[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What radio do I buy.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 11

File: 2353215346.jpg (16KB, 355x355px) Image search: [Google]
2353215346.jpg
16KB, 355x355px
What radio do I buy.
>>
Nice Quads.
>>
buy the Radio Shack Fieldmaster 2000 with the extra large knobs and waterproof coating for outdoor use.
>>
This one
https://www.amazon.com/Baofeng-Newest-Walkie-Talkie-5-watt/dp/B00BLPCAZG
>>
>>31111049
Can't go wrong with a RCA Victor.
>>
UV-5R or any of its associated designs. Buy a good antenna too
>>
File: IMG_20160825_225504.jpg (520KB, 1448x1075px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160825_225504.jpg
520KB, 1448x1075px
>>31111049

I have the one you have pictured, the UV-5R5. I put the 3800mah extended battery and an aftermarket antenna on it. Works great, battery life is insane with the larger battery.
>>
What would be a good radio to talk to my friend that is 30 miles away.
>>
>>31111138
Recommendations/Reasons?
>>
>>31111161

It's not really about the radio, it's more about what antenna you have and/or if you are going to use a repeater. 30 miles you're gonna need a good stationary antenna mounted up high, or a repeater closeby.
>>
What do I do if I essentially just want a glorified walkie talkie.
>>
>>31111205

Depends if you want to break the law or not. A UV-5R can talk on FRS/GMRS frequencies and you can talk to people who have those blisterpack walkie-talkies, but transmitting @ 4 watts on those freqs is illegal. Just don't get caught by the FCC goons.
>>
File: 1469802133460.png (616KB, 900x1136px) Image search: [Google]
1469802133460.png
616KB, 900x1136px
>>31111218
Use the low power transmission. Unless you are transmitting right next to a police station, not many people care or worry about speaking on public allowed frequencies.

Useful infograph
>>
>>31111218
How do they even catch you specifically?
>>
>>31111238
triangulation
>>
>>31111238
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmitter_hunting
>>
real quick question on the radio syntax/voice procedure?
like in Generation Kill they say:
"Godfather, Godfather, this is Hitman two one actual, over."
where can i learn what all this jargon means? is it like a thing where you kinda have to just go to basic training or can you get a guide/book to prepare for it before you ship?
>>
>>
>>31111049
If you want something that'll work just fine as a basic radio just get one of the baofeng UV-5R variants. I'd suggest against the high power ones.

>>31111271
>[person I'm calling], [person I'm calling], this is [my name], over
Pretty standard stuff. I mean, the military uses some kind of naming system, but you can just use your ham callsign or something....
>>
File: shtf_frequency_list_2013e_500.png (300KB, 500x776px) Image search: [Google]
shtf_frequency_list_2013e_500.png
300KB, 500x776px
>>31111343
Do you happen to have a call sign yourself? How does one go about getting technician licence?
>>
>>31111406
Indeed I do! I've been a ham for several years, and I was issued a license some years ago when I took a test. Mine is KJ6_ _ _, from which you can tell the round about time I got my license, and that I'm in CA. The full callsign can be used to find out basically everything about my through the FCC database, so I'll leave the rest out for now....

Anyways, head on over to the ARRL website, go to "licensing, education, and training" and it'll give you some useful information about the licensing process. Essentially you need to find a test session and pay a small fee (like $10 or something), sit down, do fairly well on the test, and you'll be issued a license by the FCC shortly after. I wouldn't recommend finding a group class through their website, studying on your own is easy enough, and there are tons of resources online.

Also, you can take all 3 tests in one sitting and go straight to extra class if you study up or get lucky. It's worth a shot since you only pay one testing fee. Realistically, getting licensed is very easy, and if you're buying a baofeng, there's no reason not to take an afternoon to read through a test prep book and get a ham license.
>>
>>31111496
Many thanks. I wanna get my tech so I can doncomms during hurricanes. Also, isn't it possible to send small amounts of data using ham?
>>
>>31111406
all you really need to do is learn all the things the FCC says you should know, then take a test in person someplace, usually nearby
I used hamstudy.org for studying
it costs like 15 bucks or something its nothing

the trouble is, memorizing FCC stuff is kind of an asskicker sometimes imo, because every band has its own little set of rules and I still today need to look that shit up all the time, probably because I'm a tad inexperienced though

most people use one of ARRL's books, which are kinda cheap and last longer than their year ranges imply (they add questions to the tests sometimes, not a big deal)
the books are pretty helpful, especially if you don't normally into radio or electricity stuff
without the book I would have had a hard time not panicking, because they choose like 30+ questions out of hundreds and hundreds, so there are a couple strategies on studying, and luck was no small part of mine
every question and answer is freely available though

