[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First Time Buyer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 8

File: Remington870_wingmaster.jpg (161KB, 778x540px) Image search: [Google]
Remington870_wingmaster.jpg
161KB, 778x540px
Hey, /k/.

Currently noguns, but I've been around them my whole life. I've got a fair bit of experience with them, and tomorrow I'm getting my grandfather's 870 Wingmaster. He also has a custom Henry .44 that I'll have once I have a safe.
Wife is progun and wants a carry piece, as do I. Any suggestions on first handgun purchases and maybe even a safe to recommend?
>>
>>31118823
Glock 19 is generic, small enough to carry, big enough for combat, cheap to feed, easy to clean, reliable as fuck. Its a great one to buy, practice, train with and get comfortable around handguns before moving around.

Honda Civic of cars, one-size-fits-all and generic enough for most tasks.
>>
Take CC classes at a reputable, responsible instructor and take their recommendations. Ask around others for some advice.

It's a very broad question, generally speaking. I know some people that carry full size handguns. I know others that swear by subcompacts. It's personal preference, experience and requirement rolled into one. I carried a CZ75 for years and I grew fond of it. Others hate the things.

What I'm driving at here is that it's a deadly weapon and you should be carrying it to prevent yourself from being harmed, or your loved ones. With that in mind, whatever you feel the most confident and suitable carrying should be the firearm you go with. There may be a day when you have to use the thing (you should hope to God there isn't), so make sure it's the best tool for the job.
>>
>>31118865
I often found teaching people to shoot with Glocks (who had never shot before) was very easy and yielded good results, but that people who had experience with other handguns tended to dislike them or at least have their preference elsewhere.

OP could do far worse than a Glock. I'm not a fan, but they're exactly as you said.
>>
>>31118914
OP here.
I don't mind Glocks. The wide grip fits nicely in my hand. Any suggestions for the wife? She's got small hands. She's only ever shot revolvers. Everybody in the South has some vendetta against pistols.
>>
>>31118914
I hate Glock but I'll be damned if they aren't reliable. Out of brand new shooters who walk out with their first handgun at my shop, I'd say an easy 90% buy either a G43 or G19 and there's nothing wrong with that at all.

No shit, 9 out of 10 buy a Glock 43 or 19.
>>
>>31118941

Revolvers:
Ruger LCR
Ruger SP101
S&W Model 60
.357 Mag or .327 Fed

Single-Stack Pocket 9mm:
Glock 43
Sig P938
Walther PPS
Springfield XDS
S&W M&P Shield

Honorable Mention:
Walther CCP

No .40's or .45's allowed
>>
>>31118941
Far too many people think "I have large/small X so therefore I need large/small Y". I'm 6'3 in my bare feet and I have legitimately never found a passenger car hard to drive, nor have I ever struggled finding clothing. Plenty of people out there far smaller than me who claim to need drive with the seat slammed all the way back just to fit in.

Forget her hands. Unless she has a genetic disorder, her hands are big enough. If she goes in there with something in her head about how big her hands are, she won't shake it and will attribute any sort of setback to that. I've had people convinced they weren't cut out for rifle shooting because they were too small, despite being about three inches taller and 40lbs heavier than the conscripts who used the things for real for weeks on end.

Have her shoot a variety of handguns. Pick out the one she shoots the best with, budget permitting.
>>
>>31118987
Any drawbacks to carry in her purse?>>31119029
I only mention small hands because she complained about the feel of a Judge once. She had no qualms with a GP100. Could just be in her head though.
>>
>>31119029
I got ahead of myself and actually neglected to recommend anything.

CZ75 compact. If she's carrying it in a handbag it is a lot less prone to catching than many other similarly sized weapons, if you're taking it out in a hurry. It's one of the better balanced compacts. There's a few variations of this (they may just be marked as CZ 75 Compact, I've also seen "Czech Police issue" and a few other things like that.) but all basically fill the same role.

Grips are interchangeable. If she finds that too large, there's a smaller version called the 2075 RAMI but I don't know if there's many of those outside of Europe.
>>
>>31119071
Yeah that's the fucking dumbest thing to do.

Some nigger comes and tries to mug her, what's the first thing the go for? Fuckin purse. Great, now you armed a felon.

