[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

10/22

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

File: top.jpg (106KB, 1400x425px) Image search: [Google]
top.jpg
106KB, 1400x425px
Okay guys, I've finally decided to buy a 10/22 as my first gun. This is set in stone. I'm going to be using it for learning and plinking. Now I want to know:

What accessories to buy?
Ammo?
Scope/sights?
Spare parts?
Where should I buy it? Closest chains are Dick's and Gander Mountain, plus there are some LGSs nearby. I live in Northern Virginia if that helps. I'm setting my max budget for everything at $750.
>>
>>31178710

You should buy a 10/22, a boatload of magazines and ammo, and some of these:

http://www.tech-sights.com/ruger-products/

You need nothing else.
>>
>>31178721
Follow this chodes instruction
mags, gun food, and those sights
You can upgrade down the line once you can shoot with a stock rifle
>>
>>31178721
this and a gi sling will get you pretty much set for a while.

we're telling you to build a liberty training rifle in other words.
>>
>>31178721
>tech sights

came here to post this. Make sure to get butler creeks with steel feed lips specifically if you decide to buy some.
>>
>>31178721
Should I buy a case? If so, hard or soft?
>>
>>31178791
Just a cheap soft range bag would be fine
>>
>>31178710
Cheap Bipod
Cheap Sling

Went with a Harris like bipod on Amazon, only paid $20.
>>
>>31178721
there's also the NoDak Spud NDS-13 rear sight with NDS-40 front sight.

options are never a bad thing.
>>
Recently got one, it's mag was out of spec, which was odd because it fed fine for ~400 rounds
>>
I've been using BX25 mags and GECO .22 lately, though the 10/22 seems to cycle bulk pack garbage ammo just fine too. If you spring for a takedown model it will even include a sling and a decent soft case, though the Tech Sights are still a very good idea.
>>
>>31178869
Would there be a specific reason to go for the takedown model over the carbine?
>>
>>31178892
no, just an added feature if you want to spend the moneys
>>
>>31178781
ive heard the standard ruger bx-25s are really good as well
>>
>>31178892
>>31178869

the takedown model is neat if you want to take it on hiking trips etc a LOT, but keep in mind that if you get it, you've cut yourself out of the massive aftermarket for the 10/22. be honest with yourself, you never know when you want to put some ridiculous tacticool archangel stock on the motherfucker.
>>
File: 1432876590347.png (310KB, 721x598px) Image search: [Google]
1432876590347.png
310KB, 721x598px
>tfw a 10/22 wasn't your first gun because you got into shooting back in 2014 where reasonably priced .22lr wasn't a thing

Now that I own an ak74, I really cannot justify buying a 10/22.
>>
>>31178965
yes you can. your ak74 costs four times as much to shoot
>>
>>31178965
Eh, I'm getting into this even though we still have rolling .22 shortages where I am. I'll figure it out somehow, I just need something to practice with.
>>
>>31178710
I spent way to much fucking money on my 10/22, got sick of having an endless money pit and sold it. Mine loved Butler Creek Steel Lips mags, 10 and 25 rounders. I would solemnly urge not to get those Archangel 25 round pieces of shit, I did when I set it up in one of those Archangel Nomad stocks, and they were fucking brutal. Two of them and both were glorified paperweights. I also grew to really like the Tapco 10/22 tactical stock, it was a really comfy and simple stock, although the grip may not be for everyone.

After selling that 10/22 I was glad to be rid of the damn thing because every once in a while I wanted to change it. Then, I bought another fucking 10/22 against my better judgement. This one has that M1 Carbine stock and sights that you Americans can get, my experience with the sights so far would make me urge you to follow the other Anons' advice and get a set of tech sights, or at least a scope or red dot, the sights that come on the rifle suck in my opinion.
>>
>>31178710
Hey OP...I've owned 10/22 ' s for many years...you can't go wrong. For a first gun...you couldn't do much better...only things I'd suggest are the bx trigger as the 10/22 is notorious for its awful trigger...after that...ammo and magazines. That's it...if you're eyes suck consider a decent scope. Have fun!
>>
File: ruger1022.jpg (79KB, 395x971px) Image search: [Google]
ruger1022.jpg
79KB, 395x971px
>>31178710
Pick up an extended mag release and auto release bolt catch right off the bat. These are going to vastly increase your shooting experience.

Hogue makes a decent stock, the one you get is pretty meh tier if you get the stock nylon-the cheapest. Honestly you're probably going to replace the stock at some point.

Green Mountain makes nice barrels, but you really don't need to worry about that unless you're really trying to push your gun. Also just about any bull barrel you get is going to make it front heavy as fuck.

If you want an optic Nikon's Prostaff Rimfire line great. It's about $130 is probably the best value you'll find. Otherwise get some tech sites to learn with.

