[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ruger mini 14 vs ar15?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6

File: top.jpg (84KB, 1400x425px) Image search: [Google]
top.jpg
84KB, 1400x425px
Im currently nogunz(but have alot of shooting time with various funz) but Im looking to buy a decent 5.56 rifle(in Commifornia btw) So I really only have one question:
Ruger or AR? I see the rugers are cheaper and i really like the action, so anyone have any advice about which I should buy?
>>
>>31173826
AR15 if you're a nogunz. It's the one "baseline" semi auto rifle in this day and age that you should own at least one of and learn to shoot so you can make a good comparison with any other rifle you will ever shoot.
>>
>>31173826
ar15 market should be cheap but since were so close to election don't know how the market currently is.

Its weird to see Ak and Ars do a reversal.

AR15s are so cheap now a days. Markets saturated. Again elections may have raised prices lessened availability
>>
Get a Ares SCR
>>
>>31173846
I see your point but Im not very familiar with ar style guns, I have alot of trigger time with sporter stock rifles though, so I dont know
>>
>>31173826
Buy a mini-14.
ARs are kinda hard to build without education on em, and it'll look like an abomination if you want to make it CA-compliant.
>>
>>31173970
true, yeah but anyone know a good place to get one where I wont get ripped the fuck off for it?
>>
Anywhere that isn't an AWB state, I'd say AR. In Faggofornia, I say Mini-14. Now you have to decide on caliber.
>>
File: hildern.jpg (69KB, 768x628px) Image search: [Google]
hildern.jpg
69KB, 768x628px
>>31173826
I have several points to consider

>your in commiefornia
>a commie build AR looks a shit
>internally it is no different
>it already has an internal mag, while maintaining aesthetic
>they are of a very nice build
>if you make a Commie AR cheap you have to build it yourself, which takes skill(minimal, but still)
>Ruger is very reputable when it comes to the Mini-14
>they pack some good durability if you need a innawoods rifle, an area your butchered AR would lack
>if you really have the urge to butcher something, Mini-14 has some god awful mods available(especially if you want a bullpup)

I think what I want to say here is GET THE MINI-14
>>
Mini14 can be more AESTHETIC, but yeah
>>
File: 13531408311970.jpg (237KB, 1670x1743px) Image search: [Google]
13531408311970.jpg
237KB, 1670x1743px
>Mini-14s are cheaper than ARs
>>
>>31173879
the ar pattern is super easy to learn, don't worry about that man
>>
The Mini 14 is an inherently inferior rifle, because the AR is by far the most modular platform. You can build a rifle the way you like it, but the Mini 14 is what it is (overpriced, awkwardly weighted, gay as fuck) and essentially is only popular in states where the AR is explicitly banned
>>
>>31174136
Thanks man, I really think Ima go for the Ruger, and yeah innawoods is kinda my whole trend here
thanks to everyone for the advice.
/k/ has never failed me
>>
>>31173970
>>31174017
Not true at all. It's easy as fuck, just follow a tutorial on youtube.

Get a cheap AR by buying an upper kit from PSA, then a lower from wherever you want.
>>
Where are you in commiefornia?
>>
>>31173826
Not even a contest. The AR-15 is superior in every way.
>>
>>31174301
>and yeah innawoods is kinda my whole trend here

In that case you deserve the mini-14. Don't forget your camo facepaint compact.
>>
How does a Cali AR look any different then other states??
>>
>>31174301
>/k/ has never failed me
You don't come here a lot, do you?

But seriously, your welcome. Get it in wood to start, if you don't like it it is easier to go from wood to synthetic then it is synthetic to wood.
>>
>>31174136
This is wrong on so many levels.

>a commie build AR looks a shit
You don't have to build it like that, you can get an ARES SCR lower.

>they pack some good durability if you need a innawoods rifle, an area your butchered AR would lack
Top open action disproves this.

>Ruger is very reputable when it comes to the Mini-14
Reputable for not being as accurate as an AR. And no, the new versions aren't as accurate, leaps and bounds ahead of the old, but not like an AR.

>>31174301
Cali AR owner here, get an AR.
>>
>>31175150
>Reputable for not being as accurate as an AR. And no, the new versions aren't as accurate, leaps and bounds ahead of the old, but not like an AR.

Depends on what you compare it to.
New Mini shoots about 3-4 MOA, something like an M&P-15 shoots 3-4 MOA, both can go down to like 2 MOA with Match ammo.

Of course, a much nicer AR-15 can of course shoot even smaller groups, but likewise, the Mini-14 Target can shoot sub-MOA groups when tuned right.
>>
>>31175364
Cite sources now.

You're blurring the lines of comparison. If you're saying a new mini shoots the same as an M&P-15 then why is the 15 generally 100-150 dollars less?

Why are built ARs potentially even cheaper for the same parts?

In terms of cost for performance, the AR completely obliterates the Mini-14, I'm sorry, I have no allegiance to firearms or manufacturers, but the choice is clear.

The action is more reliable, and accurate, by default.
>>
>>31175150
>You don't have to build it like that, you can get an ARES SCR lower
Implying that an SCR doesn't look like shit

>Top open action disproves this
For general usage it would be more durable externally, and for the internals you would have to be blatantly abusing it for any of that to matter

>Reputable for not being as accurate as an AR
What is speaking of general build quality?

And even then, we are nearly one guy NDing into his neighbors house to getting it banned by name.

t. Californian mini-14 owner
>>
>>31173826
If I was in cali I would probably go for a troy par. I don't know what the laws are in cali but maybe if it is a pump you can get standard capacity mags for it
>>
They need to modify hat fun to take ar15 mags, come with a flat top pic rail, and an under folder and side folder stock version. Honestly I would buy one as a truck gun
>>
>>31175413
http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar191.htm

http://gunsmagazine.com/the-marvelous-mini-14/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UVVEF6Wt6Q

>why is the 15 generally 100-150 dollars less?
Because the huge economy of scale for the AR-15, there's so many companies and people making all the parts and complete guns. The Mini-14 is also kind of an expensive design inherently.

