[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gunsmithing- The cheaper option?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: 18779681.jpg (72KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
18779681.jpg
72KB, 900x600px
So, i just inherited a lathe and a milling machine, along with a bunch of tools.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy non-functioning or broken guns and repair them rather than buy them new? would gunshops sell broken guns if asked?
>>
>>31173404
Do you actually have any idea how to operate any of that equipment properly?
>>
>>31173404
Once you factor time and cost of tooling no on both accounts unless you're an experienced gunsmith. But even then it would have to be your career and you would have to enjoy eating ramen
>>
>>31173486
vocationally trained machinist actually, i went to a tech school.

>>31173512
I can't imagine making afew spare parts or fixing a trigger mechanism to be that bad. Machining isn't that hard.
>>
>>31173544
I have an associate degree in machining. Gunsmith work is poorly compensated. It's never a simple fix and almost never worth your time. But hey if you make me eat my words then you've won an internet argument.
>>
>>31173486
To actually answer your question: probably not. Maybe if you can buy pre-fab spare parts on the cheap, or the part that broke is really simple. But most likely not.

I do some machining in what little spare time I have at home, and I've lost track of how many hours I've spent just making a thing that I need to make a different thing, which I need to make another thing, which is necessary for me to complete whatever project I originally set out to make in the first place.
>>
>>31173544
>>31173574
Ayyyy

What school?

Still waiting for them to actually mail my degree to me. Said it would take a maximum of five months. Well, it's approaching four.
>>
>>31173574
I'm not planning on selling, i'm planning on keeping the guns.

>>31173578
that is like machine work in general. getting a CNC machine would be amazing but that would be so fucking expensive to buy.
>>
>>31173589
mine was just a highschool, they took quite a while to get me my degree.
>>
North Idaho college. It's the cost of setup that makes gunsmithing so costly. If you could do big production runs of parts you'd be great. But for just yourself it could be fun.
>>
>>31173404
And, you're going to need and FFL to do that.
>>
>>31173942
Only if he is selling them
>>
File: NoOneSuspectsTheDOG.gif (334KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
NoOneSuspectsTheDOG.gif
334KB, 500x375px
>>31173942
>you're going to """need""" an FFL to do that.
>>
>>31173958
which i am not, i'm gonna be keeping the guns.
>>
>>31173404
you lucky fuck
Also some gun shops do sell fixer guns. Its a good way to practice.
>>
What type of broken? I mean, most poor quality guns just need basic handwork to repair the stocks, and clean up the triggers, which requires a file and delicate hands.

As for machine intensive gunsmithing, you can make sub-par replacement parts, but probably not much more. At that point, it's usually better to just buy what's needed. The big jobs, like rebarrelling, scope setting, etc need a bit more knowledge and usually space to actually test your work.

Do you know what headspacing is, or how to measure it? What about making springs? Touching up finishes, like bluing and anodizing? Troubleshooting feed ramps to get a pistol to cycle? Rewelding, shaping, and setting firing pin depth? These are a lot of the normal jobs gunsmiths do.
>>
>>31173968
but ATF always suspect the dog
>>
>>31174038
yeah, but now i'm down an uncle, making the best of a bad situation.

>>31174087
really any kind of broken, even if i can't fix it it'll be fun to play with a unique gun. maybe even salvage them for parts
>>
>>31173942
>gun is won't cycle
>fuck around with the extractor
>it works fine now
>somehow this is illegal
>the ATF rapes my dog and zip-ties my dick to an electric fence
sounds about right
>>
Every cuck and his brother have the same idea you do
They fix them themselves
I've rarely come across broken guns for sale that were relatively easy fixes

And I'm a gunsmith
>>
>>31175669
i doubt every cuck now has a personal machine shop and vocational training in machining.
>>
>>31173404

Just be careful you don't get called a manufacturer because you fix guns then have to pay 2.5K a year in taxes...at least in the US.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.