[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Manual Action General /mag/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

File: 20160817_234421.jpg (1012KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20160817_234421.jpg
1012KB, 2048x1152px
Remington QC a shit edition
>my workbench is a disaster sub-edition

Anything requiring user input between trigger pulls welcome. Pump guns, lever guns, break-actions, bolt actions, etc.

Discuss guns, reloading, marksmanship, and collecting.
>>
File: 20160818_135115.jpg (852KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20160818_135115.jpg
852KB, 2048x1152px
>>31072861
Fug.

>old thread >>31021819
>>
>>31072775
>7x57
>.375 H&H
>.416 Rigby

That's all you need.

>>31072861
>muh the gun i bought from my shitty LGS was faulty that means remington sucksssss meme
xDDDD
>>
>>31072887
>muh LGS has nothing to do with the barrel not being round, the receiver not being true, or the first gun having the front action screw driven so deeply I couldn't get the bolt in and the aluminum bedding block was cracked edition

I'd claim you're a paid Remington shill, but they won't even give employee discounts so I know they don't pay shills.
>>
>>31072911
>muh its not like the lgs should have noticed all that shit and immediately sent it back to the factory
You're so fucking retarded bro, you should consider suicide after you're done playing pretend in your friend's dad's basement.
>>
File: 1471029877201.jpg (3MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
1471029877201.jpg
3MB, 4608x3456px
A nice old Winchester.
>>
>>31072887
>>7x57
>>.375 H&H
>>.416 Rigby

Current line-up is as follows:
>.22lr Ruger 10/22TD stainless
>7.62x39mm CZ-527 carbine
>.30-06 Carl Gustaf model 1900 premium bolt action
>12ga Remington 870 Wingmaster from the 70s
>12ga Husqvarna Model 20b ancient under-lever hammer gun

I can own a total of 6 long guns before the paperwork becomes nightmarish.

I'm thinking of getting a Benelli Argo or Sauer model 303 chambered for 9.3x62mm Mauser.
Both are accurate and reliable semi-autos capable of taking detachable mags.
I don't need anything more powerful since the largest game I'm likely to encounter are moose and brown bear, and the 9.3 is more than adequate to handle those.
Norma makes relatively affordable high quality FMJ practice ammo in 9.3x63mm and there is an excellent line-up of hunting ammo.
I have a reloading bench and 9.3 bullets are easily available and relatively affordable if I was going to tailor make hunting ammo.
>>
>>31073315
9.3x62 would take the place of a .375 H&H if you prefer that caliber. It's a good round, just not as flat shooting (though the difference isn't much). I don't think most of us would be able to tell the difference and from what I've read the 9.3x62 is very easy to shoot.

I'm not partial to semi-autos myself, though. I think most of them are ugly but that's probably just because the look is foreign to me.
>>
>>31073503
I wouldn't have a problem with owning a .375H&H rifle, my dad had one and it was nice. But I really want a semi-auto center fire rifle before the EU bans them. And since .375 is belted it wouldn't be appropriate for a semi-auto, 9.3x62 is almost as powerful and common in European auto-loading hunting rifles.
>>
File: sniper rifles.jpg (2MB, 2600x1610px) Image search: [Google]
sniper rifles.jpg
2MB, 2600x1610px
hi im new to k how do i
>>
>>31073872
Needs more big bore.
>>
Tikka sale going on for t3's:
http://www.eurooptic.com/tikka-t3-rifles.aspx
>>
>>31073872
I like your carpet.
>>
Any opinions here on the Browning AB3? I know the X-Bolt has a good reputation, but I don't think I've seen much on the AB3.
>>
>>31075156
Browning feels a little cheap to me these days. I have an a bolt that I really like, but I can't get into the x.

Probably best to go to an lgs and handle one a bit.
>>
Any suggestions for a first reload setup? I'm starting just with .308 and don't really plan on loading more than 2 calibers at a time is a hand press a good place to start?
>>
>>31077129
For what rifle? Hand presses only neck size so are only suitable for straightwall cases or bolt actions.
>>
>>31077129
Hand presses kinda suck. I would recommend either a good single stage or a turret press, depending on whether you're loading for accuracy or volume.

For single stage presses, I would recommend a Forster Co-Ax+some form of culver style powder dropper if you can afford it, and if you can't I'd recommend a Lyman Crusher with a Hornady LnL powder dropper. RCBS's Rock Chucker is also very good but nearly twice the price of the Crusher, which shares an almost identical design and an identical warranty.

