[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would I go about finding what type of weapon was used in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

File: union-cavalry-martin-schmidt.jpg (103KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
union-cavalry-martin-schmidt.jpg
103KB, 900x675px
How would I go about finding what type of weapon was used in a particular Civil War regiment? I had an ancestor in the 6th Missouri Cavalry (Union) and i was wondering what type of carbines they carried. Anyone know any thing?
>>
File: 1445753848667.png (55KB, 380x264px) Image search: [Google]
1445753848667.png
55KB, 380x264px
The 6th Missouri Cavalry was formed in early 1862, odds are they would have been armed with either the Burnside Carbine or the more prevalent Sharps Carbine as the way progressed
>>
I'm also interested. Corporal in the 56th Ohio Infantry.
>>
>>31074886
Spencer Carbine.
>>
>>31074932
Thanks. No chance on a Spencer? Sharps are pretty neat.
>>
File: 1424143317259.png (294KB, 407x429px) Image search: [Google]
1424143317259.png
294KB, 407x429px
>>31074948
Spencer Carbines would have been late war private purchases, very few regiments were issued them.
>>
>>31074938
How do you know? Is there a site that list these?
>>
>>31074958
Thanks. Do you by chance have a source on the burnside/sharps being issued?
>>
File: 1463017523472.jpg (20KB, 550x276px) Image search: [Google]
1463017523472.jpg
20KB, 550x276px
>>31074936
Early War formation would show either being issued the 1855 Springfield or the .54 Austrian Lorenz before being reissued the 1861 Springfield
>>
>>31074958
From my understanding, they we're the most widely used Carbine next to the Sharps, and the Spencer rifle itself was used early on in the Civil War.
>>
>>31074969
Not on me, but that would be based on what the majority of cavalry were issued around Feb 1862. The Union war effort was still kicking into high gear at the time and states didn't have enough weapons of the same type to issue to every unit they sent to be federalized.

Now that I think about it, being a western state it would be unlikely for the Burnside Carbine to be handed to them because they were made in and around Rhode Island.

It's looking more like a Sharps.
>>
>>31074959

>https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_weapons_in_the_American_Civil_War

There ya go. Just scroll down to rifles and you're gtg.

But keep in mind, carbine weren't extremely popular with the Military because they figured it would encourage soldiers to take more shots with less of an emphasis on accuracy, which would be a logistical nightmare seeing as though they could barely keep their muskets loaded.
>>
File: 1252048812856.jpg (39KB, 449x435px) Image search: [Google]
1252048812856.jpg
39KB, 449x435px
Were Confederates using similar weapons to Union cavalry? My ancestry points me to a colonel in the 7th Texas Cavalry (B Co, German Company)
>>
>>>>31075160
Sort of. The cofederates never really adopted a carbine and the tended to stay away from picking them up because they didn't have the resources to keep the carbines supplied with ammo.

Rifles and muskets we're pretty common things the Rebs would take from Yanks.

Swords and Handguns were usually bought by the soldier themselves in the Confederate army.

Towards the end of the war, when the south realized the British couldn't send any more supplies and they weren't going to send help, it became pretty common to see CSA troops armed with whatever they could get their hands on. Wether it be their father's double barrel or a Union, Springfield pattern rifle. The south really never had the resources in the first place to exclusively adopt any weapon platform, they really just made due with what they could.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.