There was a time when the AR-15 was a much more expensive rifle though, back when Colt still had dibs on the design, they charged a bunch for it, they knew what they had, there was no economy models or builds. The Mini-14 used to be the cheaper alternative for a very long time.

>Why are built ARs potentially even cheaper for the same parts?
Because again, economy of scale, and with building your own from parts you can really cut into the cost and cut out a bunch of middle men.

There's no building your own Mini-14.

>In terms of cost for performance, the AR completely obliterates the Mini-14
I never argued otherwise, I literally say as such.
>>
>>31175522
>Implying that an SCR doesn't look like shit
Imblying it's not better than the Mini in every way. Also, I've seen a fuckton of people in free states want it just because it's sexy. Maybe you have trashy taste?

>For general usage it would be more durable externally
Source?
>>
>>31175735
Did you even watch the same video? The guy was all over the place.

>The Mini-14 is also kind of an expensive design inherently.
And underperforming. Get over it, the AR is better.
>>
>>31175760
Read the articles.

It's not hard to get one down to 2 MOA
>>
>>31175760
>Get over it, the AR is better.
You keep saying that as if I didn't literally say that multiple times.
>>
File: don't do it anon.jpg (15KB, 639x229px) Image search: [Google]
don't do it anon.jpg
15KB, 639x229px
>>31173826
this is a CA AR.
Do not.
>>
>>31174466
you haven't seen the CA-legal ARs, have you?
>>
>>31174301
If you're deadset on a Ruger 5.56 they have several choices that are not mini-14's. They're more reliable and cost less too.

http://ruger.com/products/ar556/models.html
>>
File: SCR.png (2MB, 2047x1228px) Image search: [Google]
SCR.png
2MB, 2047x1228px
>>31175895
>>31175876
Or like this.
>>
>>31175933
Fair enough, but I think that the Mini-14 would be more worth it.
>>
File: ares2.jpg (17KB, 639x150px) Image search: [Google]
ares2.jpg
17KB, 639x150px
SCR with wood furniture and have the best of both worlds.
>>
>>31175876
This is a glorious abomination, and I love it.
>>
>>31175960
this mmm that wood gives me wood
>>
>>31173826
An any state but Commifornia, Jew York, and the People's Republik of Massachusetts I'd tell you to go with the AR since it would be cheaper and easily upgradable. But since you have the misfortune of living in a 3rd World state, go with the Mini-14. In the end, the idiots in charge see the wood stock and think it's a fud gun without realizing it's functionally identical to the AR.
>>
>>31175876
>enter thread
>side with team Mini 14 for Cali anon.
>AR fags make good points
>decide AR might be better long term choice
>see anons ask if anyone has seen Cali AR
>see this pic

Team mini for life. Mini is fun, will do the job if roof top Koreans recruit you.
>>
>>31175781
Same with an AR, for cheaper.

>>31175799
Then why even converse with me if you agree?

>>31176086
Not every AR needs to look like that you mong.
>>
let me start off with saying im in a ban state were an sks costs as much as a mini 14 (700+). i personally wanted a semi auto rifle i could walk around the woods with.
I bought a mini 14 and shot 50 rounds of tula ammo through it now it wont even shoot. the firing pin wont strike the primer.
so im out of the rifle right now. also the mags are expensive as fuck i would buy an ar15
>>
>>31173826
Hey OP I have a Mini 14 for sale [email protected]
Let's make a deal
>>
>>31176194
>Then why even converse with me if you agree?
Because not everyone buys a gun which has to be the absolute best.

Some shoot for enjoyment, and the Mini-14 is enjoyable to shoot, it feels different, it also happens to be alright at what it does, even at somewhat higher cost.
I'm the kind of guy who'll buy both the AR and the Mini, because I know the AR is fantastic, but I also just like the Mini for what it is.

I think .300BLK is objectively more practical than 7.62x39mm but I'm not telling people to not get AKs.
>>
>>31176647
But the entire point was a guy was arguing they were just as good.

They aren't. If he wants to buy a lesser firearm that's on him.
>>
>>31173826
The AR is better in every conceivable way. Unless you have some fuddcore emotional attachment to the garand aesthetic there is no reason whatsoever to get a mini. I own both, the ruger sucks.

[COMMENTS DISABLED]
>>
OP it's obvious you don't know crap about guns
>>
Just get a decent upper and an Anderson lower, all these people telling you to get a Plinker tier rifle are busting your balls
>>
I have an ar15 but the mini14 is a very venerable platform, especially if you don't want to worry about customizing (thought that's still an option). The mini is plug and play right out of the box. Prebuilt ar15s are ok but if you really want a good at experience you should build from the ground up. Ther are some cool features and thing law the mini can do that the ar15 can't and vice versa
>>
I have the Ruger AR556 and here they are 579 on sale, a mini 14 is at least 900 bucks. Depends what you want to use it for I guess. If your poking holes in paper get a Ruger AR556.
>>
>>31173826
I'd at least get an AR lower now while you can, it gives you the option to register as an AW until 2018 and an AR is a more practical rifle.

That said, I love the Mini-14, I've owned several over the years. It really does come down to different strokes.
>>
>>31180923
>at least 900
I'm selling my old one for 550 and there's a dealer on Calguns selling 583s (new model) NIB for 640. If you're paying 900 for a Mini-14 you're getting robbed.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.