[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am in the market for my first rifle. I know that this makes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: which one.png (301KB, 1320x627px) Image search: [Google]
which one.png
301KB, 1320x627px
I am in the market for my first rifle. I know that this makes me a no-funs outsider to this board, but I digress. I have been lurking for some time, doing lots of research and trying to figure out what I should get.

My use of this firearm will be:
Range time
SHTF
Possibly deer hunting (I would like to learn to be able to hunt for survival if necessary)

Now, here is where things get difficult- I am on a budget, and would like to eventually get another rifle of the same platform for my girlfriend who lives with me in case things really hit the fan.

To further complicate matters, I live in California, so my options are very limited. Could you shed some light on these three options given these parameters?

Century WASR-10
PROS:
Low maintenance, easy to field strip
7.62x39 good for deer (?)
CONS:
Not as accurate
Would need bullet button

S&W M&P 15:
PROS:
Lots of extra parts, could slowly buy upgrade parts and eventually have two 'frankenstein' type builds available for GF and I
Very accurate

CONS:
Smaller caliber not suitable for deer

Ruger Mini 30
PROS:
7.62 could work for deer (again, not sure, read mixed things)
Featureless so doesn't need bullet button

CONS:
bad reputation (light strikes, accuracy diminishes due to barrel heating up)
bad accuracy (6-8 MOA out of the box?)
Seemingly overpriced for what it is

Any help here? Any way to mitigate the cons? I am leaning towards Ruger

Thanks in advance
>>
Get a Mosin
PROS:
- Low maintenance, easy to field strip
- 7.62×54 good for elephant
- Very accurate, and if you somehow miss then you will kill it thanks to the shockwave anyway
- No need for extra parts, just snipe like Simo Häyhä, but if you need you can put a scope on it and be Zaytsev... or cut it in half and go partizani inawoods
- What is this bullet button thing you speak of comrade
- For the price of any of those you could buy like 10 Mosins and a bucket of ammo
>>
Just get a fuckin Mosin. Then an SKS, a TT-33, REM 870, then a Ruger 10/22
You just covered every need for a firearm for under $2 000

Fuck ARs they're just not as practical for the price
>>
File: 1352804663219.jpg (661KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1352804663219.jpg
661KB, 1024x768px
>>31060802
get a VZ-58, bullet-button it, and reload it with CLIPS.
>>
>>31060802
The AR is the best all around rifle, but if you don't intend to practice a ton, you won't really notice the accuracy difference. Mini-30 a shit, but the Mini-14 and Mini-300 are now "acceptably" accurate (meaning under 4MOA from a rest).

The Mini-300 is certainly neat, that's probably what I'd buy if I was a Califag who couldn't track down an ARES.
>>
My first rifle, and only one so far, was a yugo sks. Easy to maintain, easy to strip, cheap enough ammo, all-round pretty fun to shoot.

Mosin maybe, but they're starting to become less economical given its initial price
>>
>>31060802
SKS. An argument can be made in favor of stripper clips over magazines. Still semi auto. get some old surplus ammo pouches and give the middle finger to magazine bans and bullet buttons.
>>
>>31061262

I looked at an ARES SCR but they are a little too much for what I was wanting to pay

>>31061414
>>31061620

I looked at SKS but I have heard that they are more expensive than what they are worth now.
>>
>>31060802
Not reading all that.

If you want a gun that works out the box that you don't plan to customize, and also don't want 556 get an ak.

If you want anything else get an AR

Mini30
A
Shit
>>
>>31061829
They've gone up a bit, but you can still get a great quality, historic, military standard rifle for $500 easy. For that, you can't even get your M&P 15 sport.

Don't get a mini. They're overpriced plinking guns. If someone is selling one for like, $400-500, then maybe, but the Mini is an overpriced plinker. If you like the M1 style action, get a Garand, a Carbine, or an M1A, because they're all great guns that will serve you infinitely better than a Mini 30 for your price.

If you're worried about Shit hitting the fan, and you're on a budget, get an SKS. It's semi-automatic, it has stopping power It has a 10 round attached magazine, which, as long as you don't upgrade it, should make it ban safe. You can't go wrong with one.

Also, when people say they used to be a lot cheaper, there was a time when you could get one for $99-$120, before all the import bans and shit. This was a different time, though. For $500($350, if you buy a norinco), you will get something that will serve you well.

Or get an AR, while you can in california. They're reliable guns, ammo should always be plentiful in a SHTF situation, and parts are cheap.
>>
>>31061193
>Get ar for the same price as a Russian sks
>Get and infinitely better rifle and cheaper ammo
>>
>>31060802
Fellow commie here, you can always get the Ruger mini next year because it's featureless so it's not covered by the upcoming ban. I would get the AR regardless because 5.56 is far more common and ARs are good quality for the price. Most cheap AKs are out of stock or shit. Also, most AK ammo is steel case and some are bi metal jacket, and most ranges will not let you shoot bi metal jackets. Some ranges are retarded and treat steel case the same as magnetic bullet. By the way, you're gonna need a bullet button on the AR too, at least for the rest of this year. Next year and beyond, bullet buttons are no longer considered fixed magazine, and you would need to register it as an assault weapon, go featureless, or use one of the new bullet buttons that may or may not be legal next year.
>>
File: SCR.jpg (53KB, 639x346px) Image search: [Google]
SCR.jpg
53KB, 639x346px
>>31061075
>>31061193
>le mosin meme
holy fuck stop shilling the literal worst issued rifle from 70 years ago.

OP there is no reason not to get an AR especially if you are in the US, you think 223 isnt suitable for deer? check your fish and game regulations, in most states its allowed and i'v killed deer with 223, if you trust it to kill a human why the hell would you not trust it to kill a deer? and yes there are a shit load of parts even if you do live in california, so you can build in however many of the millions of variations there are, if you're afraid to kill deer with 223 for some reason you can get a different upper just for hunting and thats how easy it is.
>>
>>31064503

For the record, I went into a gun shop to ask questions yesterday.

They had some Mosins but they were all $500+

>side note: the owner/operator was a total asshole

I figured that 5.56 would kill just as well as 7.62, but 7.62 was the minimum size required. I am just now learning this stuff, and am planning on taking a hunter safety course after I finish my research, decide on a rifle and purchase it.

>tits for your time
>>
>>31064503
>the literal worst issued rifle from 70 years ago

that would be the Carcano, even the Finns hated that shit, and they'd use a Mosin over one anytime
>>
Why don't people in california just modify their weapons to not need bullet buttons?
>>
>>31060802
OP, coming from another Californian who loves gun rights, DEFINITELY get an AR15 or AK rifle. Or an AR15 for you, and an AK for your girlfriend. They're going to be gone soon enough.
>>
>>31066409
Because anon, that would be ILLEGAL.

Obviously if it's illegal you cannot physically do it and make sure no one ever knows what you've done so you wouldn't get in trouble ;)
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.