[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Edition the Third of the Boo/k/lub

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 20

File: bkE01.jpg (115KB, 936x702px) Image search: [Google]
bkE01.jpg
115KB, 936x702px
Hey /k/

This is the third edition of the arbitrarily recurring Boo/k/lub Thread. You are encouraged to recommend books for us to read. You are obliged to leave a brief and informative synopsis. You are invited to leave a personal review and a DEFKON rating (5: i hated this piece of shit - 1: buy this book immediately or i will murder your family).

All recommendations are accepted, but the topics should relate to weapons, warfare, the theories behind weapons and tactics and warfare, the technical understanding of weapons and logistics and warfare, and of course instruction manuals. As such, Fiction, Non-Fiction, White Papers, Gray Papers, and homebrew thesis papers are all acceptable. Please leave a link to the source material, or an explanation for the lack of one (out of print, paywall blocked, verboten, etc.)

If you are opposed to book learnin' or just generally avoid academia, i feel bad for you. Please do not spam hatred.

All entries will be saved and popular entries will be listed in later editions. You are encouraged to keep your own list as well.

[note: had a bad data loss event, so feel free to repost.]
>>
>>31159547
>>31109722
Few replies and recommendations in another book thread a few days ago.

Definitely recommend pic related to anyone and everyone.
Follows a young German sniper on the Eastern Front in the dying days of the war. Based on the memoirs and interviews with the real sniper who experienced it first hand.
I knew hardly anything about the eastern front and it still gripped me and sparked an interest in learning more. Some pretty brutal stuff in it which probably entices a few of you.
>DEFKON 2
>>
File: 103421.jpg (65KB, 450x648px) Image search: [Google]
103421.jpg
65KB, 450x648px
>>31159547
I don't read very many /k/ related books, but I read pic related recently.

It's pretty interesting, and he talks about his combat experiences instead of his personal life. It's pretty short too, which is good if you're like me and are a fucking slow reader.
>>
File: rightkindofwar.jpg (25KB, 304x475px) Image search: [Google]
rightkindofwar.jpg
25KB, 304x475px
The Right Kind of War by John McCormick 1992

A fiction story about the Marine Raiders of WWII. Written by a vet and using many different first hand accounts, this story goes from Guadalcanal to Okinawa, taking real life events and historical happenings and folding them into the story of the 4th Raider Battalion.

This is a book that my father got for me whan i was a young man fascinated with the grit and glory of war. I was not disappointed. The characters are vibrant, the battles are harrowing, and the skulduggery and jackassery of life as a Leatherneck was everything an adolescent boy could want to read. But the book takes a turn, and as the Marines land on Iwo Jima, the full cost of War comes into sharp and painful focus. So many chill motherfuckers, doe eyed farmboys, guido ass city kids, and brilliant and enterprising young officers slaughtered, maimed, and broken by a herculean war machine hell bent on dominating an implacable enemy. This story, along with All Quiet on the Western Front, woke me up to the fact that war is not a game. There is no reset button or save points. The enemy is not some faceless, pixelated gook. Our granddads fought because they had to; they wanted to stay home, bang ladies, and get fat and old with good jobs and healthy kids. We will soon be called to fight again, and i hope we can have the clarity of purpose to do what must be done.

DEFKON RATING: 3 for being fiction, 2 for being a feeltrip.

https://www.amazon.com/Right-Kind-War-John-McCormick/dp/1557505748/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472595662&sr=8-1&keywords=the+right+kind+of+war+john+mccormick
>>
We Claim the Title by Burton F. Anderson 1994

"We Claim The Title is a remarkable, 'total recall' account of one Marine's Korean War experiences."

This first hand story was given to my grandfather by one of his fellow Marine Officers. My granddad gave it to me when i told him i wanted to be a Marine when i grew up. I was young and intimidated by the tome, so it lived on my shelf for a long time before i opened it up and learned a thing or two about the grim realities of politically motivated conflict. This non-fiction story reads like a novel and is packed with maps, pictures, and notes from Marines that rekt shit on The Peninsula.

DEFKON RATING: 3

https://www.amazon.com/We-Claim-Title-Burton-Anderson/dp/0964311003/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472596104&sr=8-1&keywords=we+claim+the+title+burton+f+anderson
>>
Casca Casca Casca Casca Casca Casca Casca Casca Casca Casca Casca Casca Casca Casca Casca Casca Casca Casca Casca Casca Casca Casca Casca Casca Casca Casca Casca Casca Casca Casca Casca Casca Casca Casca Casca Casca Casca Casca Casca Casca Casca Casca Casca Casca Casca Casca Casca Casca Casca Casca Casca Casca Casca Casca Casca Casca Casca Casca Casca Casca Casca Casca Casca Casca
>>
>>31159547
I recently started Metro 2033 and I just ordered One Soldiers War last night
>>
File: teamofrivals.jpg (66KB, 948x1395px) Image search: [Google]
teamofrivals.jpg
66KB, 948x1395px
Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin 2005

"This brilliant multiple biography is centered on Lincoln's mastery of men and how it shaped the most significant [sic] presidency in the nation's history."

