[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Non "Assault" Rifle suitable for combat

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 8

File: hurr im a durr.jpg (17KB, 334x317px) Image search: [Google]
hurr im a durr.jpg
17KB, 334x317px
Hi /k/.

I'm relatively new to firearms and am looking to finish my arsenal. I'm not hugely into guns and wouldn't even consider myself a gun hobbyist; just collecting as a just-in-case-north-korea-invades-and-takes-down-the-grid

I've got a Ruger 10/22 target practice/small game, Ruger Precision for long-range sniping, and Mossberg 590 for home defense/ close quarters.

What's missing is a semi-auto rifle for open combat. I would obviously like an AR-15, but I live in NY state, so that's not an option. Whenever I hear gun control discussions, I hear things like "assault rifle doesn't mean anything, an AR-15 is no more or less deadly than any other semi auto of the same caliber"

What exactly are the options though, for a semi-auto of the same caliber? What are my options for semi-automatic .223 rifle without a pistol grip, adjustable stock, threaded barrel, flash hider?
>>
File: TYPE_I_NYS.jpg (42KB, 600x208px) Image search: [Google]
TYPE_I_NYS.jpg
42KB, 600x208px
>>31072091
An assault rifle is a rifle with selective-fire capability. A semi auto AR-15 is not an assault rifle.
Maybe you're thinking of the retarded term "assault weapon".

A Ruger Mini 14, or NY compliant AR-15. There's multiple models of the latter.
>>
File: ares-defense-scr-shipping-3.jpg (46KB, 1581x371px) Image search: [Google]
ares-defense-scr-shipping-3.jpg
46KB, 1581x371px
>>31072091
You've got a few options. The seven round mag limit was struck down, so you can at least have 10 round magazines.

For another AR compatible rifle, there's the Aries SCR. It accepts AR mags and AR-15 uppers using it's own bolt carrier group. You can also put a Remington 1100 wood stock on it to make it look less skurry. Being able to accept standard AR-15 uppers gives you a wide selection of caliber and configurations to play with.
>>
File: Shootingtimesministandard-final.jpg (38KB, 1000x257px) Image search: [Google]
Shootingtimesministandard-final.jpg
38KB, 1000x257px
>>31072187
The Ruger Mini 14 is an option. It's a more traditional design that uses a simplified Garand action. Older models aren't incredibly accurate, but the new ones are pretty good. One downside of the Mini 14 is that it uses proprietary magazines instead of standard AR mags.
>>
File: SKS_-_Ryssland_-_AM.045810.jpg (440KB, 2050x900px) Image search: [Google]
SKS_-_Ryssland_-_AM.045810.jpg
440KB, 2050x900px
>>31072236
The SKS is New York legal. Leave the fixed 10 round magazine in place and get a pack of stripper clips. With practice, you'll be able to reload almost as quickly as changing magazines.
>>
>>31072236
This.

If you are partial to 7.62x39 you could spring for an SKS, which doesn't even use magazines so you wouldn't have to worry about future arbitrary legislation reducing your magazine capacity. I wouldn't recommend it however. Soviet rifles aren't as cheap as they used to be and 7.62x39 is becoming less popular and less produced by the day.
>>
File: garands1.jpg (55KB, 700x131px) Image search: [Google]
garands1.jpg
55KB, 700x131px
>>31072296
Moving away from intermediate calibers, there's the M1 Garand, though the days of $500 Garands from the CMP are over. The enblock system is pretty fast to reload and .30-06 is a full power cartridge. There are also M1s chambered in .308 as well.
>>
>>31072344
Not OP, but isnt the Garand pretty much sold out across the board save for the sniper models? I've checked their site periodically as of late and haven't noticed a point where there was anything else in stock, except for maybe 2 or 3 years ago when I first looked into it.
>>
File: 1276102756 (1).jpg (6KB, 460x120px) Image search: [Google]
1276102756 (1).jpg
6KB, 460x120px
>>31072344
One option that is easily overlooked is the Remington Woodsmaster 742. This is basically a semiautomatic rifle built on the 1100 shotgun frame. They come in all the popular dur cartridges, like .270, .308 and .30-06. They can usually be found used for under $400. The standard factory magazines are four rounders, but ten round aftermarket magazines are available.
>>
>>31072387
Yeah. Last I looked, the only thing left were .308 M1D models. Supposedly there are more guns in storage that they're going through. The CMP got all the lender lease returns in crates over the years. They have to uncrate, inspect and sometimes repair rifles before they put them up for sale. The worst cases get converted to CMP Special Grade with all new parts, wood and barrels. I know that in 2012, they said there were about four years of guns in the inventory. I think they're about all gone.
>>
>>31072445
Do you have any experience with the various grades of Garands? Do those in the lower end tend to be about as beat to shit as Nuggets, complete with cracked stocks and pitted bores, or are they still passable?
>>
>>31072091
>wanting a semi-auto .223 that's not an AR
In that shitty ass little bitch caliber there's absolutely no point.
>>
>>31072091
Your best option is an AR-15, son. If you're worried about the law get a mag lock or a cuck grip and remove your "assault features" and you're good to go.
>>
>>31072299
>7.62x39 is becoming less popular and less produced by the day.
Wolf, Tula, PPU, etc are not going out of business any time soon. What you might see is a reduction in hunting and match loads, but if you really need those you'd might as well get some non-Berdan-primed brass cases and do your own reloading anyway.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.