[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tulammo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 9

Is Tulammo acceptable range ammo in 9mm? What effect does the steel casing have?
>>
>>31154808
You have to replace parts sooner with steel case, but the cost saving more than makes up for it. If you don't reload, there's no real reason not to use it for target ammo.
>>
Yes. The steel case fire forms less to the chamber, allowing more carbon to go back into the action, getting your gun a little dirtier. The zinc/steel jacket wears the barrel a little faster, but the savings more than make up for it. It is okay range ammo.
>>
>>31154846
What about steel case .45? I've heard .45 has a low bolt thrust; would that help?
>>
Where I live, you're not supposed to use steel core and steel jacketed boolits at certain times of the year, because it can start a fire. Or at least, that's what I understood.

I'm a recent funner, so I could be confusing this with something else
>>
Thanks /k/, I will probably get some since it is so cheap. Are there other comparable brands of cheap plinking ammo?
>>
>>31154905
As long as you're not shooting rocks or metal plates, the bimetal jacket won't case any more sparks than regular ammo.
>>
>>31154808
Ten bucks at wal mart for a box of fifty? Unless you're reloading, you would be silly not to.

Exceptions would be in non-carry gun that get iffy about ammo.
>>
File: 1418228156215s[1].jpg (7KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1418228156215s[1].jpg
7KB, 250x250px
>>31154905
>steel case
>steel core
>steel jackets
>>
>>31154913
Tula brass max brand (all brass, but usually a few bucks more), brown bear, perfecta, sometimes federal or privi partizan.

For major calibers, I usually go to Wal-Mart and get the cheapest stuff on the shelf. For more obscure, there's gunbot, wikiarms, and slickgujns.
>>
File: 1386630330034.png (141KB, 400x392px) Image search: [Google]
1386630330034.png
141KB, 400x392px
>>31154808

Personally I will be avoiding tulammo from now on. Just took my new DSA 58 to the range for the first time today and went with tul just to get it going and test things out. 40 rounds later, a round exploded and blew out my mag. Gonna get the rifle checked out to make sure everything is still sound. I

know this is an anecdote, but hey, take it for what you will.
>>
>>31154953
kek. shoot moar.

if you're running through 500-1k rnds/mo it adds up.

>muh throat erosion

can easily finance a new barrel with savings.

Steel and alum case is GTG, and if it doesn't run your gun sucks.

not for carry, obviously. buy the good shit and test a box.
>>
>>31154989
i was pointing out the fact that the thread was about shooting steel cased cartridges, and the newfun replied with info about steel core bullets and steel jacketed bullets
>>
>>31155132
good call, sry. personal pet peeve of mine
>>
>>31155132
OP's pic is steel jacket. Some indoor ranges don't allow that because it sparks off the backstop and they can't tell if it's steel core (hence fucking up their backstop) or just something as anemic as having a bi-metal jacket. My (crappy) range has the rule that if it's attracted by magnet, you can't shoot it.

Usually steel cased ones are also bi-metal jacketed as well. Not to mention he was talking about possible sparks while outdoor shooting in dry seasons.
>>
>>31154808
shit will kill your gun after 100 rounds, shoot only your premium defense ammunition or nothing.
>>
File: 1463014149525.jpg (15KB, 291x291px) Image search: [Google]
1463014149525.jpg
15KB, 291x291px
>>31154808
I just went through about 3 cases of this at the range last week. Once in a while it jammed up, but not enough to really peev me off. I definitely heard the steel casing can hurt your gun if you use it enough from several gun safety people. I'm sticking with copper personally.
>>
File: 1472473267895.jpg (23KB, 279x336px) Image search: [Google]
1472473267895.jpg
23KB, 279x336px
I shot 50 .45 of Tula last week. The powder, when fired, stank up the place and I could see brown clouds after every shot.

I can usually find brass on AmmoSeek for 1 to 2 cents more per round, and I'd rather pay a little extra than deal with that shit.
>>
>>31154989
>can easily finance a new barrel with savings
>Can't finance proper ammo
>>
>>31154808
Been shooting steel case ammo for years. Had my first squib round last month with Tula 9mm getting stuck in the barrel. Company refunded the box of ammo, gunsmith fee to remove stuck bullet, and range fee. Might be dirty/cheap ammo but company stands behind it so they have my vote.
>>
I like shooting a mix of brass and steel just to piss of the brass bandits. I mostly shoot at a free range operated by the Dept. of Conservation and they crawl all over that place.
>>
File: 1380575249033.jpg (80KB, 426x382px) Image search: [Google]
1380575249033.jpg
80KB, 426x382px
ive been shooting 9mm tula, gone through nearly 1k rounds and not a single problem. If your gun can't shoot tula then your gun sucks
>>
>>31154846
>>31154808
Depending on the caliber brass may be a better option for a few cents more.
>>
>>31154808
Wasn't it Tulammo that had an entire year's production run bought by the Pentagon a few years back, to arm the Afghan National Army? Caused some shortages in the US? Or was that Wolf or Brown Bear? Shit, it's probably all made in the same factory anyway...
>>
Is Tulammo ok in .223?