This is an excellent book about Lincoln that was hijacked by Obama shills. Kearns Goodwin uses more than 50 personal accounts by the various people in Lincoln's life to construct a portrait of a man that history has deified. It is a long book, but you will tear through it, learning that Lincoln had a penchant for gallows humor, subtly demeaning wordplay in the presence of simpletons, and ridiculous upper body strength (she gives an account of Lincoln visiting a Union encampment wherein he tells the troops that if anyone can hold an axe by the bottom of the haft with their arm fully extended longer than him he would make them a general... no one came close ). This book both humanizes and sullies the Lincoln of your childhood, bringing to light a cynical, morose man that was quite manipulative and far more shrewd than he was kind.

DEFKON RATING: 2

https://www.amazon.com/Team-Rivals-Political-Abraham-Lincoln/dp/0743270754/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472596692&sr=8-1&keywords=team+of+rivals
>>
File: thedeadandthoseabouttodie.jpg (25KB, 260x392px) Image search: [Google]
thedeadandthoseabouttodie.jpg
25KB, 260x392px
>>31159547
Just started reading: The Dead and Those About to Die.

About the 1st Infantry Division landing at Normandy. It was given to me by one of my neighbors who was there. May the /k/ube bless old Bob. Antitank Platoon, 2nd Battalion, 26th Infantry Regiment, Big Red One.
>>
File: knifeman.jpg (20KB, 260x390px) Image search: [Google]
knifeman.jpg
20KB, 260x390px
The Knife Man: Blood, Body Snatching, and the Birth of Modern Surgery by Wendy Moore 2005

I have made candles of infant's fat
The Sextons have been my slaves
I have bottled babes unborn, and dried
Hearts and livers from rifled graves.

From "The Surgeons Warning" by Robert Southey 1799

This is the story of John Hunter, a Scottish boy that was fascinated by that which lies beneath the skin. The younger brother of a physician of note, Hunter would go on to lead a life of sordid rumor, brilliant science, and intersectional inspiration to many great minds. It has been asserted that he was the inspiration behind Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. A young lad named Charles Darwin would have multiple interactions with the unschooled teacher who asserted that most things liked very similar when you stripped of their skin. Many a disfigured and malformed person would be hounded by a crazy man attempting to cadge contracts for their bodies after they died. Benjamin Franklin always made a point to visit Hunter when he was in England. The Bodies Exhibit, the Mutter Museum, and much of the content of textbooks in any surgeon's textbook derive much from a man who once claimed to have touched, tasted, and smelled every excretion, organ, and entity the human body had to offer. This is a delightfully appalling book, and if you are wondering why you have never heard of this man, it may be because his shitty, no talent son-in-law passed off much of Hunter's work as his own. Being a dipshit, he was caught and in fear he burned a huge amount of Hunter's writings.

DEFKON RATING: 2

https://www.amazon.com/Knife-Man-Snatching-Modern-Surgery/dp/0767916530/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472596770&sr=8-1&keywords=the+knife+man
>>
File: Few-Returned.jpg (29KB, 319x475px) Image search: [Google]
Few-Returned.jpg
29KB, 319x475px
Few Returned by Eugenio Corti

The author was an Italian artillery officer of the Italian Expeditionary Force sent by Mussolini to fight the Soviet Union. This book covers their defeat and retreat through horrible conditions the Italians were not prepared to face. A complete first hand account covering nearly a month of retreat against the cold, weather, Soviets, Germans and even each other.

I personally just finished this book and highly recommend it.
>>
What a fucking horrendous thread.
>>
Bump for interest
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (44KB, 492x659px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
44KB, 492x659px
The Holy Bible by a bunch of dead dudes.

synopsis
>guy in the sky creates the world
>makes one mahfucka who runs around naked talking to animals
>guy in the sky wants more of these dudes
>so he rips one the mahfucka's ribs and makes a bitch to poke from dust.
>bitch fucks up and eats the one thing the guy in the sky hates...fuckin apples.
>no more paradise
>they have kids, theyre kids fuck angels and create abominations(fucking cyclops).

