[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone here actually fired a STEN? Thinking about making

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: Sten_Mk_2.jpg (141KB, 740x465px) Image search: [Google]
Sten_Mk_2.jpg
141KB, 740x465px
Has anyone here actually fired a STEN? Thinking about making my own (I'm a welder so I'm not new to metalworking) but I've never actually held one hands on before. Does it handle as awkward as it looks? I honestly can't imagine it would be comfortable to use both a rifle grip and a side-loading magazine.
>>
I built one with very little metalworking knowledge if that says anything. Also yes they are comfortable to hold and pretty fun to shoot. Use Apex gun parts for the kit, Indianapolis ordnance for semi auto bolt (unless you want to mill your own) and the new semi auto tube
>>
>>31067849

where's the center of mass? Is it wherever the bolt is, or off center due to the side mag?
>>
It's pretty much where the bolt is, but due to the tubular design the weight of the mag causes it to tip to the side. Granted however, that is counteracted by the way you grip it. The mag sits on your arm if you angle your forearm out just a bit. You can also get tubes that allow you to mount the magazine well vertically instead of horizontally
>>
And I'm pretty sure Zasta on YouTube has a couple build videos for the MKII kit build
>>
thanks for the info anon
>>
>>31068072
No problem, just post the finished product when you're done
>>
Oh and I'd suggest getting a short barrel and pistol grip as well as a long barrel so you can first build it as a pistol and just switch from pistol to rifle carbine whenever you feel like it
>>
I held one and it seemed comfortable enough. My dad fired it in full auto a few times, said it was somewhat awkward but you would soon get used to it. As far as I know he only handled hunting rifles and Kalash copies, so if it was ok for him any gun owner would get used to it too.
>tfw I'll never actually fire it because the dude got v& for all the crazy shit he had
>>
File: DSC_0049.jpg (692KB, 3872x2592px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0049.jpg
692KB, 3872x2592px
>>31067807
>Has anyone here actually fired a STEN?
yeah
>Does it handle as awkward as it looks?
yeah. it's a cool project, and i'll probably do a 2 and 5 eventually, but it's not, like, even remotely useful. kind of a dumb gun to have if you're not a collector or anything. a vertical feed carbine might be okay-ish for inawoods
>>
File: tumblr_nmx9oj2Ojb1s57vgxo1_1280.jpg (53KB, 740x528px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nmx9oj2Ojb1s57vgxo1_1280.jpg
53KB, 740x528px
>>31067807
Why not make a Sterling instead?
>>
>>31068698
> not bilding a MK2
disgusting
>>
>>31068776
Machining the bolt is more complex.

The magazines are more complex to make and harder to find.

There are no build kits for one as far as I'm aware.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.