[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"Effective" Range?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: effectiverange.png (83KB, 799x588px) Image search: [Google]
effectiverange.png
83KB, 799x588px
Hi /k/
Greetings from /tg/. I come to you in my time of need.
For the purpose of tactical combat wargaming,
How accurate is pic related?
What kind of "effective range" should I be considering?
At what ranges should there be numerical diminishing returns?

Not trying to start a 5.56 vs 7.62 war, just looking for a little advice or links to useful info
>>
File: pistolcarts.jpg (51KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
pistolcarts.jpg
51KB, 800x600px
Also asking the same for pistol cartridges.
I know 50 m is generally the farthest you'll ever want to shoot a pistol
>>
Just give 5.56 better accuracy and slightly more range, but make 7.62x39 do more damage and have better penetration to even it out. That's probably the best way to balance them for a board game.
>>
It has more to do with what you shoot it out of desu, and the person holding the rifle. Barrel length dictates velocity heavily
>>
>>31170619
>>31170577
Planning on statting guns individually, so it should be easy to slightly change values based on barrel length and other performance variables.

The problem is figuring this out for a huge number of weapons, basically everything used by police and military forces around the world.
i.e. if the M4A1 gets 840 m, how does a C7 fare in comparison
>>
More like 300 for the M43 and 556 cartridges.
>>
>>31170687
Modifying by barrel length is a good way to go.

What other variables are present in your game?
>>
>>31170514
Specify bullet weight and load, they come in different varieties.
>>
>>31171016
Right now I'm using
Lethality score, how likely the round is to incapacitate a target in a single hit.

AP score, how effective the round is against body armor.

Accuracy, general measure. The proficiency of the user will have much more impact on getting hits.

Effective range, maximum range, mag capacity. Its all very early WIP.
>>
>>31171066
Dunno if useful, but I'm also noting the size of guns too, such as whether a pistol is compact or full size, or if a rifle is a carbine or DM/Long length.
>>
I suppose I should have opened with some description of the WIP itself.

I'm aiming for a small scale, high detail skirmish system, that works well for things like police/counter terrorist engagements, or special forces.

The idea being that you can customize your individual oper8ors and their skills/equipment. Kind of like Doorkickers mixed with ArmA.
>>
>>31171066
I'll make some suggestions on how to modify those scores based on the weapon's characteristics, this should simplify things on your end. Though, as I am sure should be obvious, the character's training and experience should matter more within a single weapon class.

>Lethality score, how likely the round is to incapacitate a target in a single hit.
Caliber, barrel length, ammunition type (if applicable).

>AP score, how effective the round is against body armor.
Caliber, barrel length, ammunition type.

>Accuracy, general measure. The proficiency of the user will have much more impact on getting hits.
Caliber, barrel length, locking mechanism, weapon quality, optics used.

>Effective range, maximum range, mag capacity. Its all very early WIP.
Once again, caliber and barrel length.

There's not a huge amount of difference between modern weapons within a class. It's why caliber war threads (and the like) go to 300 posts every time; the narcissism of the small difference.
>>
>>31171097
This will be important if you are factoring in manoeuverability and fatigue.
>>
>>31171144
>>31171153
Ctrl C+Ving this.
Very helpful man, this makes sense and really narrows down what to focus on.

Appreciate it.
>>
>>31171195
Barrel length eventually reduces the muzzle velocity of a cartridge btw. If some munchkin decides to strap a 40" barrel on his AR15 be sure to penalize him, penially.
>>
>>31170514
The phrase "effective range" literally means nothing, you need to specify what you mean by effective range.

If you mean how far can you hit a human sized target more than you would miss them, then for 5.56 you'd be looking at 500-600m

If you mean the range at which a section of riflemen can reliably suppress the enemy, you could be talking up to 1200m

If you mean the max range at which the bullet is travelling fast enough to likely kill, you'd be talking kilometres.

It also depends on the weapon from which the round is fired (obviously)
>>
>>31171195
Side note too
Shorter thicker barrels are typically more accurate than longer and thinner barrels. This is because the barrel will whip around less so which will prevent the bullet from deflecting quite as much.
The trade of is obviously velocity and weight.
>>
>>31171254
Not really effective range is typically understood to be the max super sonic range of a bullet at least for long range shooting. I don't think OP knew/knows that though.
>>
>>31171315
So what's the effective range of sub-sonic ammo?
>>
>>31171254
>>31171315
So it would be reasonable to completely remove this value in favor of a simple score that represents how the gun performs at "combat range" and "beyond optimal range"?

Say, set these to 400m / 2000m for rifles
and 50m / 150m for pistols and just give scores for each?
>>
>>31171338
If I were you I'd use the phrase "Maximum Effective Range", which is generally accepted to be "Maximum range at which there is more than a 50% likelihood of hitting a human sized target"
>>
>>31171331
>long range shooting
To clarify it's not because the bullet is sub sonic that that's where the effective range ends it's because the transition from super to sub will cause a huge decrease in accuracy and will often make the bullet tumble. With subs it's more about can you hit your target still?
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.