[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gyrojet

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: 300px-Gyrogroup.jpg (13KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
300px-Gyrogroup.jpg
13KB, 300x225px
Why did pic related fail and what can we do to make it better?

Pros
>large high speed projectiles with low recoil
>low weight guns needed to handle relatively small pressure
>generally higher ammo capacity
>possible to make specialized rounds
>shoots missiles instead of bullets
>is way cooler than whatever gun you're holding
>>
>>31183803
>non-removable magazine
>projectile that is not most effective at very short range
>13mm more difficult for civilian acquisition

I'd say these are the biggest factors. Feel free to debate me, but the thing killed itself
>
>>
>>31183826
The concept is so cool though. Bullets that accelerate until impact? Can weigh arguably half of a traditional gun in the same caliber? Simpler mechanics in the gun means less prone to failure as well. Can't get a FTE if there's nothing to E.
>>
How hard do you think it would be to revive and modernize the concept? There could be some use yet left in the Gyrojet.
>>
>>31183892
>Bullets that accelerate until impact?
Well that's not exactly true; they accelerate until their propellant runs out, which may or may not be prior to impact. A lot of potentially wasted potential in each shot (and no velocity gain from it then either).

Why not a gyrojet/regular round combo?
>>
>>31183803
>Why did pic related fail and what can we do to make it better?

Nothing. Gyrojet is cool as hell, but it's an answer without a question; there is nothing that a rocket bullet can do that a normal bullet can't.
>>
>>31184105
You could make the missile highly frangible so that if it contacts before it expends the propellant it fractures into tiny pieces, spewing hot lead and quickly burning accelerant all over the wound cavity.

I bet the trauma of impact would break apart the accelerant enough that it would have a small explosion.

Hitting too soon could be a good thing.
>>
>>31184271
Except have the same firepower but be less heavy and hold more rounds than other guns.

I want to try to build a gyro round and test fire it at something.
>>
>>31183803
perhaps a conventional chemical propellant is used to shoot it out of the barrel where it then activates its own rocket motors
>>
>>31183803
Failures:
>Ammo doesn't keep as long.
>Ammo is more difficult to produce.
>Ammo is substantially more expensive.
>Rounds in flight had stability problems.
Fixes:
Improve the lifespan of the propellant.
Add some kind of stabilizing fins that can survive leaving the barrel.
The other two issues can't really be fixed, a gyrojet round will always cost more than a more conventional one.
>>
>>31183826
>implying you couldn't alter the gun to accept box mags
>implying getting hit "short" with it and then having accelerant burn your insides is ok
>implying that if the idea were popularized there wouldn't be more readily available ammo in different calibers.
>>
File: 1471845247789.jpg (187KB, 704x821px) Image search: [Google]
1471845247789.jpg
187KB, 704x821px
>>31183803
Cons
>extremely slow at the start, making it inadequate for CQC
>expensive specialty ammo when much more efficient ammo is laying about
>we already have specialized rounds
>bullets are missiles
>it looks like a toy gun
>>
>>31183803
IIRC, a big problem with gyrojets was that the muzzle velocity for the round started out so slow, you could block it coming out with your hand.

Because it was rocket propelled, it had to build up in momentum before achieving adequate velocity.

That's a big flaw. With a regular bullet you get all your inertia at once.
>>
>>31186089
Hybrid rounds?
>>
>>31186089
It was a .45 acp at barrel for the rifle. Pistol you could pull it off in the sense your hand is still attached to your wrist.

Simple test, somebody with the rounds please sacrifice your fapping arm to settle this.
>>
>>31186089
That's fuddlore based on people like chuck Norris catching old as shit gyroget rounds by hand. Factory new ammo was traveling over 600fps by the muzzle of the firearm.

>>31183803
>Why did it fail
Those fucking faggots at the ATF
>Original projectile was larger than. 5 and NFA
>Retool
>Round stabilizes after like ~6" of barrel but forced to give it 16" rifle barrel on carbines by the fucking ATF
>Retool
>Barrels not rifled because it doesn't need it
>das a NFA weapon
>Retool
>Superficial rifling added to barrel
>Make some guns before going out of business from low market demand and compounded manufacturing costs

The big thing would be gyrogets with shaped explosive loads. A rifle with a 20 round box magazine that will send a gout of molten copper right through a rifle plate.
>>
>>31184105
>varying size caseless kicker-charge gyrojet for assault rifles/pdw/smgs/pistols.
>jam a gyrojet sorta thing into your precision/sniper rifle cartridges to reach out a bit further.
I know exactly why i have this boner.jpeg
>>
>>31184105
That's the best thing though, if they hit you before the propellant runs out, that's not a lot of wasted potential, that's it hitting the target and burrowing further into it as the propellant continues to burn. Magnificent.
>>
Does anyone know a good recipe for propellant strong enough to move a small piece of lead fast enough to kill a 200lb two legged animal?

Just asking because I'm curious and definitely not the ATF.
>>
>>31186863

>A rifle with a 20 round box magazine that will send a gout of molten copper right through a rifle plate.

This. Demand for Gyrojet guns restored.
>>
>>31183826
IIRC, the 13mm gyrojet stuff has an exception and isn't considered a "destructive device".
>>
I always felt like a large gyrojet style round with laser guidance could make for a pretty nasty extreme range rifle.
>>
>>31189832
This.

Also, mass producing rounds wouldn't be too much harder than making cartridges.

>I think it would even be easier

Get a cylinder of lead. Drill a hole into it partway hollow it out. Thread the inside of the hole so that it accepts a plug. Shape the nose if you want. Put propellant in. Make a threaded plug. Drill appropriate holes in threaded plug to direct thrust and accept a primer. Screw it in. Done.
>>
>>31191615
I think the propellent is the issue. It's more complex and and expensive then powder
>>
>>31192024
It's just a single grain of powder.
The problem is balance. The case has to be perfect and the nozzles need to be as well. The round is stabilized through spinning from the angled nozzles so even a slight difference in size or angle will kill accuracy.
>>
File: hickok45.jpg (244KB, 1200x1188px) Image search: [Google]
hickok45.jpg
244KB, 1200x1188px
>>31186863
High capacity, low recoil XM25 Airburst Gyrojets
>>
>>31192084
It wouldn't be overly difficult to make perfectly. We've been drilling holes into metal at high tolerance specifications for a while now. A factory could easily mass produce high quality metal parts all day long.
>>
>>31193141
The size of the explosive charge would make it pretty pointless, no?
>>
>>31183803
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e23o0NIHtFw
>>
>>31193801
That's why shaped charges. A 1" diameter shaped explosive with a copper core can penetrate theoretically up to 3" of steel if engineered perfectly. Realistically it would be enough to send a gout of molten copper and a solid penetrator right through a conventional steel or ceramic rifle plate.

Body armor would have to start having offset netting like an mrap/tank to stop them, which would be ungainly and unrealistic. Shit like this, and other cold war era pet projects regarding AP smallarms, would spell the death of the modern IOTV style body armor system and its Russian federation hominid that's barely fielded.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.