[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Archery general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8

File: theycallmeedshred.jpg (176KB, 405x640px) Image search: [Google]
theycallmeedshred.jpg
176KB, 405x640px
Anyone else here shoot a bow? Got a Hoyt Ignite 6 months ago and love the sport.

>Helpful links
http://www.archerybuff.com/category/tutorials/

http://www.public.asu.edu/~roblewis/Archery/History.htm

http://www.archeryresource.com/index.php

>range/club finder
http://www.thearcher.com/clubs/index.cfm

>what kind of bow do you own?

>do any hunting? Target? Stump?
>>
>Nordica outdoors bowhunting & cooking rabbit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHcTNdpiUTM

>100 turkeys in 90 seconds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlrChjVgzcY

>DIY carpet archery target
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHnxWuRXgO8

>Traditional Archery
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr33wr5DCMY
>>
>>31082555

I recently fulfilled my lifelong dream of owning and a bow, so I bought a Bear Montana in 50lbs.

Sadly here in Europe hunting with a bow in considered animal cruelty.

Might come in handy with the immigration problem soon.
>>
File: cheaparrows.jpg (51KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
cheaparrows.jpg
51KB, 800x600px
>>31082752
You shoot at a range or outside?

>Might come in handy with the immigration problem soon
might want to get some broadheads
>>
>>31082802

I shoot in my backyard.

Ive been getting some practise, but Im gonna sign up for some "club" eventually.

I have 3 broadheads for when SHTF.
>>
Traditionalfag here. Anyone know any good horsebows?
>>
>>31082874
I live about 3 blocks away from an archery range, so I'm a member naturally. I prefer to shoot outside with friends or in solitude though.

>>31082920
I don't sorry, I'd check Lancaster archery or a local shop if I were you though
>>
>>31082555
Stop what you're doing and watch this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEG-ly9tQGk

Lars Andersen has worked hard to debunk the Hollywood myths of modern archery, and it pays to learn what they are and how to avoid them yourself. Modern archery teaches that you need THINGS to be good, compound bows that are dangerous and expensive, fiber optic sights that won't make you a better shot, stabilizers that build in you bad habits. THESE ARE NOT THINGS THE BEST ARCHERS OF THE PAST USED. Lars scoured ancient texts to rediscover the knowledge lost to time, to corporate meddling, to help the archery community as a whole return to their practical and useful roots.

Things will not make you a better archer, practice, dedication, learning the lessons of those before you and applying them to your training, these will turn you into an archer of old proper capability.
>>
>>31083029
>he fell for the Lars Anderson meme
>>
I have a carbon extreme xlr.
Was a good bow back in its day, but now its just old tech.
Fun to screw around with though. And feels safer than the .243 when my buddy and I are drinking.
>>
>>31083632
I usually take a cold tallboy or two with me in my camelback when I go stump shooting.

It's nice for after I hike out to my shooting spot.
>>
>>31082920

>good
>horse bow

Oh man oh man.
>>
>>31082752
Which part of Europe are you in? I heard in France and Finland it's legal to hunt.
>>
File: 1471845247789.jpg (187KB, 704x821px) Image search: [Google]
1471845247789.jpg
187KB, 704x821px
>>31083029
Really, where are you getting this copy pasta. Honestly?

Did you cap it from the last thread? Are you the same anon? Is there a post somewhere where you can copy paste this?

Get new b8.
>>
I picked up an old Bear recurve a while back, got a new string made, some custom target arrows, and a sack target. Just about every day when I get home I shoot a few arrows. Love the feel, and I'm getting better a little at a time. I should say, accuracy is improving gradually now after some quick improvement the first few weeks, but the comfort, speed, and ease of use has become really great with a little practice.
I could easily hit a coyote-sized target in the vitals from 30-40 yards, and hit somewhere on a squirrel-sized one in about 20-25 with pretty quick aim. I look forward to cleaning that up a lot more with practice.
Ran into a guy in the local archery store who works for the fish & game department, and who had won a bunch of awards for competitive recurve shooting. He was nice enough to show me a few tips, was very humble about it, but I asked him to shoot mine at the indoor range there. 30-yard accuracy was better than me shooting my Glock, and I've spent a lot of time practicing with that gun. He put 10 arrows in less than the size of a dollar bill, having never shot that bow before.
>>
I have four compound bows that I bought used. I've shot them a fair amount, never got a great feel for them and got bored after a while.
I did learn that with compound bows, you need to either get your own equipment to restring them or just sell them when the string is getting past its useful life. Anybody seen Gander Mountain's prices on archery services? Geez.
>>
>>31082752
>Might come in handy with the immigration problem soon.

