[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Olympic Shooting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 13

File: _61870360_61868919.jpg (46KB, 624x351px) Image search: [Google]
_61870360_61868919.jpg
46KB, 624x351px
IOC has put you in charge of revamping Olympic shooting, what do you replace the airshit toys they shoot now with? What events do you add/subtract?
>>
>>31062606
I suppose I'd reinstate centerfire biathlon. Other then that I dunno.
>>
>>31062606
There is already trap and skeet shooting. I don't think that adding more gun sports is really necessary.
>>
>>31062606
>what do you replace the airshit toys they shoot now with?
Airgun target shooting is fine, let it have it's spot.

What events do you add/subtract?
full auto grouping event I guess, that'd be fun to watch.
>>
The niggathlon.
> Take away the contestants children
> Inject them full of various drugs
> Give them the shittiest, cheapest handguns I can find
> Proper form is from Jamals car window while holding the gun sideways
> Extra points depending on how low their pants are
> One country automatically wins if they somehow start a BLM movement at the stadium.
>>
Why on earth does 10m airgun gets so much hate here? Sure it's lame compared to other shooting sports but its not the only one that exists.
>>
>>31062673
Because it doesn't involve tacticool'd AR-15s and magdumping
>>
>>31062606

.308 Bolt actions at 500 to 1000 meters. 5 shots at 500, 5 at 750 and 5 at 1000.

3 Gun.
>>
>>31062673

jealousy
>>
>>31062606
Trap and skeet but with glocks.
>>
>>31062606
This is 4chan, so...
Nugget>SKS>Glock Fotay in that order.
>>
>>31062771
Forgot to post the game:
Go innawoods
>>
>>31062606
Everything can stay, add some three gun or similar competitions in. Assuming they aren't already, I don't honestly know.
>>
>>31062751
with scopes right?
>>
>>31062606
>>31062606
For one thing I get rid of the fucking ridiculous jackets they wear that hold their supporting arm in a bent, supporting position. What the fuck is the point in removing a large portion of the skill in a sport in such a way?

The first and only time I went "shooting" I literally couldn't believe I was being given a jacket that held my arms perfectly still so that I could shoot perfectly.
>>
Would be cool if there was like a team house clearing event.
>>
>>31062807
you must have shot 600 then huh?
>>
Reinstate bloodless dueling, maybe add 2/3gun competition.

The second option would give a mandate for the IOC to demand liberalization of gun laws in totalitarian countries.
>>
File: 1470072934098.jpg (55KB, 657x539px) Image search: [Google]
1470072934098.jpg
55KB, 657x539px
Remove 22lr from the competition.
>.308 iron sights at 100 yards
>.223 iron sights at 50 yards
>Remove all equipment they wear except eyes, ears and a cap if sunny
>Standardize rifles, no weird cheekrests, no weirdass sighting posts, standard rifles built by home country to certian specifications.
>>
>>31062807
Why does everyone bitch about the equipment and acts like it shoots the bullseye for them? Its not like if you remove the jacket they become terrible shots. Its like any other sport with specialized equipment. Should archers have to use a longbow too?

If it were feasible id like to introduce centerfire rifles and pistols back in but most countries would not allow it.
>>
>>31062917
Because most of /k/ just sprays at the range and doesn't know shit about marksmanship.
>>
Replace airshit with

MG42
>>
File: tumblr_llng4jYgIp1qbcq8ao1_500.jpg (117KB, 500x387px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_llng4jYgIp1qbcq8ao1_500.jpg
117KB, 500x387px
>>31063015
>>
Fastest time to dump 100 50cal rounds down range while hitting a numbered target at 400 or 500 metres.

Winner is determined by score per second.
>>
>>31062655
Edgy
>>
>>31062917
Because it gives the sport a bad image.

No shit the gear doesn't shoot the bullseye for them. A triply-ply squat suit doesn't automatically let you squat 1200lbs when you put it on either. That's not how the average joe thinks, though. People like to think that they would be capable of the kinds of things these athletes do with enough time and dedication; thousands of dollars worth of goofy-looking equipment distracts from that illusion and diminishes the sport in peoples' eyes. It makes the sport less fun to watch and, in turn, diminishes its popularity.

