[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Body armour

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: 1466334693875.jpg (37KB, 322x423px) Image search: [Google]
1466334693875.jpg
37KB, 322x423px
/k/ whats your opinion on dragon skin body armour? Is it good or bad and what went wrong.
>>
>>31083592
It's good in that it'll stop bullets.

It's bad in that it fucking falls apart in hot weather, cold weather, sitting the back of your car, can't get wet, can't get muddy, can't drop it often.

Fuck this shit, I'm going with AR500 plates and carrier, they do the job and are notably cheaper.
>>
>>31083638
Is it that bad?
>>
>>31084787

They have questionable reliability. That's all you need to know.
>>
>>31084787
Dragons succumbed to natural selection for a reason.
>>
>>31083638
It cant be that bad. They had prooved that it can work in all of those informants and can out last the other plates. What is your proof?
>>
>>31083638
But anon future weapons guy said it would revolutionize warfare
>>
its shit. Just grab some level 4 ceramic plates from bulletproofme for like $140 a plate.
>>
>>31083592
>what went wrong?

Couple of generals back in early 2000 were tasked to research a better option than the in use body armor the individual body armor or the IBA.

I think the last two choices were drangon skin and the IOTV design. Then absolutely shit on dragon skin and chose IOTV for the Army to use for soldiers.

After a year those two retired out of the military are started working for the company that is contracted to the army that makes the IOTV.

So to me it was a what couldve been a kickass body armor. Not sure about the cons of it. Like the other anon said it was featured on futureweapons.

Didnt hear anything after that
>>
>>31084972
Noted. Any kits you would recommend?
>>
>>31083592
https://www.quora.com/Why-was-Dragon-Skin-armor-rejected-by-the-U-S-Army
There you go
>>
>>31083638
Yeah but that was years ago with like the 4th prototype or something.
It takes a while to develop something so assuming it had only been in the works for a few years and has been years since we've heard of it doing anything and ASSUMING they are still working on it... they should have it almost perfected.
That is of course just wishful thinking.
>>
>>31085854
Even if it worked as intended, you're talking about a vest that weighs almost twice as much. It's the same reason the military won't go for AR500, it doesn't offer anything real over the current issue. Yeah, it can take lots and lots of repeated hits, but that's not the point of armor, it's a saving grace, a second chance to buy you enough time to get to cover.

Besides it's not like one shot turns the plate into a piece of drywall.

That said, the last I remember is they completed the criteria to get their NIJ rating, SUPPOSEDLY, but had a documentation issue of the tests so it was rejected.

Too much shady shit surrounds dragon skin, they really need to put out some amazing performance tests without doubling the weight to actually go anywhere.
>>
>>31084885
Well he has brain cancer so what does that tell you?
>>
>>31086023
Their second NIJ rating test had documentation issues. Their original NIJ rating was pulled after it was found out that they had been marketing their armor as NIJ rated prior to receiving their rating.
>>
>>31086629
I know, I'm just saying that's the last thing I remember hearing about it was the documentation issue.

That's what I meant by the shady shit, if I recall they said they had gotten the rating, sold a bunch to the AF, didn't actually have the rating and then claimed they were told by someone, forget who, that they had it.

And NIJ was like uhh, no that never happened.
>>
>>31086705
Pinnacle Armor said the NIJ had given them verbal permission to market their armor as NIJ certified.

The problem with Dragon Skin is that even if the claims of a conspiracy against it are true, Pinnacle Armor still looks like it's run by either idiots or the untrustworthy.
>>
>>31083592
>what went wrong

Hillary got involved
>>
It's made I Fresno. That's all yu really need to know anout it.
>>
>>31084995
>After a year those two retired out of the military are started working for the company that is contracted to the army that makes the IOTV.

This pretty much sums up everything the government does, by which I mean, they push subpar products into the market.
>>
>>31087683
That's right, that's what it was lol, verbal permission.

Like how even can you pretend shit like that is legit.
>>
>>31084995
>After a year those two retired out of the military are started working for the company that is contracted to the army that makes the IOTV.
Source?
>>
File: image.jpg (25KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25KB, 320x320px
>>31091246
>violent gangs
>meth
>crumbling infrastructure
>+100 degree heat 5 months out of the year
>stagnated job market
>overwhelming income disparity
>dangerous air quality
>severe CA drought

And the worst part is that I can't afford to leave.
>>
>>31086305
Dragon skin doesn't stop brain cancer?
>>
>>31083638
Dude.........AR500 got recalled for being ineffective

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2016/AR500-Armor-Recalls-Level-III-Body-Armor/
>>
>>31091753
Oh shit. How the fuck did I miss this?

Is this the same as their Level 3+ stuff? I knew their original level 3 plates could be penetrated by M193. Is this the same shit or are their 3+ plates brokedick too?
>>
>>31091529
Dont forget our PD is the biggest criminal organization in the county :DDD
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.