[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Potato cannon? Potato Cannon.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (15KB, 200x133px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
15KB, 200x133px
Not sure if this goes here or on /diy/, but here goes:

/k/, I'm looking to build a potato gun, purely as something to do this week. How do my /k/ommandos think I should build it?
>>
Self bump of shame...
>>
Can cannon for maximum funzies. Fits taters as well as tennis balls. If you're gonna make it yourself then use starting fluid instead of hairspray.
>>
>>31074608
It will burn the threads on the end cap and will blow out. Ask me how i know.
>>
I used to make these when I was younger. Best design by far is a 4" PVC cleanout T pipe to serve as the combustion chamber. put threaded caps on two of the ends. the one on the bottom screw in a couple screws almost touching. attach bbq push button sparker for ignition system. Then use a reducer to neck it down for your barrel. Put a heavy chamfer on the end of the barrel to use to cut out your potatoes over size for a nice bore fit and good pressure. I usually used 1.5" schedule 40 pvc for the barrel, that size fit most potatoes as well as those yellow foam nerf balls which work great as a sabot so you can just throw rocks, dog shit etc down the barrel. Just be sure to not use too heavy of a payload. Being stupid kids once we stuffed a nerf ball in and filled the remaining 4 feet of barrel with water. this worked a few times until the combustion chamber blew up right next to my friends face.

Also, the PVC T serves well as a shoulder stock.

Pro tip: use a female threaded bushing to connect barrel to chamber. this way you can have a number of different barrel sizes and lengths with threaded adapters on the end. I used to have 10 2 foot long barrels that I would pre load with potatoes for quick and easy reloads from inside a sedan.
>>
Not an expert on the building, but as far as ammo goes try frozen oranges, managed to put one through an old rusted out car door once
>>
Never understood why /k/ doesn't do this more.

it's like gunsmithing but much cheaper and easier, and you can get away with some insane shit. There's tons of resources out there online.

Guess it just means the majority of /k/ doesn't actually DO anything.
>>
>>31074165
Go old skool. Trebuchet!
>>
How many potato's does it take to kill an Irishman?
>>
>tfw always want to make a potato cannon
>tfw can't stop myself from making designs that end up being too much trouble

I just want a two stage light gas gun that whips potatoes past the sound barrier
>>
>>31079282
>>
>>31079383
winrar
>>
>>31076026
This, mostly. I love the idea of interchangeable barrels; never thought of that.

Having built a lot of spud guns over the years I have settled on a favorite model. You will need the following:

1.5" ABS pipe x 3ft
ABS Y-joint with 3" port on the ends and 1.5" on the 45 degree port
3" to 1.5" ABS coupler
3" ABS threaded end cap
1.5" ABS threaded end cap
BBQ red push button ignitor
1" of wire with flat attachment for ignitor (if you buy a button it will come with this)
ABS cement
Exacto knife
Drill with .5" wood bit
Bastard file
Aluminum foil
3' wooden dowel / broom handle
Cheapest hairspray you can find

How to:
1. Glue everything together with 45 degree 1.5" port of the Y joint facing the muzzle end of the cannon.
2. Bevel muzzle with exacto knife so it can cut your spuds to size easily.
3. Drill a .5" hole in your 1.5" end cap. Enlarge this hole as needed with the exacto knife such that it fits the body of the BBQ ignitor snugly. You may have to use a file to remove any threads that might exist on the BBQ ignitor.
4. Wrap the end of the BBQ ignitor in aluminum foil so the sparking leads are covered. Apply ABC cement to the ignitor where it will touch the end cap and shove it all together. Remove the aluminum foil.
5. Cut wire to 1", bare about .1" of the end of the wire. Attach wire to the side sparking element of the BBQ button. Ensure gap between wire and end sparking element is ~.25".
6. Wait 24 hours at least before you fire the damn thing.

Operation:
1. Place spud on muzzle and smack it with your palm to cut to size
2. Use wooden dowel as ramrod to push spud nearly to breech
3. Open 3" end cap and spray in VERY SMALL amount of hairspray. A quarter of a second is more than enough.
4. Close end cap loosely
5. Push button.

Troubleshooting:
If no ignition, you have used too much fuel and not enough air. Seriously, you need the TINIEST amount of hairspray.
>>
File: ok.gif (916KB, 245x285px) Image search: [Google]
ok.gif
916KB, 245x285px
>>31076204
>managed to put one through an old rusted out car door once
>>
A few years ago some friends and I built a propane spud gun. I made some styrofoam sabots for it and we fired so much shit outta that thing

Rebar, fruit, cups of rocks, you name it.

To this day there is a foot long piece of rebar stuck In an oak tree

Best part is, every time we fired (remote, using model rocket igniters) it would fly backwards. We even dug a trench in case things went south
>>
>>31074618
how do you know
>>
>>31074165
How well would one of these things work in a riot if you built a bunch of them and had you and your friends fire them off in a volley? I ask because we live at the end of a long street

>Dindarius Q. "Dindu" Nuffins and his gang of friends come to enrich my neighborhood during a riot
>pull onto /k/ommando lane, ignore the signs that say we will shoot looters
>*FWOOMPH*
>"Da fu-"
>Dindarius Q. Nuffins' sentence is cut short as he takes a full sized potato to the face
>*FWOOMPH*
>*FWOOMPH*
>*FWOOMPH*
>*FWOOMPH*
>*FWOOMPH*
>a volley is fired off, and we shoot blanks out of our shotguns off for good measure while they reload the cannons

Basically the idea being to ward off Dindarius Q. Nuffin and his friends without having to go to court for a murder charge and start another riot

Thoughts?
>>
>>31082140
It's unfortunate, but less lethal munitions just make you a target for litigation.

The fastest way to end a threat to your person is to disrupt a vital system.
>>
>>31082140

>hollow out part of a nerf ball
>small section of thin plastic tubing
>fill hollow with gun powder
>cap off with small tube, cover over the rest of exposed space with caulk
>cap tube with primer
>civil war plunger grenade
>>
>>31082140
It'd be a lot less fucking retarded to build pneumatic CS powder mortars
>>
I want to build one with a ported gas system like the "can launchAR". Then use burst disks to ram 100 + psi into the chamber before combustion.
>>
>>31074165
At my old work we made one with steel pipe and used acetylene as fuel, it was fucking brutal.
Add small amount of oxygen if feeling brave/stupid.
>>
>>31082140
I'd say they're lethal within 100 ft. Mine were roughly 10 ft long though
>>
>>31074165
Use this video, but make the cannon out of Schedule 80 PVC and use a 1 1/4" tube for the inner bore instead. Never fails to fire, and you can get some positively ludicrous velocities out of it.
Fire concrete cores made out of quikcrete for maximum FWOOMP.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q508d3k9518
>>
>>31081443
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bP8oCvacvAg
>>
>>31082140
fuck that shit, full barrage of mortars would do the trick.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.