It's also far removed from the practical utilization of the techniques involved. This is the same reason 3gun is more fun to watch than ISFF, HEMA more fun than Olympic fencing, MMA more fun than olympic wrestling and strongman more fun than equipped powerlifting.
>>
>>31062606
3 gun
Military service rifle unscoped 300/600 yards prone , standing, kneeling and all three positions
>>
>>31062606

Leave it exactly the way it is just to piss off all the autists and gear queers here.
>>
>>31062606
Easy.
Take the shooting sports people actually care about and use that.
Basically take camp Perry and let the weird little countries in.
>>
2 gun, 3 gun. Score formulated by hits and time.
>>
>>31063158
Do people like watching camp perry? From the people I talk to they hardly like being there themselves.
>>
>>31062606

three-gun, two gun, cowboy action, Camp Perry style service rifle competitions and IPSC events added. keep all the current events.
>>
>>31062606
Free for all Nugget war.
>>
>>31062786

speaking of that, a summer biathalon involving land navigation to get to a randomized target locations would be awesome. use an algorithm to make sure that all the contestants have a unique route of comparable difficulty. for extra fun parachute them into the course.
>>
>>31063213
I can't speak for everyone but I enjoyed it the few times ive been. Its not exactly 'riviting' but it beats woman's tennis and its a pretty accurate representation of useable skills.

Plus theyve added some cool stuff like an MG shoot and a tactical carbine course 3 gun thing.
>>
>>31063087
Im going to have disagree with you on some points. Regardless of what theyre wearing bullseye shooting is by its nature a boring sport for most people. It has verly little to no dynamic action that gets the public amped up.
Some of the jackets look cool and the guns are like something out of a scifi movie, i dig the aesthetic i can see why some dont.

I never thought about it ruining the illusion and you make an interesting point there. All of the equipment does make it appear like the bar to enter is superhigh and may discourage people from trying to get into the sport.

As for your last point this may be a semantic argument but i say olympic shooting is the highest display of "practical" shooting technique and skill. The ultimate goal of any shooting sport is to hit your target, doesnt matter if you run/ski between each shot, if its your dinner, if they shoot back ect. If you take a bladed stance in the middle of an iraqi town odds are youre dead before you hit the ground, but if pvt snuffy ignores the fundamentals that olympians have mastered hes wasting shots (im ignoring covering fire because that is not involved in any shooting sport to my knowledge).
I understamd where youre coming from, and in general the more removed the sport is from its closest real life equivelent the worse it is but not in this case. All of shooting relies on the fundamentals, it doesnt matter how many extra things you add to it.
>>
>>31063401
Agreed. This is why I was careful to avoid implicating myself personally in this common opinion. I understand fully that every sport has huge barriers to entry plenty of weirdness to boot. The 12 year-old watching his first WL (or, more likely in our testosterone-bereft times, sprinting) competition has no idea of the thousands (probably millions) of dollars required in coaching, steroids and adjuncts required to be internationally, or even regionally, competitive, however, does not. The successful sports do a good job of hiding those realities which, I think, is a major contributor to their success.

Personally, I wouldn't change things much. I would add some sort of 'dynamic' shooting competition such as 2gun but I agree that the bullseye comps are the absolute refinement of the fundamental shooting skills.
>>
I would add in summer biathalon.

And ipsc or 3 gun.
>>
simple event,

Long shot

>Any rig under 20kg wieght, any cost any bullet all provided by the contestant, any scope
>start Man Sized target at 1500
>1 miss you're out. Every round push it back 100 yards.
>last man standing wins
>>
>>31063635
Yeah, something along the lines of the winter olympics cross country/.22 shoot.

It would be a whole lot harder when you have to run for a mile before each set of targets.

