[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bad extractor, or bad ammo?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

File: 20160830_085045.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160830_085045.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
Hey /k/. I went to the range last weekend and my Para Ordinance 1911 was acting up. As I was firing some .45 remanufactures and some NOT remanufactured .45 Hollow points from freedom munitions, some of the casings looked badly mangled. Even the primer flew off of one. Has anyone ever had this issue?
>>
File: 20160830_085118.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160830_085118.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Here's a picture of the primer side of the casing. Looks pretty bad.
>>
>>31158412
Wow, We're you firing +P? Have you fired +P through it? If so, enough to foul the spring maybe?
>>
File: 20160829_164932.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160829_164932.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Lastly, as I was cleaning the slide I noticed that the rail the slide rides on is a little gouged, but may be unrelated.
>>
>>31158463
Nope, Standard loads.
>>
File: anaconda-3.jpg (194KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
anaconda-3.jpg
194KB, 1024x768px
bumping for curiosity
>>
>>31158412
Did the gun otherwise function fine? it looks like that piece of brass was damaged in a FTE malfunction. That blown primer is a bit concerning. It is hard to tell from the picture but is there a chamfer on that primer pocket? maybe freedom got a hold of some trashed brass that wasnt caught. 45 is a very low pressure cartridge, the primer pockets should still be tight after 50 reloads and firings. Do you have any pictures of cases with in tact primers? picture of case heads please.
>>
Unfortunately I don't have pictures the other brass. What I can say is that the neck of casings looked the same.
>>
>>31158412
That looks like the slide is closing on it before it fully ejects. I could see how that could potentially cause a primer to pop out. Is that not what's happening OP?

If it's an FTE then it's either under-powered ammo, out of spec casings or a weak recoil spring most likely. Other than that the lock-up is too tight, but if that were the case then it should be hard to initially pull back the slide, and it should be very easy to prevent the slide from going to battery if you ride it home. Technically it would have to stop just around the barrel locking lugs, so it should be short of going home within 1/8" or so.

Bad extractor would have to be slipping because it's too loose. From what I can see in the second pic it doesn't look like the rim is damaged.

In any case, a 1911 extractor is fairly easy to test. Remove the slide, take a spent casing and slide the rim under the extractor. It should go in easy enough and hold firm, a few violent shakes of the slide ought to release it though. Too loose and you'll have failures to extract and failures to eject (extractor slips). Too tight and you'll experience failures to feed, but likely wouldn't have ejection or extraction issues.

You can test the extractor just in case, cause it's free and easy. You should definitely try different ammo (get something reputable, Winchester White Box is generally a safe bet), and if it persists get a new recoil spring (obviously a cheap fix, but a good one). If you plan to stick with standard 230gr ball then you could get away with either a 16# or 18.5#, no offense, but given it's a Para O you may want to go on the heavier side with the spring weight (or fuck it, buy both, again, they're cheap, shipping will likely cost more.
>>
>>31158412
Okay, let's get something straight here.

>NOT remanufactured
>freedom munitions

These are mutually exclusive things. Freedom Munitions FUCKING LIES TO YOUR FACE and calls their shit new. Look closely at the cases of the new stuff -- are they all identical? Nope. Fucking reman garbage with almost zero QC.
>>
>>31158940
OP here. Thanks, this is a lot of relevant information. I didn't have any FTEs, but in retrospect I did get oddly good groupings for the powder charge it was supposed to have. I may just get Perfecta or PMC if I have the money.

>>31158987
Yeah, I read the Google reviews today and saw people having some QC problems with the ammo.
>>
Bought over 1000rnds of 9mm new and remand from freedom....have had zero issues

19-21cents a round delivered to my house for flat rate shipping

Still buy big brand ammo when on sale
>>
>>31159336
And I've shot thousands of Freedom as well in multiple calibers without issue as well, but it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Freedom is cheap for a reason, you have a higher risk of getting bad ammo with Freedom.

>>31159245
>Thanks, this is a lot of relevant information.
You're welcome.

If no FTEs then how were the cases getting deformed like that? I can't imagine how they'd get mangled like that otherwise. What do you mean by good groupings for the powder charge?
>>
>>31158412
>>31158424
Primers popping out is a sign of way WAY too much pressure or the primer pocket becoming loose due to many loadings (higher the pressure the sooner this happens). I have had it happen once with some extremely old 6.5 Jap brass (got it used and the guy who gave it to me had no clue how many times he fired it).

From what I have heard about freedom munitions QC, it may have been a double charge (twice the normal amount of powder).
>>
>>31159336
Same until last weekend. I'll have to buy a box of Freedom Munitions and maybe some other more reputable brand and do some testing after I dick around with the extractor and figure out if it's that or not.
>>
how the hell would the extractor, which only touches the rim of the case, damage the neck?
>>
>>31159395
I'm generally a poorer shot than what my groupings were showing. And yes, they were somehow clearing the ejection port like that! It's one of the reasons I'm baffled.
>>
File: brassDef2.jpg (15KB, 600x281px) Image search: [Google]
brassDef2.jpg
15KB, 600x281px
>>31159439
You may have just had a good day then.

Oddly enough I found a guy that looks like he may have been having the same issue as you (pic related). His was a Para too, said he tightened the extractor and it went away.

According to him there was a lot of brass residue on the slide, and the cases were actually going out too fast and being dented on the slide but without any FTEs like you.

Definitely check your extractor tension I would say. Ignore what I said earlier by using empty brass and try it with an actual round of ammo. Again, you should be able to slide it under the extractor with little effort, and it shouldn't come out unless you give it a few hard shakes.

You can fix it yourself by taking it out halfway (it's very easy to remove, Google it real quick) and bending it within the channel it rides in by bending it to the left to tighten it. It may be tedious, but you should only bend it little by little, put it back in and test again. Again, I know it's tedious, but bending it, while necessary, will weaken it slightly-- bending it back the opposite way weakens it much more.

Yeah, there are tools to bend it properly, and there are tools to check the tension properly, but we're going down the cheap road here.
>>
>>31159549
Alright, I'll try that but with a snap cap or something. Last thing I need is a ND into my drywall.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.