I'm thinking about getting a bunch just would like some more input.
>>
>>31157146

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WWOQOQS-zk&spfreload=10
>>
I like wolf brand ammo (and chilli). My ar and bolt gun eat em up Good.
>>
>>31157430
Been shooting 75 grain tula out my AR15, working flawlessly with about 200-300 rounds down the tube.
>>
My Frankenstein PSA eats up tula like nothing, supposedly it will wear your barrel out faster, but someone did the math and the money you save on tula, makes up for needing a new barrel faster. Most people probably won't shoot that much in under a year anyhow.
>>
File: 1469819769797.jpg (112KB, 772x817px) Image search: [Google]
1469819769797.jpg
112KB, 772x817px
>>31154808

Lucky Gunner did a great study about steel case ammo in AR's. They found that after 5k to 6k rounds, the barrels were totally worn out with rounds keyholing. Brass case ammo meant the gun lasted until 10k rounds and the author noted that the gun could run for a few thousand rounds more, but they were at their max ammo expenditure. No other parts needed replacement for proper function, including the extractor.

Obviously AR's are very different from sks's and ak's but the concensus online is that steel case doesn't bother the commie guns quite as much.

Given this information, you need to make a decision about steel vs brass case based on a few factors. How often do you shoot the gun in question? Are replacement parts available? If so, how much do they cost? How much money can be saved using steel case vs brass case? Will ammo cost savings cover the cost of replacement parts?

If you only shoot a gun a few times per year, steel case is fine. It will last your lifetime before wearing out. But if you make weekly or bi weekly trips to the range and dump 100 rounds through the firearm each time, I would start considering brass case and the cost/availability of parts.
>>
>>31157984
I question the lucky gunner test. If your only shooting 100-300rnds a trip rather than mag dumping where there is serious heat and lack of cleaning. Will agree that steel accelerates the wear but would like to see a more practical test conducted for the average range trips
>>
>>31154889
You just need a little more squeeze
>>
>>31157111
I only half agree with you
>1300 rounds
>one failure to extract
>would still recommend brass
>gun was 300 rnds dirtyh
>>
Ran Tula in a Glock and an M1A, both had light primer strikes every now and then. Smelled like plastic ass.

If you're poor, I guess, but I'd rather get the cheapest brass (or aluminum) unless I had no other choice.
>>
>>31158156
This. I dont doubt it's harder on my barrel than brass would be, but I don't mag dump 10k rounds at once like they did either. They even said the cheaper powder is the bigger culprit than the bimetal jackets, and el cheapo brass case also uses cheap powder.

It's not like changing an ar barrel is particularly hard anyway, and as luckygunner showed, even replacing the barrel every 5k rounds or so, which you won't have to do if you're not mag dumping, it's still cheaper to shoot steelcase.

I will always want a chrome lined barrel though, no matter what I'm shooting, unless one day I build a long range precision rifle, although the longest range near me only goes out to like 200 yards so...
>>
>>31157984
Why are you purposely misreporting their test? They found that Tula specifically did this. Wolf and Brown Bear had very few problems but did not perform as greatly as Brass.
>>
>>31161630
Steel case conspiracy
>>
>>31157442

Just answer the fucking question.
>>
>>31155386
>defense ammunition or nothing
Train with the shit you use. 2 Mags of 556 cost me just under 40 bucks. Not having to rezero ever time I am at the 3 gun Course / Sheriff's department Range. Yes I pay for my own Duty Ammo.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1465104341004.jpg (52KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1465104341004.jpg
52KB, 540x960px
>>31156360
>pay a little extra
>QUALITY AMMO
>DEPENDABLE AMMO

Yes please.
>>
>>31154808
Q1: yes
Q2: 0%
>>
>>31154808

1: No, steel cases do not damage the barrel. Steel cases use a much softer metal than the barrel itself.

2: No, steel cases do not damage extractors. (See above). When extractors break while using brass cases, you certainly don't hear people saying "Don't use brass cases, they break extractors".

3: No, Bi-metal bullet jackets do not damage the barrel. (See #1).

4: No, current imported ammo (especially with the 9x19mm caliber) do not have steel cores if a magnet sticks to the bullet. (See #3). If the cores of any pistol round had steel in them, BATFE would not have allowed the ammo to be imported since the rounds would be considered armor piercing.
>>
What 7.62x39 ammo does /k/ recommend? I have an N-PAP that I want to target shoot with at least once per month/2 months.
>>
>>31165379
Brown/Silver Bear, leaves less deposition in the gas system than Tula but is still cheap enough.

That said, go online somewhere with a good selection and buy a box each of a few different manufacturers and loads and see what shoots best for the money from your rifle. Once you find a load that works well enough for you, look for bulk deals.
>>
File: 1440567178058.jpg (46KB, 500x590px) Image search: [Google]
1440567178058.jpg
46KB, 500x590px
>>
I was shooting this shit last weekend through my M&P 9 and had a ton of failure to feeds---it was weird, it would be a "slow feed", if that makes sense. The slide would hang back for a second or so and then snap forward.
>>
>>31165379

sgammo.com

get golden tiger while u can friend
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.