At the last Winter Olympics, I can remember one event where it was so windy, they just took penalty laps around a track instead, because the .22lr was just being blown off target.
>>
>>31062606
F-Class baby. Belly shooters have it going on.
>>
>>31063094
Watch incredibly unrealistic marksmens rifles get named as 'standard military service rifles' across the second world faster than you can say 'Aircraft Carrying Cruiser'.
>>
>>31062606
Can only use weapons from their own country.
>>
>>31062628
that's a winter sport
>>
Team on team bloodsport, with SKS (no aftermarket).
>>
>2 & 3 gun events
>IPSC/IDPA events
>F-Class shooting events
>Service rifle events like the those offered by the CMP
>50m target pistol

Also, for pentathlon I'd replace the air pistol with a real one.
>>
>>31064330
Who said shit about seasons autismo?
>>
File: newman.gif (499KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
newman.gif
499KB, 500x375px
>mfw /k/unts get butthurt when euros and chinks beat them at their own handpicked tacticool replacement "sports"
>>
Remove air guns

Rimfire rifles/pistols in their own events

Centerfire rifle/pistols in theirs

Shotgun stays the same
>>
>>31063258
Underrated.
>>
File: 1388602273715.jpg (35KB, 288x288px) Image search: [Google]
1388602273715.jpg
35KB, 288x288px
>>31064693
We're only butthurt because war, moon landings, and economic supremacy aren't Olympic events.
Just like how how the french are mad that rifle dropping isn't a sport, the Brits are mad letting your empire fall to shambles isn't a sport, or how China is mad that having a borderline feudalistic agrarian society in the modern world isn't a sport.
>>
2 gun action challenge
>>
>>31064718
Seconding.
Why isn't long range target shooting a part of this?
>>
>>31064773
>war
>lost the last two
>>
500m Rifle (.308), 1000m Rifle (.308, .338, .50 BMG), 2000m Rifle (.50 BMG), Team Artillery (Single Event, 155/152 Towed, put 10 rounds at 5km, 10km, and 20km, scored by accuracy, weighted for distance) and of course, Tankery.
>>
File: Showdown[1].jpg (96KB, 576x632px) Image search: [Google]
Showdown[1].jpg
96KB, 576x632px
Just do standard IPSC/USPSA stuff. Shoot classifiers only if they want to standardize it a bit more.

Hell, do Steel Challenge if they want to make it more rigid but still interesting. They've got standardized stages and the scoring lends itself well to electronic hit/miss scoring that the IOC seems to love (They already do this at high level Steel Challenge).
>>
>>31062606
>ITT: retarded shit that even fewer people would watch, also the same retarded shit having no entry for youngsters to get involved thus destroying one of the few structured pipelines remaining to get children involved in shooting and guns

good job guys
>>
>>31062751
>>31062796

Yeah, with scopes and spotters like the sniper team competitions the military has.
>>
>>31064693
It makes sense that Italians would win shotgun sports though, Italy has a very strong tradition of shotgun sports.
>>
>>31065223

no one cares about reasoning or logic in this thread
>>
>>31062606
Death match between 5 man/woman teams. Any weapon, any kit. Arena is constructed to look like an industrial setting.

Its a fight to the death, 5 prisoners taken from any prison in the country. Winners take home gold medals and are cleared of all charges. Losers pay the ultimate price.
>>
File: 164.jpg (32KB, 469x463px) Image search: [Google]
164.jpg
32KB, 469x463px
>>31065493
>>
all rifle events are now done with Garands.

all pistol events now down with 1911s.

new event using simunition. man on man combat inside a simulated urban environment.

tank biathlon
>>
>all these people posting like they're trying to be featured in a le epic /k/ screencap
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (59KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
59KB, 1920x1080px
>>31065504
Sounds like you're a slack jawed faggot.
>>
>>31063087
This

I'm a pretty average dude by most peoplesuccessful standards I'm 6'3 260 and squat 475, deadlift 530 and bench 325. I run a half mile in 2:33 in boots and hit usually 9-10 out of 10 man sized targets from 500 yards in the unsupported prone with an ACOG on an m4. I enjoy watching the NFL, mma, strongman, 3 gun and shit like that exactly be used of the reasons you stated. Because I just think "wow look at that guy, he mustve been shooting rounds for days to get that good" or "goddam that defensive end is a monster, he's probably in the gym squatting 5 plates for 20 reps like its nothing".

The very last thing I wanna see is some faggot with thousands of dollars in gear being proficient at a sport. Like no shit he's good, he's basically bought a +5 on everything.

