[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Magazine Preferences

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 11

File: 20160823_162334.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20160823_162334.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
So I just got done reloading my magazines and that made me wonder....What are your general loading preferences. Do you just load up 3 or 4 magazines? Specific Ammo types in specific magazines?

In Pic
TL 77gr TMK (PMAG Windowed)
TR Mod 262 (PMAG G3 Std)
Bottom XM193 (Stanag)

What about you /k/?
>>
File: 14719961014111986728200.jpg (595KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
14719961014111986728200.jpg
595KB, 2048x1152px
I pretty much never shoot more than 10 rounds at a time so that is all I will load up right before I line up to shoot... I tried my new sand 40 round on at with a 40 round mag dump and got bored half way through... I have three Pmags loaded with my 75gr bthp hot loads and the dust covers on.
>>
File: CRAYOLA AP.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
CRAYOLA AP.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>31085705
I keep all my AR mags loaded to full capacity whenever I can.
But that takes over 1000 rounds of ammo.
So sadly, over half of my AR mags are empty atm.
Pistol mags is another story, 15+ mags for the P226, all loaded to full capacity with plenty of 9mm to spare.
>>
I keep two mags full for my AR but the rest of them empty. Ill load them up if I need to or if im going to the range for an afternoon.

Quick question, why do my friends call me an idiot for spending spare cash on ammo when they blow all their cash on gambling and smoking?
>>
File: stop.jpg (25KB, 364x302px) Image search: [Google]
stop.jpg
25KB, 364x302px
>>31086090
you're friends are idiots who cant understand how anyone could possibly be interested in anything beside the few retarded things they are hooked on or obsessed with
>>
>>31085811
whats the point? your ammo is now more exposed to the elements, its less attractive for people to buy if you want to sell it, its not easily countable, mags are now more easily broken if dropped. whats the point? i can understand having a few mags fully loaded for emergencies, but having over 30 loaded mags seems wasteful, especially if you arent sure whether loaded mags will ruin the springs or feedlips over extended periods of time. which i am skeptical about feedlip stability in plastic mags like magpul
>>
>>31086155
Thats what I thought. My argument is at least ammo is useful
>>
>>31086209
ammo is never getting cheaper. its a good investment. this are the lowest prices ammo has seen in decades, we are pretty much back down to the pre-2008 prices. the value of ammo can only go up from here. i am actually in the process of removing $3,000 from my IRA to invest it in ammo instead
>>
>>31086192
holy shit dude, you're either trolling hard or you worry too much about things that will never happen.
I'm not even going to try and explain it
>>
>>31086233
Thats a very good point. Whelp time to go purchase some more
>>
>>31086258
im worrying about things that will never happen? when will you need 35 fully loaded ar15 mags at your disposal? lmao. to each his own, i dont care i just was asking what your reasoning is. to me, i only load mags in anticipation of a range trip or to have a few ready for home defense. i guess if you were really bored one day opening up 50 boxes of 223 and loading bullets into mags would be something to do
>>
>>31086377
SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED
>>
>>31085705
dont keep the pmags loaded, the feed lips will bend over time.
>>
File: mt brass.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
mt brass.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>31086377
>what your reasoning is
1) Boxes of ammo take up space
2) Pouches of empty magazines take up space
3) I have a limited amount of space for guns/ammo storage
4) Keeping my ammo loaded in my magazines basically cuts the use of space in half
5) mags springs do not wear out from being loaded.
6) my magazines and ammo whether loaded or unloaded are kept in a clean controlled environment until they're being used.
7) I don't buy ammo as an investment or to store long term. So "resale value" is not a concern
8) Regardless, I can go through 1000 rounds of ammo in a matter of a few months. So, again not buying it for long term storage
>>
>>31086377
> when
January 20th 2017
>>
I load them with one expanding round then two armor-piercing rounds. That way when I Mozambique drill my enemies their heads explode in an extremely satisfying manner.
>>
File: 20160823_180148-resize.jpg (4MB, 3024x2268px) Image search: [Google]
20160823_180148-resize.jpg
4MB, 3024x2268px
>>31086377
>>31085705
Op Here.
I keep 6 Mags of XM193 4 of the MOD 262 and 2 of the 77 TMK's in my Go bag at all times.
Pic should be self explanatory as to why.
>>
>>31086396
http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/magazine-springs-and-ammo-cycling/

