[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

870 vs Mossberg

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: Guns.jpg (136KB, 799x337px) Image search: [Google]
Guns.jpg
136KB, 799x337px
870 vs Mossberg 500/590

Which one is better.

Also what makes the 590 so much better than the 500 tactical besides the metal trigger guard?
>>
>>31099163
>870 vs Mossberg 500/590
>Which one is better.

Neither, that's why this exact thread gets made 168476847 times a year. There's something to be said for Remington's current QC, but both designs are solid.

>what makes the 590 so much better than the 500 tactical besides the metal trigger guard?

IIRC just a bunch of minor stuff like being all metal and having a bayonet lug.
>>
File: Victorinox Cadet.jpg (40KB, 576x604px) Image search: [Google]
Victorinox Cadet.jpg
40KB, 576x604px
>>31099333
Nice digits.

I've basically seen that it's mostly ergo and how you like the poosition safety and the little rack-the-slide-button.

Next question: Are pistol grip shotguns with stocks better than traditional ones like in pic related? I know you can't really have a stock on the 500 and operate the safety
>>
>>31099163
Mossberg

No, the QC issues on the 870 are not a meme, shit DID go very south after Cerbfucks.
>>
My vote is for the Mossberg 500. new 870s are trash.
>>
>>31099380
Fuddlore is that a traditional stock "points" more naturally, like picking up a stick and pointing it.

Personally I think a pistol grip is just as natural, but I do see the rational. The pistol grip was invented, I believe, to facilitate a straight trigger pull in a rifle (and to allow designs where the stock is directly in line with the recoil), but that's kind of wasted on a pump shotgun.
>>
Maverick 88

> less than $200
> more reliable than you will ever need
> lack of customization options prevents bubba cancer and home gunsmith-induced malfunctions
> eats every shell you will feed it
> if you ever use it in a self defense situation, you can pick up another no sweat

I own 6
>>
File: Howdah pistol.jpg (127KB, 2320x874px)
Howdah pistol.jpg
127KB, 2320x874px
>>31099380
>Are pistol grip shotguns with stocks better than traditional ones

Pistol grip stocks are just another preference thing, some people like them and some people don't. If you want to get super duper technical then just about all non-straight stocks are pistol grips, but in the old style.
>>
>>31099163
I formally worked at a major sporting goods chain and had plenty of opportunities to fondle both of these. I can't speak much for the long term endurance of either design, as I haven't shot a 'new' 870, but I can tell you what things I noticed mechanically.

870: single extractor, more ergonomic slide release, more intuitive safety, less metal-soundy slide

500: double extractor (so possibly more durable considering redundancy in parts), and then the opposite of all the previous details.

Generally, the 500's felt a little more solid, but that's entirely based on feel.

That all being said, get a Mav 88, it's mechanically identical to a 500 except with a better slide release position and for like $100 less.
>>
>>31099702
Is the maverick 88 actually good? I wouldn't have a problem spending the extra $100 for increased reliability, or are they exactly the same? Becaus i wouldn't have a problem saving $100 either kek
>>
>>31099883
>>31099702
i want to know this too thx in the market
>>
>>31099883
>>31099892
Honestly, I don't know off hand, but you're talking about a pump, so the mechanical reliability is already pretty high. That being said, I don't know about the specific tolerances, like if the firing pin strikes well or if the feeding is consistent, but it's really hard to do those sorts of things wrong and yet still be on the market. If it makes you feel any better, they are made by Mossberg, and if you buy them new, you can get warranties or stuff of the sort
>>
I don't like loading gates so definitely the mossberg 500 or any variant
>>
An old 870 or a gone through new 870 is best. All things are basically equal so it comes down to the small differences. The 870 safety is in a better spot. With a larger safety you can click it off as you put your finger on the trigger. It is much faster and easier. Slug transition on a 'berg sucks and takes a lot of fine motor skill. The 870 is caveman simple to do without losing a round or requiring impossible to complete action under stress. So, it is simple then.
An old Wingmaster is the best of this bunch.
>>
>>31099883
>>31099883
Mav88 differs from the 500 in having the safety on the triggerguard. It also has a 1 piece foreend pinned to the feed arms, unlike the 500s foreend slid onto a separate piece that is then screwed to the feed arms (facilitates replacing foreend for a custom one). Luckily, the 500 foreend assembly will fit onto a 88 if you ever want to upgrade. All 88/500 parts are interchangeable besides the trigger group, which means you have access to all of the 500s aftermarket parts with the 88. Mav88 is cheaper because parts are made in Mexico and assembled in texas, whereas 500s are totally domestic made . If you want to get more than 1 barrel for the same gun, I suggest the 18.5 inch barrel version because that lug placement is most common on spare barrels. Some say that one is better balanced, anyways. I highly suggest the mav88, as I am a righty so screw an ambidextrous safety.
T. Satisfied 20" bbl mav88 owner
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website.
If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan.
This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.