[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Two questions pertaining to the military. First, when joining

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: CpsuePwWgAEV8ZZ.jpg (64KB, 450x501px) Image search: [Google]
CpsuePwWgAEV8ZZ.jpg
64KB, 450x501px
Two questions pertaining to the military.

First, when joining the military, how much do previous skills determine your position, rank etc.?

I mean aside from, for example, already being an MD or a linguist. Say you are fluent in one or two other languages, or you have had a lot of experience with martial arts, etc.?

Second, how is it decided who works with dogs? Obviously they have to be specialized with it, just curious how a person gets that and how they get attached to units.
>>
I was actually just thinking of hand to hand combat in the military. Like what kinds of advanced courses they have.
>>
>>31087788
>First, when joining the military, how much do previous skills determine your position, rank etc.?
>I mean aside from, for example, already being an MD or a linguist. Say you are fluent in one or two other languages, or you have had a lot of experience with martial arts, etc.?
Very, very little unless it's actual college credits. Army has a program for it though where if you have a very specific set of skills they decided are in rare supply you can get in as an E4 but that's the absolute best you'll get unless your MOS itself comes with an instant promotion.

>Second, how is it decided who works with dogs? Obviously they have to be specialized with it, just curious how a person gets that and how they get attached to units.
You find the MOS, sign up for it and hope you make the cut.
>>
>>31087788
Rank is based off of kill count. Just like in Call of Duty.
>>
>>31087922
So what if I were to walk in with a bachelor's degree in Cybersecurity and a few certs in the Airforce?
>>
>>31087980
You'd start at Airman First Class (E-3) when you get out of basic training and then go through your MOS training. That's if you enlisted.
>>
>>31087788
I hunted nearly every day of my life before enlisting. I got an expect qualification for rifle marksmanship in BASIC. I even knew the ins and outs of the AR type platform years before considering the Army.

I got chosen to by the logical grace of the US military to use the SAW.

What you're good at or what you want to do matters very little to an entity that needs to fill the gaps.
>>
>>31087788
Unless you commission as an officer, and have a bachelors, who you are and what you're good at means nothing to the military.
>>
>>31087788
You'll get paid more for a foreign language or put in intelligence. In the Marines at least if you're Intel you get more money for your language than you usually would if you weren't Intel.

In the infinite wisdom of the military I knew a Marine that spoke Mandarin, who of course was never utilized to translate anything in Chinese.
>>
>>31087788
>I mean aside from, for example, already being an MD or a linguist. Say you are fluent in one or two other languages, or you have had a lot of experience with martial arts, etc.?

You appear to have a grave misunderstanding of how much of a fuck the military gives about you.

>Second, how is it decided who works with dogs? Obviously they have to be specialized with it, just curious how a person gets that and how they get attached to units.

You sign up to be a dog handler, go through the course, pass. You now work with doggos.
>>
>>31087788
Oh and
>Martial arts
Lol MCSLAP or combatives and that's it they literally don't give a shit. I've only ever seen a guy that was a competition shooter get fucked with on a range. Still shot close to range high. Probably would have if people weren't fucking with him
>>
>>31088012
Ah, thanks!

And if I didn't enlist instead?
>>
>>31088291

you'd be an officer.

i commissioned as a 2nd Lt with a STEM MS under my belt.
>>
>>31088291
You'd be going the wrong direction if you got a bachelor's and then went in. Just be a civilian with a good job. There's no point in being in now. Unless you want to be an officer but then you'll rarely do anything MOS related.
>>
>>31087788
Say OP for once wasn't a faggot, what then?
>>
>>31088310
>>31088323
Huh, thanks guys.

Considering there's a military base nearby where I live and a company that's in need of cyber anyway, guess I'll go civvie then.

My only regret would be not getting to go full-giggle.
>>
>>31087788
I like that dog
>>
>>31088582
I wanna fuck it.
>>
File: 1458399207845.jpg (85KB, 365x720px) Image search: [Google]
1458399207845.jpg
85KB, 365x720px
Pretend your going to Prison not the military then answer your own question
>>
>>31088564
You wouldn't anyways except for a few rounds before deploying when you go weapons qual.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.