>time skip

>all kinds of dudes now
>first dude to kill of mothefucker kills his brother for his fathers blessing
>guy in the sky hates people fucking each other for fun so he blows up a bunch of cites(pretty cool)
>guy in the sky decides he fucked up, he floods the world except for one dude, his family, and a shitload of animals.
>flood ends, some how more people show up even though he killed every body but that family(incest?).
>little guy fucks up big with a sling shot
>unicorns at some point
>solamon threatening to cut babies in half.
>kikes are enslaved by the egyptians
>kikes slip a baby into royalty
>"let my people go"
>frogs, floods, water into blood, first borns die, locust.
>people killing sheep and putting its blood on their doors so death will leave them bee(fucking metal).
>dude named moses gathers the kikes and is like "we out this piece."
>Moses parts a who fucking sea.
>leads the kikes on a forty year hike through the desert
>Bread and mana(fuck is mana?) falls from the sky.
>kikes start acting stupid so moses climbs a mountain to talk to the man in the sky.
>comes back with 10 commandments(how not to be a dick).
>scooby doo adventures ensue with cylopses and giants.
>moses dies in sight of the promise land

>time skip

>bitch names mary fucks an angel but instead of an abomination out pops the son of the guy in the sky.
>cuck named joseph raises jesus(son of guy in the sky)
>he fucks around til he is about 17 and goes on a journey.
>makes friends with 12 fishermen.

>to be continued.
>>
>>31162933
>intersectional
Now that is, I believe, a severely underrated word among right-wing places like /k/. Sure, there's tons of lefties using the term to mean whatever garbage they are shitting out their mouths, pens, and keyboards. But it is a nice and direct way of saying that something come at the intersection of two disciplines. It captures the idea better than "interdisciplinary". Plus, if we choose to get intersectional between evolutionary biology and thermodynamics, we unearth some MASSIVE "red-pills" regarding economics.
>>
File: fireforce.jpg (56KB, 333x499px) Image search: [Google]
fireforce.jpg
56KB, 333x499px
I'm currently on Chapter 18 of the book "Fireforce" by Chris Cocks. It's a first-hand account of his time in the 3 Commandos 11 Troop during the Rhodesian Bush Wars. Fantastic read, so far.
>>
>>31164809
>cylopses
Cyclopes.

>little guy fucks up big with a sling shot
Archaeology of the region has uncovered a LOT more about the Jew-Philistine relations. Apparently they engaged in trade, influenced each other's religions, and even fucked each other. There definitely were conflicts, but the Torachic/Old Test version is about as useful in Philistine studies as De Bello Gallico is in Celtic studies, ie it's shit and propaganda.

>kikes are enslaved by the egyptians
Exodus and the events leading up to it are fucking fascinating from a historical perspective.
>>
>>31164940
>Chris Cocks
>>
File: 1032230-_0.jpg (123KB, 825x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1032230-_0.jpg
123KB, 825x1200px
>>31162763
>[sic]
>on a correctly spelled word used correctly
kill yourself
>>
File: 151007005_5.jpg (82KB, 1000x953px) Image search: [Google]
151007005_5.jpg
82KB, 1000x953px
>>
>>31164969
One of the guys in his basic training was named "Condons". He acknowledges it and the joke is made plenty of times throughout the book, anon. I'm sorry, you're not the first.
>>
>>31164362
GTFO pleb
>>
>>31164991
[sic] is not restricted to neologisms, esoteric terminology, or misspelling/misuse. It can also be used to indicate that a wildly inaccurate or misleading misuse of terminology.

retard.
>>
File: crusades09.jpg (61KB, 563x794px) Image search: [Google]
crusades09.jpg
61KB, 563x794px
>>31164809

>Jesus and his 12 homies roll deep spreading the word of god and doing miracles.(healing bitches, killing bitches, turning water into wine, making fish and bread, and raising bitches from the dead.
>some of the kikes are like "this dudes the savior" and call themselves Christians.
>some haters are like "this dude is not the savior" aka romans and heathens.
>Jesus whips ass in the temple
>Romans dont like the Christians, and burn down they're own city(crazy mahfuckas)
>Jesus get a hoe for the whole squad to share named mary.
>Jesus sits his homies down says "10 of you are my ride or die niggas, one of yall will betray and one of yall is a snitch but its cool and all is forgiven. Now lets have supper"
>a few days later the snitch snitches for some coin and the romans pick jesus and one of his homies turns his back on him.
>romans beat jesus like the red headed step child.
>then they make him carry a lower case T to the top of a hill and stake his hands and feet to it, and put a crown of thorn on him.
>they make fun of him.
>Jesus talks to the to other dudes up their is like "yo, yall will go to heaven with me."
>roman dude stick Jesus with a spear.
>Jesus dies a few days later.
>Jesus dies for our sins so now everyone who is down with the guy in the sky can go to heaven.
>they put jesus in a cave
>*earth quake*
>jesus is back, like fuck you mean i aint the savior.
>jesus dies again.

