's the easiest way, especially for the mags. AA outsources the mags to another company that market them in their own as well BUT the ones AA sells have been thoroughly inspected to match the design specs for 6.5g. There are a few other companies that build good 6.5 rifles as well, just avoid anything that advertised as an "improved" design.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.