I wonder..Wouldn't a powerful crossbow be a better choice for nailing a home invader to a wall? You will probably get off one shot but atleast it will be aimed somewhat accurately with all the adrenaline flowing.
>>
Jesus, I wanted to get into it. Spent over $4k on shit that was all top shelf, & never did shit with it.

You'd probably like the bow...some custom shit from some guy that's archery special (Lee maybe? I don't even remember; every time I brought it up when I was "in" to it, people got all excited). You want the shit? Give me an email, it's a waste in my attic.
>>
>>31084202
my local shop will restring your compound for $10

>>31084147
how much did your sack target run you?

>>31083998
Finland
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoW1ztV6RmA
>>
>>31084247
Why bother with a bow when you can get a 12G with the same hassle.
>>
>>31084298
Europe
>>
>>31084282
why are you posting Datura(or is it a Brugmansia?)
>>
>>31084282
AWW YISS NIGGA GOTS YOU SUM OF DAT DERE DATURA YOU'S GONNA FLY TONIGHT (and tomorrow).
>>
>>31084479
That's Datura. Dunno why it was posted but a projectile laced with those toxins sounds neat.
>>
>>31082555
Mathews master race fgts
>>
File: halloween.jpg (112KB, 519x620px) Image search: [Google]
halloween.jpg
112KB, 519x620px
>>31084479
I'm about 8 beers deep fella

>>31084569
that it does

>>31084494
>

>>31084580
>matthews
How's the meth and mountain dew treating you?
>>
>>31084259

How much? Know nothing about bows but looking to get my first one.
>>
File: tumblr_inline_njh7lfyvrI1rm5lze.png (177KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_njh7lfyvrI1rm5lze.png
177KB, 500x375px
Was interested in getting my first bow, I'd like one for general innawoods shooting (whatever the bow and arrow equivalent of plinking is) and eventually hunting.

Did some reading and heard that a Diamond Infinite Edge might be a good starter? I'm 6'4 270lbs, would it be too small for me? What draw weight or do I not get that option?

Red pill me /k/
>>
>>31085110
>bow and arrow equivalent of plinking
target shooting and or stump shooting.
For target shooting you need a target, and with a powerful compound you want one that can withstand the power of one. If you want to do stump shooting you need to buy judo or blunt tips and be at peace with the fact that you will break arrows.

>Diamond Infinite Edge
I don't know much about this bow, but go to a local archery shop and test out some bows (as well as check your draw length). I shoot a Hoyt and just about everyone around me shoots a Hoyt, and the ones who don't almost always shoot a Matthews and proceed to compliment Hoyt.

start with 50 or 55 pounds, you can tune bows to increase the poundage later.
>>
File: Normandale range.png (2MB, 1460x600px) Image search: [Google]
Normandale range.png
2MB, 1460x600px
>>31085110
>>31085665
Depending where you are you could probably find public ranges that have hay bales set up on stands.

Samick Sage or one of Martin's takedown recurves are pretty good ones to start with.
>>
>>31085110
The Infinite Edge is a damn good bow for the money.

However, it's one of those "lifetime" bows designed to get kids into archery and then not have to switch bows as they grow--it's extremely adjustable.
>13-30" draw length
>5-70lb draw weight
>produces 310fps IBO @ 30"/70lbs
>neither draw weight nor draw length require a bow press and can be done at home (follow instructions, own a set of allen keys).

That being said, as tall as you are you might need a >30" draw length.

As a rough estimate, take a tape measure, hold end in one hand and body in the other, and spread your arms fully apart.

Then divide that by 2, and you'll be close to the draw length you need.

Height isn't a great measurement, because you get guys built like me (5'11" with little T-Rex arms, I shoot a 26" draw) and guys like my best friend (5'10" but lanky as shit, he shoots a 32" draw).

The ethical minimum for hunting deer is around 40lbs. Some states have statutory minimum draw weights, for example my state is 45lbs and a neighboring state is 35lbs. You don't see any real increase in killing power past about 55lbs, you just get a flatter shooting bow, and the people shooting 80-90lb compounds are, IMO, kinda retarded as they're still shooting inside 50 yards (a range at which even with large cutting diameter 3-blade broadheads you should be getting full passthrough with a 60lb bow).
>>
>>31085778
>Then divide that by 2
2.5, not 2.
>>
>>31086154
Meh, whatever.

I've got a tester bow at work for that shit.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.