>time skip

>(best part)
>whole word is ending
>trumpets and shit
>three horsemen and shit
>people getting marked and shit
>things coming out the ocean
>things coming out the sky
>things coming out the sun
>things coming out of things
>demons and shit
>all is well for no fucking reason

i give it 3 out of 5 on the 5 being worst and 1 being best scale. Would read again, made me wage a holy war.

Pic related: ME, swords are for faggots.
>>
I read this during basic. I remember it being pretty great, so I'd give it a 4. Memory might be tinting that perception, however.
>>
>>31165144
DEFKON RATING, like the Defcon system goes 5(lowest) to 1(ogodwhatthefickfirezemisslesagain.jpg)

so, a 2?

I love that book. Gen. Hackett got a personal Thank You from Zach Brooks in the acknowledgements of World War Z, which was actually a pretty good book.

Hackett's book is quite the read; it is the basis for Clancy's Red Storm Rising. I highly recommend all three books i mentioned, but WWIII is by far the best.
>>
File: 1469544965987.jpg (113KB, 824x600px) Image search: [Google]
1469544965987.jpg
113KB, 824x600px
>>31165249
>>31165144
aaaaand i am a huge faggot. misread the pic. i am retarted.

...still tho, WWIII is really good.
>>
>>31165144
>>31165249
Shit fuck fuck, change that to a 2, then.
>>
>>31164851
Pure unfettered cringe.
>>
File: book_redarmy.jpg (18KB, 160x259px) Image search: [Google]
book_redarmy.jpg
18KB, 160x259px
Red Army by Ralph Peters. Former US Colonel who spent his career preparing for Cold War gone hot.

Soviet pov, invasion of West Germany, great description of logistics and strategies, plus perspectives of infantry vdv tankers generals all very authentic and plausible.

Defkon 1. Should be mandatory reading for k specially people with a cold war boner
>>
>>31165390
it sucks how the crop of latest crop wewladz have seized upon "cringe" as their fetish word.
>>
File: Stalingrad.jpg (345KB, 1359x2120px) Image search: [Google]
Stalingrad.jpg
345KB, 1359x2120px
Antony Beever's Stalingrad

Its a little hefty upon first glance, just shy of 600 pages or so, but you'll burn through chapter after chapter. The open sets the tone, a confusing scene inside an embassy as the world learns Hitler has decided to betray the USSR. From there, Beever sets up one of the most inclusive "big pictures" of the battle from operation Barbarossa to Operation Uranus and the final, miserable days of the Sixth Army. Each detail and source is masterfully executed leaving the reader often speechless, or more likely brought back to laugh in shock. The statistics are enough to crush your soul, but it's attention to specific details and anecdotes that really grabs you.

Unfortunately he does not go into too many specific encounters in late winter, in my opinion he does not go into enough depth about specific skirmishes - though understandably as confirming such accounts is nearly impossible.
This is my only critique of the book as I was captivated by it the entire time. Gut wrenching moments and highlights are his description of the creation of The Stalingrad Madonna, which brought grown men to sobbing upon first seeing it by candlelight in the hand-dug bunkers the Wehrmacht scraped in the permafrost ground.

This book is one of my most enjoyed, topping many pop-history classics to be in a league of its' own. 10/10 should be read by all /k/ommandos.
If you've ever played Red Orchestra 2, you NEED to read this book.
>>
File: Guadalcanal.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Guadalcanal.webm
3MB, 640x360px
Guadalcanal Diary by Richard Tregaskis

Short little book I picked up for less than 4 dollars at a used book store. Heard some good things about it so decided to give it a shot, cuz why not?
It was really fun, has that classic reserved 40's syntax, but the author does each battle justice in description. As an embedded war correspondent, he took pains to get first hand accounts of air, land, and sea battles. He is also in constant danger and a segment details him in a tiny boat as it out maneuvers a Japanese sub, pretty thrilling, though a little tame by today's standard.

I especially like his brief encounter with the natives who say some top-tier ebonics that are hysterical.
>>
>>31165867
Beevor is in my top WW2 authors

The Fall of Berlin 1945 (also by Beevor) gives a nicely detailed account of the battle for the city and the aftermath and soviet occupation until it was divided between the Allied Powers. It also describes the horrific actions of the Soviets to the Berlin citizens but acknowledges that this is brought on by a desire for revenge of the same atrocities committed by German soldiers in Russia. Overall a great read and a good amount of pictures for reference.

Probably a DEFKON 3 or 2
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2294x3264px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2294x3264px
>>31166443
I'm retarded and didn't put pic of the book so here it is
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.