While I'm at it, does anybody have some stock suggestions that puts the receiver further forward than the Hogue stocks? I'm having problems getting a proper sight picture because my scope is mounted to close to my face.
>>
>>31178710
Take my advice as you will op...all I can say as a long time shooter is keep it simple...KEEP IT SIMPLE!...forget about all the fancy tacticool bs and focus on the fundamentals...sight picture, trigger squeeze, breathing...you don't have to spend big money to learn to be a good shot.
>>
Just stay away from non ruger magazines. If ya want high capacity get the Ruger 25s. They work great.
>>
I'm also a newfag in guns and don't want to open a new thread for a semi-related question.
Are original sights on my ruger mini 14 good enough or should I upgrade them ?
They seem ok for me but I don't like having to use an allen key to adjust them
>>
File: Plano rifle case.jpg (18KB, 700x349px) Image search: [Google]
Plano rifle case.jpg
18KB, 700x349px
>>31178791
"Plano Single Scoped or Double Non-Scoped Rifle Case", the hard rifle case everyone owns. You should be able to find it at dicks/big5/cabelas so don't buy it online and waste money on shipping.
>>
I'm from northern Virginia, Nova firearms by tysons corner is very friendly and helpful. Could try there, I got my glock from them and plan on going back for maybe an AR.
>>
Tsr100 or 200 sight?
>>
>>31179041
I never understood the issue people had with the bolt release. I never use the fucking thing anyway, its not like theres last round hold open. am i like the one person on earth that just inserts a new magazine and then cycles the bolt?
>>
>>31180664
Seems pretty ridiculous asking if something you already have is good enough, doesn't it?
>>
I just got my first gun like a month ago too, it was also a 10/22. I overpaid at the LGS because I'm a dumbass, but whatever. I suck at shooting and my eyesight is poor at best anyway so I found it really difficult to use the irons, so I bought a $40 dollar scope. Haven't used it yet.

By the way I've only been a gun owner for a month and I've already spent over $2000 on that gun, an SKS, parts for an AR, ammo, cleaning kits, snap caps, bunch of other shit, gun storage socks, etc. I'm going down a dangerous road here.

Also I wish I knew how to properly sight in irons on my SKS when I can't even see what the fuck I'm shooting because I'm blind as a bat even with glasses. But now I'm changing the subject.
>>
>>31180992
The one over in McLean? I'm from the southern part of the county, so I don't like having to go up there, but if it's worth checking out, I will.
>>
>>31178710
alright OP, my 10/22 is my current project gun. Here's what you need.

Sling
>any sling for a standard model
>1 point sling for a takedown model, unless you want to use your ruger as nunchuks.

automatic bolt release. buy it on amazon. cost me like $12 so no excuses. makes the gun operate like every other normal rifle in the world.

BX-25 magazines. They're good. Buy them. stay away from every other brand. They suck.

Possibly some after market irons. the stock ones are weird. if your gun comes with a rail, consider getting a 22lr scope. they run between $40 and $200.

Keep in mind the takedown models come with a sweet case already. Make sure your dealer provides it when you purchase it. If you wish to suppress it, find a model that comes with a threaded barrel.
>>
File: rugm1ca[1].jpg (29KB, 800x269px) Image search: [Google]
rugm1ca[1].jpg
29KB, 800x269px
Is it faggy to make a "dressup kit" for a 10/22?

I have access to a 3D printer and I'm pretty sure I can make some kind of a "dressup kit" for one.
>>
>>31178710
Hey kid, wanna turn you $200 10/22 into a thousand dollar money sink?
Head over to rimfire centrals forums.

In all honesty.
Look at the magpul X-22 hunter or Titan stocks.
>>
>>31187349
Its not faggy so long as you don't pretend its the real thing
>>
>>31187321
forgot to mention a better extractor. I've heard that the stock one can chip away at it's tooth and cause reliability issues.
>>
>>31178710
>I've finally decided to buy a 10/22 as my first gun
solid.
buy some bx25s, not that hot lip shit
personally i like the 10/22 sights but most dont so they may not be for you but you like them or at least dont mind them get a set of see through rings when you get a scope. plinking with irons is always fun
>>
So a barebones 10/22 costs about $300 syrup bucks, around $230 USD. Remington 597's can be found for even less. Which of these is the better performer 'as-is' without expensive upgrades?
>>
>>31178710
oh and no faggy tacticool folding stock shit. you'll regret it.
>>
Just moved to charlottesville and don't know anyone at all. If you're looking for a plinking pal let me know.
>>
File: 033-p90-11[1].jpg (33KB, 450x203px) Image search: [Google]
033-p90-11[1].jpg
33KB, 450x203px
>>31187349
Is it legal to make a kit which encloses the receiver?

Would it be OK to duplicate the gun's serial number on the outside?
>>
>>31187716
as long as the serial number is not covered up and is visible
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.