Imagine how gay it would be if Michael Phelps was lapping people in the pool with a snorkel and fins on. It's the same as building a sweet ass muscle car in your garage that makes 900 horsepower versus some chodes going out and buying a GtR
>>
>>31065563
Holy typos batman. Sorry guys I'm on my phone
>>
>>31062655
The time you spent typing this would've been better spent tying a noose and hanging yourself.
>>
>>31065563
*shanks your cervix*
>>
File: 64607955.jpg (107KB, 497x719px) Image search: [Google]
64607955.jpg
107KB, 497x719px
>>31065562
>>
>>31062917
Archer here: I fucking hate Olympic archery, and yes, I'd see their gear stripped to a tab, armguard, and bare 30# recurve with a shelf if I had my way.
>>
>>31066839
And they should wear neon green tights. And pointy ears.
>>
>>31062606
.22LR

At least it's a "real" round.
>>
>>31067054
No. They should use equipment on par with the majority of archers in the world, and showcase their actual skill, dealing with all the variables that bows usually have.

The modern olympics completely miss the fucking point in ALL shooting sports. It's about human competition and skill, now who has the best stabilizers on a FUCKING BOW.
>>
Insert an NRA High Power event.

Let the airgun guys keep the one they have. It's way more accessible than other shooting sports in most countries.
>>
File: gabriela_soukalova_biathlon.jpg (180KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
gabriela_soukalova_biathlon.jpg
180KB, 800x600px
Bump for olympic qts
>>
>>31062606
Add 3gun.
>>
>>31062606
Add 3 gun, reinstate centerfire service rifle events.
>>
Anybody here actually know anything about air rifle shooting? I want to get into the sport but I don't know where to begin... Plz I just want to bring /k/ to gold in the 2020 olympics
>>
>>31062606
>10mm
>one-handed
>moving targets
>>
>>31062655
It's okay anon, I got a laugh out of it :)
>>
>>31062606
Add a 500 and 1000 yd/meter shooting event. Add 2 and 3 gun events.
>>
>>31062897
>certain rifles built by home country
At that point it would become a competition less about skill and more of whoever can design the most accurate gun.Shit HAS to be standardized so the outcome is solely that of the contestants
>>
>>31067748
I'd say use google to try and find local programs. I shot for my school team but a sportsman's club near me has a league as well which I'm debating joining because I did pretty well.
>>
>>31062655
Kek
>>
ITT: muricans want to turn a sporting event into a warzone. Didnt you start/lost enough wars already?
>>
>>31062606
>OP Doesn't realize how easily an actual olympic shooter could kill OP with a single shot from a simple pelet gun with minimal effort, much faster than OP could even put his greasy Cheeto fingers on his Highpoint.
>>
>>31067373

Man I can't wait for the winter sports season. Biathlon is GOAT.
>>
I think it would be neat to have some kind of long range competition where the targets are set increasingly far away, like pole vault gets higher or something.
>>
>>31069297
Have you seen how long it takes for them to actually shoot the target?

And

Those rifles are limited to shooting projectiles that only generate 7.5 joules of energy.
>>
>>31062606
100m ironsite grouping. 2 sighting rounds followed 4 groups of five rounds with the result being the average of all 4 groups. The rifle is to be the host nations service rifle and ammunition.

100, 200, 300 target shoot.

2 sighting rounds followed by 5 rounds at 300m prone supported followed by 5 from the unsupported. 5 rounds at 200 kneeling supported and 5 from the unsupported and finally 100 standing, five rounds supported followed by 5 unsupported. Winner is best of 30 in the event of a tie it becomes a sudden death with competitors doing the same as above in reverse order till someone drops a shoot. Rifle and ammo is same as above.

I'd also add a .308 1000m bolt action target shoot and a 9mm 25m pistol shoot with moving targets.
>>
>>31063286
This would be some good shit. Fulfill some oper8r fantasies
>>
>>31064384
I didn't know Dallas was going to be hosting the Olympics.
>>
File: smug anime lesbian.png (37KB, 215x216px) Image search: [Google]
smug anime lesbian.png
37KB, 215x216px
>>31064773
You seem upset
>>
>>31063650
>>
Add in long range centre fire marksmanship. No 2 gun or 3 gun, or cowboy competitions, due to how few countries make it easy to get into shooting. Certain countries will just butcher others, but then again like another anon said, it might pressure countries into being a bit more open on gun laws
Thread posts: 96
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.