[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shooting steel vs shooting paper?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

File: 1428625181807.png (59KB, 684x710px) Image search: [Google]
1428625181807.png
59KB, 684x710px
I generally shoot on paper targets, but have been thinking of going to plates/silhouettes. What are the pros and cons of either?
>>
>>31149853
You talking to me?..
>>
>>31149853
Steel is fun, paper is precise.

Anything else is memes/fuddlore
>>
>>31149876
If I'm going for "combat accuracy" for pistols, should I even bother with paper?
>>
>>31150044
Depends on how accurate you want "accuracy" to be.
>>
File: P1060817.jpg (2MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
P1060817.jpg
2MB, 2560x1920px
>>31149853
Steel is just way more fun at any range if you ask me.
Also it gives a nice audible feedback, so you can set it out a long ways and hear your hits.
>>
Besides fun, does shooting steel offer any advantages over paper?
>>
>>31151008
You can hear your hits, but for the cost of good steel that will last, you could buy a shit load of paper targets.
>>
>>31151008
i imagine not getting shot through and not being a target after a while. and just spray paint over for new look.
>>
>>31151008

It gives audible feedback, so if say you want to train on quick follow-up shots you can hear the "ding ding ding" of the bullets on steel. This also allows you to hot a target at distance without having to walk down to see if you hit it, if the target moves you know you got it. Also most have some sort of dynamic action, so a spinner plate or ones that swing from side to side, so you have to slightly alter your point of aim to keep with the dynamic target.

Steel also has the benefit of giving a rough estimate of bullet force. A .22 will barely make it ring and a shotgun slug will knock the crap out of it. So you can get something of a feel if those hot Underwood loads are really going to make a difference.

There is no contest that paper is better for sighting in a rifle or working on precision shooting, but if you want to work on your sweet "art of the tactical rifle" skills then steel is way more fun.
>>
>>31149876
This.
Steel gives instant auditory feedback, even from a distance, but paper can refine groupings and tell you if you or your firearm are trending toward high/low, up/down, etc.
I'd do paper from a mid-range distance where you can get all shots on target, zero in until you're pretty consistently hitting bullseyes, then shift to long range steel. Anything else is likely a waste of ammo.
>>
Steel does not say "I hit a grazing shot in the tip of the upper left shoulder" vs. "I hit him in the heart."

Paper does not tell you that you hit at all until you take a hike downrange and probably forgot exactly the stance/grip/trigger control you used on that shot to compare it to the next.
>>
>>31151222
>"I hit a grazing shot in the tip of the upper left shoulder" vs. "I hit him in the heart."

Yes it does, silence equals miss, DONG equals heart.
>>
>>31149853

Steel is better in every way, unless you're practicing sub 7 yard stuff. It gives immediate feedback and you don't have to worry about replacing it halfway through the range trip. I bought an 8 inch circle and I love it, it's nice training. Either it's either a center of mass hit or it's a complete miss, I've just got to get a 4 inch circle to practice headshots.

I say steel is a must for rifles. That immediate feedback is a lot better than not knowing if you hit or not until you walk out and get the target. If you've got a scope you might be able to see the holes, but it's not going to happen with iron sights. I definitely recommend shooting steel.
>>
Familias, why can't we just put paper in front of steel? You could put a little plate over the head and another over the heart and get the ding and the data to view later.
>>
>>31151616

Not a bad idea, but exploding bits of lead would shred the paper.
>>
>>31151374
>I say steel is a must for rifles
Can the same be said for pistols?
>>
>>31151616
Because rounds splat on steel and send spall all over.
>>
>>31151616
paint works better but you have to reapply all the time if you want to keep track of hits
>>
>>31149853
>What are the pros and cons of either?
Steel rings. Paper marks
>>31149876
>Steel is fun, paper is precise.
>>31150044
>should I even bother with paper?
Yes. Do paper atleast once in a while so you make sure your groups are still good.
>>
>>31151040
>ut for the cost of good steel that will last,
Breh just find some used brake rotors or drums in a scrap heap. Ask your local repair shops if you can swipe some, most won't give a fuck, especially the corporate ones.
>>
>>31151222
>>31151374

>What is a spotting scope
>>
>>31155191
Pretty sure steel is cheaper at that point.

GOD DAMN IT GOOGLE QUIT FUCKING WITH RE-CAPTCHA OR WHATEVER THE FUCKING FUCK. YOU FUCKING CUNTS.
>>
>>31151222
In *current year*, it's entirely unacceptable to not have either a pair of binocs or a camera with a video output back where you are.
>>
>>31149853
Set paper targets over steel so you can get the best of both worlds

Paper to see grouping, steel to know you're actually hitting it and most importantly, the ding it makes
>>
Steel is a hazard. The bullet can ricochet back and hit someone. Always use paper
>>
>>31156237
no u
>>
>>31156229
That's literally retarded.
>>
>>31155767
I don't..
>>
>>31149853
Pros: DING
Cons: pesky ricochets
>>
>>31156229
Spalling rips the paper

I have a 50 yard roll of 2 feet wide light brown packaging paper.

I made a 2 feet wide light wooden frame. I just cut a 2 feet long piece and attach it to the frame with a stapler.

An inch diameter black dot with a felt pen in the middle of the paper and I'm good to go from 0 to 500 yards.
>>
>>31156237
>>31157722
>>31157722
>ricochets
If you angle it downwards, you should be fine. It's the people who place the steel vertical.
>simultaneously exerts a force equal in magnitude and opposite in direction
>>
>not putting a steel circle in front of paper
>hear the ding for heart shots
>see your grouping otherwise
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.