Have her keep it on her body and stress the importance. Women clothes doesn't typically facilitate weapons well but AIWB and 4 o'clock are the best and comfiest ways for a woman to carry typically given their wider hips. Small of back is fuckin dumb too and so is ankle and shoulder rigs. Some girls like bra-rigs but they're a bitch to get into.
>>
>>31118951
my first handgun was a Glock 19, can confirm solid choice
>>
File: DSC_0003.jpg (305KB, 2705x489px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0003.jpg
305KB, 2705x489px
My '51 Wingmaster. 1/4
>>
>>31119071
Not a great idea. It's prone to catching onto things and I don't know if you've ever asked a woman to find something in her bag or purse, but it usually involves her finding a large flat surface and spreading the contents out to find whatever it was in the sea of rubbish she carries about.
>>
>>31119071
>Any drawbacks to carry in her purse?
Off body carry is bad. Two minutes on Google ought to convince even her.
>>
File: DSC_0010.jpg (868KB, 3085x1241px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0010.jpg
868KB, 3085x1241px
>>31119122
>>
>>31119125
wow, you do actually know something

now git
>>
File: DSC_0014.jpg (954KB, 2573x1709px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0014.jpg
954KB, 2573x1709px
>>31119133
>>
File: DSC_0011.jpg (717KB, 3215x1105px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0011.jpg
717KB, 3215x1105px
>>31119148
>>
>>31119108
Well my wife isn't a fucking idiot and won't let a nigger get that close to her without getting suspicious. That being said, I never even considered that. She typically wears skirts and dresses for work and bra rigs are completely out of the question.

>>31119105
How easy are CZs to come by outside of ordering them? I've shot my buddie's P07, and I wouldn't feel bad with her owning a CZ.
>>
>>31119122
No idea how old the Wingmaster I'm getting is, but I know my grandfather had it for a long time. He had another with some Magpul on it. Should I take the plunge and do the same with this one?
>>
>>31119173
Blacks are quick, man, we bred them that way.

Tell her to start wearing slacks and get a small nine for AIWB between 11:30 and 12:30. Or she could feasibly pocket carry too, depending on the size of the firearm. She can keep it up front and available at all times, sitting at a desk / in the car still offers easy access, if she were ever attacked and were to be on her back, she can still get a hold of it and fight.
>>
File: b&a.jpg (81KB, 937x353px) Image search: [Google]
b&a.jpg
81KB, 937x353px
>>31119191
It's easy, two or three letters on the barrel. XX is December 1951.

Are you suggesting putting Magpul furniture on a vintage 870? I'd say don't. The only things I've done to mine are inlay the rollmarks and refurbish the stock.
>>
>>31119227
>we bred them that way
My fucking sides. I appreciate the advice. She's never carried before, but her boobs are pretty big. Any idea if that factors at all with that positioning?
>>
File: nido_Remington.jpg (80KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
nido_Remington.jpg
80KB, 960x720px
>>31119162
Looks nice, very clean. You should send it to me :^
Also why the shit is that thing uncocked?

>>31119191
nice dubs but fuck no
>>
>>31119250
Gotcha. Is your for recreation or home defense or anything like that? I plan on using this for home defense, and I've heard that birdshot is best. I live in a house not an apartment. Any suggestions?
>>
>>31119250
This. Leave the classic alone, unless you want to fine sand the wood and stain with linseed oil or something. Magpul is mostly garbage on a shotgun, anyway.

That's a beauty, anon.
>>
>>31119257
Nawh, more weight up front will suck but Appendix is the way to go. If you get a "double action" striker gun like the G43 or PPS its a very safe method and the gun is easy to conceal.
>>
>>31119297
Thanks a lot. I'm leaning towards a G43 for her now.

>>31119287
I'll take that advice on the Magpul. I'll save me $200.
>>
File: DSC_0012.jpg (831KB, 2573x1709px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0012.jpg
831KB, 2573x1709px
>>31119258
Thank you. I usually dry-fire a weapon after safety checking it.

>>31119282
I'm going to keep the 30 inch for hunting, get a 18 inch barrel, add a +1 mag extension, and sling swivels.

>>31119287
Thank you, too. I used Danish oil.

Saved it from a pawn shop for $250, looked like it literally wasn't cleaned for 65 years and the only pitting is a few spots on the outside of the receiver, no internal issues.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.