[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

U.K. Carrier HMS Illustrious Sold for Scrap

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: 070729-N-0535P-062.jpg (678KB, 1500x2100px) Image search: [Google]
070729-N-0535P-062.jpg
678KB, 1500x2100px
https://news.usni.org/2016/08/23/u-k-carrier-hms-illustrious-sold-scrap

And the UK's proud record of failing to preserve any major warships continues.
>>
>>31085250
>sell carrier for scrap to Turkish firm
>suddenly Turkey announces they have a new carrier

I'll laugh if that happens, it'll be like Canada selling their carriers all over again.
>>
>>31085250
R-r-rule B-britania!
>>
The supercarriers are almost ready, onwards and upwards.
>>
>>31085296
>believing this could happen
Are you retarded?
>>
>>31086012
China did it with the Varyag
>>
why not put this into storage for future wars?
>>
>>31086169
>why not put this into storage for future wars?
It is 40 years old and the design is even older than that, why not keep WW2 vessels for future wars?
>>
>>31086169
Because then anti-military spending activists will try and say Britain has 3 carriers instead of 2, so they can attempt to argue that less military spending is perfectly fine.
>>
>>31086127
And they got their start with the Aussies selling them stuff.

I'm more surprised a bunch of poo in the loos didn't get the sale
>>
>>31086169
because it's a rusting piece of crap that is outdated. would you drive a 40+ y/o car that had been parked down by the ocean?
>>
>>31085250

They already failed when they allowed Dreadnought and King George V to go to the chopper.
>>
>>31085296
Hurr

http://www.businessinsider.my/turkey-is-building-an-aircraft-carrier-2016-
>>
>>31086169

It can't carry any decent aircraft anymore.
>>
>>31085250
>U.K. Carrier HMS Illustrious
Yet it flies not the Union Jack.
>>
>>31087027
>would you drive a 40+ y/o car that had been parked down by the ocean?

I WOULD IF I COULD BOMB HER MAJ'S ENEMIES FROM IT.
>>
>>31091487
Because it's a warship flying a naval ensign
>>
>>31085250

Goodbye Rusty Lusty, you served this nation well. Real shame you'll be such a bitch to maintain that we have to scrap you.

>>31089693

So Apaches, Lynxs and Chinooks don't count as decent aircraft?
>>
It simply would have cost to much to rebuild as a museum.

With all the systems taken off it that could be used on other ships or as spares it was an empty shell.
>>
>>31091547
>naval ensign
The British Ensign has a bit in the top corner.
>>
>>31091621
Yeah, I know.

It's there on the mast.
>>
>>31091542
Underrated
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.