i think common sense and personal experience have convinced me that leaving all my mags loaded would not be a safe bet. the science is just not fully understood, and like that article says there are too many variations in metallurgy to give any definite answers. id rather play it safe and just load what i need and cycle them around than keep everything under stress and risk having them all be worthless in 10 years. then again, maybe OP shoots his 1,000 rounds of loaded mags every month and cycles them out so its a non issue for him

>>31086426
i said that too in my earlier post. another reason i dont leave them loaded. especially if their storage location is prone to warmth/heat. the plastic will get soft and under stress take on a new shape. the same principle of 3d printing...
>>
File: 1430864679916.gif (1MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
1430864679916.gif
1MB, 320x180px
>>31086476
>that picture
>i cant tell which way is up
>getting dizzy just looking at it
>>
>>31086468
ok those are valid points and that actually makes a lot of sense now that you gave that context but in regards to #5...i just dont think you can say that definitively. i dont think i would 100% trust mags that were left loaded for 10 years versus ones that were fresh out of a wrapper
>>
>>31086426
is this true of all pmags or just a certain gen?
>>
>>31086484
>OP shoots his 1,000 rounds
Op Here
Maybe 250 rounds of XM193 a month. Probably 150 of MOD 262/77 TMK's.
>>
>>31086476
>>31086476
if you are law enforcement, dont they have regulations on forcing you to rotate the ammo in your mags? like once every 3 months or something? also, are all those listed rounds "department approved"? is this your personal kit bag or one for duty/work?
>>
File: 20160823_180148-resize.jpg (3MB, 3024x1696px) Image search: [Google]
20160823_180148-resize.jpg
3MB, 3024x1696px
>>31086495
Better?
>>
>>31086535
forgot to ask also, do you mark your mags externally so you know which rounds/loads are loaded? what do you use, colored tape?
>>
File: CERULEAN AP.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
CERULEAN AP.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>31086502
>in regards to #5...i just dont think you can say that definitively.
okay i wont argue that point.

I have seen reports and articles and have been told over and over that they don't wear out but my instincts do still tell me its wrong.

Either way, I have a variety of mags and theyre all labeled. I try to rotate through which ones get used. (First ones loaded are the first ones to get emptied at the range, sort of.)
also since they're all individually numbered if one ever gives me any trouble, I will note which one it is and remove it from rotation until i figure out what its problem is.
>>
File: Response.png (6KB, 363x103px) Image search: [Google]
Response.png
6KB, 363x103px
>>31086523
>dont they have regulations
1) factory Loads from lots purchased in quantities greater than 500 rounds with 15 rounds chosen(by Gun Cage Guys) to qualify with from different boxes in that load to shoot no greater than 1.3 MOA at 100y.
2) No Hand loads period.
3) 1 year with yearly qualifications for each firearm and load you carry.
4) Personal Kit Bag

>>31086542
>mark your mags
No. I use different types of Magazine for each of ammo and empty one either before I move to the next then refill and rotate.
>>
>>31086495
Nigga just look at the handles on the dresser. The photo is looking down.

