[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gas rings

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (18KB, 276x183px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18KB, 276x183px
Anyone replace their worn gas rings and find that their accuracy tightens way up?

Mine were shot (bcg collapses under own weight) and I put in new, and my grouping was mucho better afterwards.

Coincidence? Logic? Ayy lmaos?
>>
>>31066189
Why are you surprised by this? Any machine works better with new parts/
>>
>>31066189
gas rings won't effect accuracy, pure coincidence.

i replace mine every 5k
>>
>>31066189
I would imagine the worn gas rings don't keep the bolt as centered inside the carrier. New rings could keep the bolt concentric. Might also help with consistency of the bolt's exact position after cycling because the bolt isn't loose like it would be with loose rings.

You'd have to do more testing to find if there's a real link between accuracy and gas rings. Like proper testing with high quality ammo, a bench rest, a good optic, a very good and consistent shooter, the works.
>>
>>31066189
Anything's possible. Every gun is an individual.

I took the advice of a YouTuber and bought a $5 set of dental tools. The pick is great for getting the little bastards out of there and the new ones in.
>>
OP here my rifle had a vertical spread that was unusual. i had heard from the previous owner who was a comp shooter that his accuracy went out of whack when one of his rings broke.

it doesnt make a lot of sense but it happens, consider this as well: (from outdoorhub)

"I have to disagree about the gas rings. I served for 20 years in the Marine Corps and shot expert every time but one; one year on record day, though, I almost lost my expert badge because of this. I'd been shooting well all week and was having a great day, but when I started my 500-yard slow fire I knew after two rounds something was wrong. I had a vertical string of over two feet, with horizontal spread limited to the usual 6 inches or so. I managed to keep them in the black, but if If I'd been shooting on the targets used at the 200 and 300 yard line, that much variation would have had me in the 3 ring at 12 and 6 o'clock. As soon as I got done that day I broke the rifle down and the rings were lined up. I realize that's a small sample size to draw conclusions from, but it was the only time I'd seen them lined up, and the only time I'd ever had my accuracy suddenly disintegrate in the vertical that way. With my own ARs, I replace the stock rings with McFarland one-piece rings.
Semper Fi,
Captain J.R. Finley, USMC, retired"
>>
>>31066256
this is true. a broken or very worn ring will allow the bolt to fall out of center and i would say this can give you accuracy problems. imagine taking the rings out and firing the weapon; although it would not cycle correctly, your bolt would be flopping around like your weewee inside of baggy shorts on a hot arkansas afternoon.
>>
>>31066302
Your post is a bit funny considering I got an SBR from NEA that is so overgassed it runs fine with no gas rings. 7.5" barrel so it isn't like I'm taking it out for match accuracy. Regardless I'll eventually drill/tap an adjustment so I can dial down gas on the gas block, I just haven't gotten around to it because lazy.
>>
>>31066328
If your gun is that overgassed then a fresh ring is at the bottom on the list of your worries.
>>
>>31066256
based advice anon.

i was bench rested both times and fired 60 rounds with the weird vertical spread and then replaced the rings and did 20 more in a tight group, so it was not completely scientific, but i could put the old rings in again and see what happens again.
>>
>>31066328
>7.5" barrel so it isn't like I'm taking it out for match accuracy.

reduced barrel length does not = less accuracy if the gun is steady, you just lose velocity.

i find your post funny because you implied your rifle was somewhat inaccurate but you felt it was the fault of the short barrel.
>>
>>31066349
NEA just drilled the gas port with the same drill they probably use for their carbine barrels. The rest of the gun is mostly junk, I had to make a new gas block since the original one exploded within 60~ rounds. I made a new one (that would be the one I'd need to modify to make it adjustable), then the hammer pin failed, I made a new one by turning down an induction hardened chrome pin. Those fuckers are harder than coffin nails on wedding night, HSS doesn't even touch it but the carbide cut at 40SFM pretty good.

tl;dr rifle is fine for what I'm using it for

>>31066380
No, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying I don't really care about the groups possibly getting bigger since it has no gas rings.

I've never really bothered checking how accurate it could be. I just blast away within 50 yards and enjoy the giant muzzle brake's thundering flamethrower explosions, it's a hoot.
>>
>>31066448
>tl;dr rifle is fine for what I'm using it for
I dunno man, sounds like a total waste of a perfectly good set of parts..
>>
>>31066462
>perfectly good set of parts
>perfectly good

It's NEA and a lot of the parts have broken already. Not sure what the problem is.
>>
>>31066479
overgassed perhaps?

you exploded a gas block within 60rds and smashed a firing pin? i would say you mayy have a tiny bit of overpressure.

try not to blow your hand off
>>
>>31066509
Read the posts again please.
>>
>>31066515
ok.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.