[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help me design a railgun.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

Ok here is the situation, I have a 5x 3900uF 400v capacitors giving me about 1974.375 Joules of energy. but my efficiency is somewhere around ~3-4% conversion. I think i have basic functionality sorted but need some help designing the feed mechanism. Anything would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>31087487
Don't fix what isn't broken, faggot.
>>
>>31087487
A bolt made of nonconductive nonferrous material with a decent thermal profile. A dart should load into the bolt, the trigger depression should engage forward placing the dart into the contact/firing position with the rails/magnet coil, trigger release should return the bolt home and allow a new dart to load
>>
>>31087533
the problem with an open rail design with the size bank im using is that if i feed the projectile into the rails at less than ~50 ft/s it gets welded in between the two rails.
>>
>>31087552
battery-powered cocking mechanism fed to a striker-style plunger to achieve proper feeding velocity?
>>
>>31087552
use co2 or nitrogen to feed the projectile.
a bolt mechanism similar to that of a blowback airsoft gun.

a gas injecting piston fires the projectile in the barrel and cycles the bolt.
>>
>>31087614
So port off gas from behind the projectile and use that to move the gas valve into an "off" position.
>>
>>31087552
Are you PWM driving the rails or just dumping the whole load all at once?
>>
>>31087653
All discharged at once.
>>
>>31087552
Dedicate one capacitor to discharging a solenoid to drive the projectile into the rails?
>>
>>31087693
Give me a minute
>>
>>31087687

You might try coating the rails and projectile with a graphite coating of some kind. A Graphite Sabot would be even better. It acts as a dry lubricant, is electrically neutral, and should significantly reduce the chance of parts welding.

As for efficiency, You have a time varying Resistive/Inductive load... I really don't know enough to say much more (I'm an EE but work with mostly embedded stuff)

Here's something else that might help ya: http://digitalcommons.calpoly.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1059&context=aerosp

Looks like they used a pneumatic injector.
>>
File: File_000(1).gif (2MB, 240x160px) Image search: [Google]
File_000(1).gif
2MB, 240x160px
>>31087722
sorry about quality i had to convert a 55MB file to under 4MB
>>
>>31087863
thanks anon
>>
>>31087487
>giving me about 1974.375

Sigfigs, nigga, Jesus Christ.
>>
>>31087978
Make a webm of it you ape.
>>
>>31088118
I did, it was 9.3MB
>>
>>31088109
~2kJ
>>
>>31087978

Then why didn't you convert it to webm instead of a gif?
>>
>>31088164
because it says its greater than 3MB which is the max file size.
>>
>>31087863
Embeded as in mounted??
>>
>>31088136
>>31088185
If you're using webm for retards, there's a handy bitrate option that you can set that'll fix those problems. If you're using ffmpeg from terminal, use the -b:v flag.
>>
>>31088136

http://video.online-convert.com/convert-to-webm

Here, check the video's properties in your media player, (resolution, bitrate, etc.) that link will let you edit them to get the filesize down.

Just remember when you're reducing the resolution to reduce the height by the same magnitude as the width (IE, 50% for both).
>>
>>31087552
You rememer those Hot Wheel car launchers? Or any sportball thrower, or even the Mythbusters card thrower?
Just the a spinning wheel that you feel the projectile into that kicks it up to speed.
It should be very basic to build and work rather well.
>>
File: File_000.webm (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
File_000.webm
3MB, 1920x1080px
Here you go.
>>
>>31088400
okay first of all, nice dubs. second, i'm not exactly electronically inclined so forgive my ignorance. explain to me what exactly i'm looking at on this video at what points, please?
>>
>>31088400
That's a coilgun
>>
>>31088430
>Dedicate one capacitor to discharging a solenoid to drive the projectile into the rails?
>Dedicate one capacitor to discharging a solenoid to drive the projectile into the rails?

It was me trying out this guys idea for a coilgun injection. The display panel reads the voltage on the capacitor bank which is rated to about 400v, but im running it off a rectified 12-220V inverter which just basically converts ac to dc. then the circuit with the push button coming off of it connects an SCR which dumps all the current through the coil, which i had a nail in that shot about 5 feet.
>>
>>31088475
Sorry was a fag and pasted twice.
>>
>>31088475
okay so with the kind of voltage OP is packing is it possible that a coilgun would be more feasible than a railgun?
>>
>>31088495
very well might be, but coilguns dont look as cool.
>>
>>31088495
Yeah. He'd be better off with a multistage coilgun. Air injection is a poor man's way of building a railgun, and you're not going to reach higher efficiencies without a lot more current density to prevent spot welding a stationary armature. Basically, air injection leads to poor rail contact.
>>
>>31088534
So if you ARE going for a railgun.... what's a better alternative to air injection?
>>31088517
function over fashion
>>
>>31088553
With my cap bank i'll be happy if i get BB gun levels of power
>>
>>31088569
I feel like if things were done just right with the right amount of power and the right materials you could have a very real and very decent weapon
>>
>>31087487
just shove a few down some niggers mouth then taze him in the bumhole.
>>
>>31087487
Add a portable nuclear reactor
Head over to /Diy/ if you want specifics
>>
>>31088553
Don't use an open rail design. Use a nylon rammer with a pneumatic cylinder and use a thyristor as a switch. Trigger your cap bank while you're ramming. Timing would be key to it working. Also, make your armature as small as possible and your rails as short and close together as possible to get higher current densities.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.