I keep a few fully loaded in my safe for no real reason but most are unloaded, still new and wrapped in their original packaging. I live in an apartment so I won't be using my AR for home defense, so no need to access them quickly.
I only ever really use one per rifle I take to the range, and even then I usually only load 10 rounds or so at a time. The extras I just keep in case over time I fuck up the one I'm using too badly and need a spare. They'll never be cheaper than they are right now and they don't go bad sitting in a dark closet so why not have a bunch, even if I'll probably never use them? I'm happy with how many I have now though so I just put the money into ammo instead.
>>
>>31086595
How often do you use your rifle as a cop? The only time I've ever seen a cop use one was when I happened to drive by a sheriff shooting an injured deer on the side of the highway as he shot it. Other than that I've seen cops in NYC carrying them but I'm almost certain the NYPD doesn't ever use them outside of SWAT units.
>>
>>31086753
Depends on the situation. One time a Fellow Deputy had his out 5 times in one tour. Another time he was sitting on the back side of a house for 5 hours the entire time. I use mine when a standoff comes into play(rural Farm house with an 200 yard driveway etc) or I am going to be away from my vehicle for an extended period of time. I have a chest rig setup but I very rarely use it. Mostly in training for reload drills. Part of the training is realizing your not a one man Seal Team and you know when to back off.
>>
>>31086502
>in regards to #5...i just dont think you can say that definitively.
I have a master's degree in mechanical engineering. I can assure you that metals do not fatigue under static load. Creep will not be a factor until you reach ~40% of the melting point of a metal. For steel this is over 1000 degrees. Don't store your mags at or near this temperature and any quality magazine spring will be just fine.
>>
>>31086595
>they're all individually numbered
this is so smart and i really need to do this, how do you number them? sharpie on baseplate?
>>
>>31087015
silver sharpie if you want to see them in the dark. Best on the back lower wall of magazine so it doesn't stick out to what your aiming at.
>>
>>31086613
>2) No Hand loads period.
get rekt scrubs...
>>
>>31086803
what about polymer magazines with plastic mag bodies and plastic feed lips?
>>
File: 1461808239303.gif (40KB, 267x200px) Image search: [Google]
1461808239303.gif
40KB, 267x200px
>>31087061
Criminal Justice Folks Decisions at a state level. Not mine.

Only thing I would do is make a hotter 77gr TMK load at about 2900 FPS to really fuck peoples day up.
>>
>>31087063
Plastic can exhibit creep at room temperatures. Most polymer mags are glass filled Nylon 6/6. I couldn't tell you much about the behavior of this material without doing some digging as I mostly deal with thermoset composites. The stress level in the feed lips when fully loaded would be an important factor in whether or not substantial creep occurs and I don't know what that is.

If I recall correctly magpul recommended using the dust cover on loaded mags in storage for the first gen, but subsequently dropped this reccomendation because they found it to be unnecessary.
>>
>>31087162
doesnt rust or oxidation affect spring creep? if your mag springs lightly rust, i dont think you can expect the same performance? what about chemicals?

all i know is i had a poorly functioning AK mag, i disassembled it, and found the spring was like 60% of the length of a new spring. it had gotten formed/stuck into like a 60% compressed state. it was old surplus so i dont know if that happened from use or storage, because it was super greasy on the inside
>>
>>31087213
Corrosion would affect the stress levels in the springs, but should cause creep at low temperatures.

Cyclic loads cause wear on springs, static loading will not. That mag spring likely saw substantial use and may also have undergone some initial plastic deformation during initial use depending on how it was designed.

I am on my phone and don't want to type a whole lesson on mechanics of materials. If you want to get a better understanding for how isotropic materials like steel behave just Google mechanics of materials. Specifically what you will want to look at is Young's modulus, stress, and strain. Basically when you load a piece of steel you will get some amount of deformation (strain) that is proportional the stress level. Up to a point these are what we call elastic strains which means that the material will return to its original dimensions when you remove the load. If the load is large enough the material will deform plastically. This means the material has undergone permeant deformation and will not completely return to its original length. Most universities have webpages with info on this with handy stress-strain plots and such that will help you understand.

Fatigue is a more complex topic, but one which you can also find information on.
>>
>>31087389
>but should cause creep at low temperatures

Should not. Sorry about that.
>>
>>31087389
>>31087406
thanks will do. i suppose this explains why you can bend the spring of a magazine with pliers but it will also keep the same shape under lesser load of just pushing bullets up a mag. that said, i think metallurgy has a large effect on this.

a paper clip is easily bent out of shape with minimal force and stays that way. its the same thickness as most mag springs, which are not easily bent and want to "return" to their original shape
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.