>>31111496
are you an extra then? how much harder is it than general?
>>
>>31111546
the test costs 15ish I mean, not the dumb flashcard site
>>
>>31111546
I'm a general. I probably should have gone for the extra, but I hadn't studied a great deal at the time, and this was before I really knew my shit. At this point, it would probably be really easy to get, but I'm an Electrical Engineer working with high end RF shit so.... I've heard it's a decent sized step up from general, though it doesn't really grant you many more privileges in all honesty. I wouldn't really recommend going that far out of your way to get it.
>>
>>31111271
"Two-one actual" means he is Solider one (leader) of subelement (squad, vehicle etc) two and talking to you in person.
Let's say you are calling two-one but the Captain is busy with something else, his Lt or comms dude would still answer and relay your message. He would then answer as two- one, but without the "actual".

There is a basic Field Manual for this stuff but I am not american, so I doubt one in German would help you.
>>
File: concerto2-side.png (792KB, 1100x900px) Image search: [Google]
concerto2-side.png
792KB, 1100x900px
>>31111049
Isn't that a walkie talkie?
>>
>>31111643
isn't that a tape player?
>>
>>31111650
Yeah, it can play dvds and tapes too I guess. Mainly i think it is radio mostly though.
>>
File: 1445852511585.jpg (101KB, 429x408px) Image search: [Google]
1445852511585.jpg
101KB, 429x408px
>>31111643
>not radio 3
fucking casual
>>
>>31111149
What antenna?
>>
File: sigint_satellitesinscale.jpg (130KB, 800x572px) Image search: [Google]
sigint_satellitesinscale.jpg
130KB, 800x572px
>>31111251
Or by satellites, pic. related.

Reminder: if you do not know how to work a radio chances are you will be located within seconds. That doe snot mean burly dudes with bulging dark suits will be there, just that you will be recorded, logged, voice printed, correlated with other data. All this automatically and within seconds.

There is a reason why there is a Signal Service and it takes time to learn the skills to avoid being caught out by an enemy.
>>
>>31111049
As always the one closest to what the govy uses as you can get.
>>
When i watch the show cops. I noticed officers having their ear piece in their head.

Now is this connected to the radio ?
>>
>>31112330
So where can we learn?
>>
>>31112528

No its connected to nothing. They do this to look cool.
>>
>>31111496

Which models are capable of frequency hopping?

I've been awake for 24 hours now research is hard.
>>
Why Baofeng over say Motorolla?
>>
>>31111176
>>31111161
Also depends on terrain. You're not gonna hit 30 miles with a handheld (unless maybe you're both on a mountaintop with a clear valley between you).
If you're both in valleys with a mountain between you then no amount of power or antenna will get through unless there's a repeater on the mountain.

>>31111496
>>31111576
Sup cal-bro, KG6___ here, general too. Thinking of upgrading to extra for no other reason than to get a shorter callsign, mine gets confused over voice (homophones) and it gets annoying to have to speak it in phonetics all the time.
>>
>>31112725
I'm fairly certain that frequency hopping is not allowed on ham bands. No amateur gear I know of is capable of it. The only frequency hopping gear I know of is various motorola handhelds, but they're commercial, and hence rather expensive.
>>
File: 263178.jpg (133KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
263178.jpg
133KB, 1000x1000px
>>31111049
UV-82

>>31112737
$
>>
File: kx2_large.jpg (185KB, 1600x1158px) Image search: [Google]
kx2_large.jpg
185KB, 1600x1158px
>>31112680
Get a license, you learn a lot there.
Many also got their licenses while being in Signal Service where you really need to know these skills. Thus a lot of hams are ex military guys and also girls. In general:
- use lowers possible radiated power, avoid temptation of kilo watt grade amps
- use directive antennas - you don't want to broadcast
- be brief on the net, don't waste your or others' time
- avoid excessive tune ups
- be proficient in Q and Z codes
- learn morse code

In a post nuclear war scenario where satellites are fried you will always be able to communicate using morse across the entire world on the HF band using pic. related grade radios.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.