For turret presses, the only one I've really liked was the Lyman T-Mag.

I would avoid any and all Lee products. Some of their stuff is okay, some is okay-for-the-money, but most is pure shit. Particularly their rifle dies, they're pure shit.
>>
>>31075156
It's a solid rifle. It's Japanese-made (Miroku), accurate by modern hunting rifle standards, and priced pretty good considering what it is (MSRP of $600 for the composite).

I prefer the X-Bolt honestly, I don't really know why you don't like it.
-short bolt lift (60*)=faster cycling, lower/lighter scope mounts
-good barrel (the one I got to shoot in .204 Ruger printed half-MOA 5 shot groups)
-rotary mag allows 3+1 capacity with even the fat short-mag calibers/4+1 with standard short and long action calibers, and 5+1 with the "varmint" calibers like .223/.204. Basically +1's traditional stagger-stack box mags while allowing center feed.
>EXTREMELY good factory trigger-beaten only by the new Winchester m70's, and only minorly
-kinda gimmick but kinda improvement scope mounts
>>
If I buy a barrel blank how much should it cost to get a gunsmith to thread and fit it to my rifles reciever?

Also how should I go about finding a good gunsmith?

Anyone familiar with western Washington and know a good gunsmith out here.
>>
>>31078545
Barrel blanks are just that--blank.

The gunsmith would also have to profile and chamber it.

This is expensive--pretty much a minimum of $200, and most people worth using are gonna charge upwards of $350 to do it with your blank (which will be an additional $140+). You're generally better off buying a finished or finished/short-chambered barrel and paying a gunsmith $50-150 to headspace it to your receiver (this is generally more economical than doing it yourself because headspace gauge sets are expensive).

In order to find a good gunsmith, you have a couple options:
1. If you know what you're talking about, simply find them in the yellowpages/other-online-presence, and go in and talk to them.
2. Find a range that does serious precision competition, go to a match, and politely ask who the competitors use.
3. Find a local/state gun forum (most states have at least one, ex. Calguns) and ask

If you haven't already purchased a barrel blank, I would recommend against it unless you have the capability to finish it completely yourself. All the big-name accuracy companies sell ready-to-install barrels for $400 or less, including Krieger/Brux/Bartlein/Lilja/Shilen/Hart/Pac-Nor/BHW/Green Mountain/etc
>>
What's everyone's opinion on best barrel makers from a precision standpoint?

For me it'd be
>Krieger=Brux>Pac-Nor=Hart=Bartlein>Lilja>Shilen
>>
>>31078643

Thanks for the info man.

One other question do I have to find a barrel that has the right threading for the gun I have, a Tikka T3, or will any one work.
>>
>>31078700
Most of the big-name companies use the same thread pitch and shank diameter, but due to several different methods of headspacing (shoulder on barrel for Rem/Tikka/Howa vs. barrel nut on Savage/Mossberg) they are generally offered as by firearm model (R700, win70, etc).

Out of curiosity,
1. What action are you trying to barrel?
and
2. What is the end goal of the gun (heavy-barreled tactical, accurate deerblaster, varmint gun, etc)?

I may be able to point you to a good deal or at least some sound resources.
>>
>>31078777

The action is the short action for .308 and I wanted to rebarrel it in 6.5mm of some variety.

I've been wanting to get into more precision shooting, I find it relaxing and it's fun to challenge myself like that.
>>
>>31078854
Alright. Remington, Savage, or Howa action?

Do you have a specific accuracy requirement, or are you still working up your skills?

Any idea of what contour you'd like? If you don't have an idea yet, I'd recommend a Light Palma or M24 profile, they're plenty stiff for most shooters and don't weigh a gorillion tons.
>>
>>31078897

I'm pretty ignorant to much of this stuff, I don't know what kind of action the T3 uses, the best I can find is people saying it has a "standard" action whatever that means.

My shooting is mediocre at best, but I'm going to start getting more range days in per month.

As for contour I was thinking either medium or light palma.
>>
>>31078354
For me it's the fucking stock, the fore end is so fat and awkward feeling. I have big hands and it still feels out of place compared to everything else. I hate it.

>>31078656
Never used a barrel blank for anything, but I hear good things about krieger, lilja, and shilen all the time over on AH.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.